Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer or All-seasons in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004 | 01:51 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Default Summer or All-seasons in winter?

So, I was just wondering how summer tires would work in winter? I'm not going to drive the car when there is snow on the ground and a few days after till all of the snow is cleaned off of the street. I have the option of taking a bus to school when ever there is snow on the ground. That's why I think I can pass on winter tires since I won't drive in the white stuff. The other option is some nice all-seasons like the Falken Ziex-512.
Old 11-14-2004 | 01:55 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

I don't think summer tires drive any worse when its cold vs when its hot. Its the fact that they can't drive in snow at all that makes them "summer" tires. But if you're not going to be driving in the snow (same boat, only have S-03's), you should be fine.
Old 11-14-2004 | 02:03 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

I used to spend a lot of time on the s2ki forum. They used to say that there stock S-02's won't grip the street under 40*F. So that's why I am wondering if anyone here had any experiemce with them.
Old 11-14-2004 | 02:10 PM
Matt H
Race Director

A true summer tire is not great in the winter. As to not gripping at all, I think that is a pretty big exaggeration. If there is snow on the ground you probably are going anywhere, however. We will see, I have a set of S-03s on the BMW, if they dont cut it after the first snowfall I will switch to another set of wheels/tires.
Old 11-14-2004 | 02:38 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

I was exagerating a little on the "no grip". They are just not as good as all-seaons. What do you guys think are the best all season tires. I've drove a bimmer with Falken Ziex-512's and it seems pretty good. I'd like something that's either 215/60/15 or 225/50/15 and that is the best in the dry and pretty good in the wet even if it has a tradeoff for snow traction.
Old 11-14-2004 | 04:57 PM
Dave
Race Car

I'm trying to remember how long it's been since Matt moved north, I guess it's only been since spring. The best comparison I can give is to my old RE-730s, there was a very noticable difference in handling once the temps got below ~50 degrees and it gets worse as the temp gets lower. I have a set of snow tires that I usually put on in early December and by then there was no difference in handling between the 205/225 summer tires and the 195 snow tires (I haven't driven on the Fuzions since it started to cool off so I can't compare to those). My guess is that the softer summer compound just didn't work at low temps. If you only own one set of tires and live somplace that gets cold enough for snow, you need to stick with all season tires. If two sets of tires is an option, have a set of summer tires and a set of snows. The second choice is definitely worth it as you'll have better tires 10 months out of the year and outside the initial purchase price of a ugly set of winter wheels it won't cost any more since you'll only be wearing out one set at a time anyway. For me the only downside is storage space, then again I also have a set of autox tires taking up space and I'm not giving those up either.
Old 11-14-2004 | 05:18 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Summer tires will lose traction A LOT FASTER in snowy conditions compared to all seasons. Snow tires are your best bet for winter if you get plenty of weather. Ive had the S-03s in snow before. It was a bright sunny day out, and net thing you now a snow storm hit! Who would have guessed? They were kinda funny in slush and snow, but if you take it real easy they are ok. The highway was ok since it wasnt really slippery. It wasnt really accumulating all that much either though. I wouldnt risk it in anything more though.
Old 11-14-2004 | 09:57 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I drove my car for an entire winter on P6000s. Regardless of the fact that those tires just plain suck, they sucked even worse on ANY kind of snow or ice. There where literally times where I could NOT get the car to move without somebody getting out and pushing it a bit first (much to the chagrin of my girlfriend at the time). I have since graduated to a set of Michelin winter tires and it is almost like driving in the rain at worst, unless the snow is REALLY deep.
Old 11-14-2004 | 11:14 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator

Originally Posted by iloveporsches
I don't think summer tires drive any worse when its cold vs when its hot.
Not true - not for all tires. A friend of mine that has had his share of performance cars recently picked up a new Boxster with P-Zero's. He said the first time he drove the car under 40 degrees it felt like he was on ice. Now I'm not staying this is the case with all summer tires, but be careful.
Old 11-15-2004 | 12:11 AM
x15jq
Track Day

I have Pzeros on the 951. They are really good in teh rain, but mine have alot of tread left. Its been real cold here like 29 in NJ the last few days. They still grip great, but at the limit they slip a little easier, still really good tho..

My dad has the Pzeros' on his clk500 and he got through an nj winter, but now since there almost down to the TWI's he needs new tires. A bad worn tread sucks in the winter, but if you have alot of tread left, you can ususally get by.
Old 11-15-2004 | 12:27 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your help guys. I guess it's going to be all-seasons since I live in Chicago. And I am not going to drive in snow but it will be cold. What are some other good all seasons that are either 215/60/15 or 225/50/15? So far the Falken Ziex-512 seem good.
Old 11-15-2004 | 01:09 AM
boffam
Advanced

Summer tire compound turns to plastic in the cold. I still have the Michelin Pilot Sports on until Tuesday, but the other day at about -3C, I stood on the gas from a stoplight and made like a top fuel car doing a burnout. Read: no grip. I can't imagine how bad they would be with ice or snow or even cold water on the road...considering a set of winter tires costs roughly your insurance deductible, its lunacy not to put 'em on!
Old 11-15-2004 | 01:25 AM
Dave
Race Car

Falkens are crap (they will never again be on a car I own). If that's the price range, I'm very happy with my Fuzions but I haven't had them through a winter yet (and since the snows will be going on the car in a couple weeks, I won't be finding out if they're any good in cold weather).
Edit: Sorry, just checked and the Fuzions are summer tires.
Old 11-15-2004 | 01:28 AM
Chase72
Racer

Any of you try these Winter Performance Tires before? Bridgestone Blizzak (LM-22) or the Pirelli Winter 210 SnowSports?
Old 11-15-2004 | 08:32 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I live in area that gets plenty of snow and cold. You can get by on summer tires if the roads are dry. But as for snow or ice, don't even think about using summer tires. I have driven SP8000's, S-03's, and ES100's in snow and they are all the same. They are treacherous with virtually ZERO traction. IMO it's just not worth risking your safety to save money. Get winter tires. There is a world of difference when you have the right tires.

Quick Reply: Summer or All-seasons in winter?