Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer or All-seasons in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 12:14 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

can pay, last i checked like $60-$100 a tire
To put things into an even stranger perspective, I have spend more $$ than that each on bicycle tires.

So, to me, paying $150-$200 per tire for car tires seems cheap! LOL.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Matt, i understand what your saying and i totally agree, if i had the money to have dedicated summer/winter tires that would be great, but i am 21 w/a 2 yo, and have a mortgage to pay,
I hear you and I really am sympathetic but if this is the case maybe you should get something more practical.

I just put BFG AT's on the wifes blazer,
Why? Does she go hunting? Camping? Trailblazing?

When you get to the south it will be much easier, summer tires year round!
Old 11-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a mint burgundy interior with uncracked dash and unfaded rear carpeting and seats, then I'd suggest all-season tires in the snow and ice, particularly Kelley-Springfields, or maybe even Uniroyal.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:00 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by marky522
And that was total BS, I have a 2 yo son who is in my car everyday, i have driven many miles on these tires without a problem, and exactly how long did you use them for?
That was NOT a personal attack on anybody, just my experience and my mechanics experience who has run into "issues" with Kelly (and other brand) tires over his 20+ years of being in business.

Like I said before, I didn't use the Kelly tires for very long. Having an Audi Quattro slip and slide in the rain like mine did was enough to pull them off ASAP. I only drove with them a couple of days, that was enough. At first I wasn't sure what the deal was, this was my first Quattro. My mechanic took it for a spin (in the rain), he came back and apologized for ever mounting them (even though he was doing me a favor to begin with since he gave them to me). He has 3 Audi Quattro's so he is vary familiar with their handing. He threw on my Blizzaks - night and day difference.

If I had a 2year old and living on a budget I would be driving a late 80's Volvo - dirt cheap to own & buy - the most bulletproof car money can buy.

I know what it's like to have a P-car on a budget. I was just turning 18 when I bought my 944. It sat through spring / part of summer one year because I did not have the money for new tires, sat again later that year due to no funds for the clutch.

I also agree if snow is not in your area, you can get away with summer tires even in the cold. Please keep in mind my opinion on tires comes from Wisconsin winters.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:38 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAHA, i can backup that late 80s Volvo comment! Father's got an 87 Volvo thats still going strong and hasnt seen a day in the shop! (and it is NOT kept up like my cars even in the slightest, sadly!)
Old 11-15-2004, 03:29 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the misunderstanding here is that I currently an P-carless.... Had to sell it to work on the house to sell it to move to NC.... All in all to become a P-car Master Tech... Anyway, This is coming from somone who drives in MI winters.

Matt, I was willing to get the BFG AT's for the wife because she HATES driving in snow and has to drive country roads every day for work 30 + miles, anything i can do to make her feel safer in a car i will.

I am unsure of Volvo's but I have been buying and selling cars for 10 years and the Hondas are a great car, only problem is in MI at about 200K you need to worry about the body falling off...

MArk
Old 11-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 442 Posts

Well, maybe it's just me or the car, but my dad has a Jaguar X-Type and it comes with some contintental contitouring contact AS tires. I know the car doesn't handle amazing with them but he drives it year round. And he's never ever bought winter tires for any of his cars. But it's intersting that with the AS tires, the Jag felt perfectly solid on snow and ice. I couldn't get it to break loose at all. And I was changing lanes really fast and often on 4-5 inches of snow at about 70mph. No problems. I can take corners at fairly fast speeds. I could drive at the speed limit when it was snowing hard and everyone else is driving like 10 mph vs 45. Granted the car is AWD, but I can only imagine what AWD + Winter tires would be like.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Oh, and my budget is under $80-$90 per tire.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It probably has ABS and traction control, too...(?) And it is nose-heavy; has a significantly more distinct center of gravity than a 944. You are comparing apples to oranges. 944s on A/S tires have a little bit more grip and control than a hockey puck.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:29 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by Sillent Killer
.......but my dad has a Jaguar X-Type ...... snow and ice. I couldn't get it to break loose at all.
Oh c'mon, how hard were you really driving your dads new Jag in the snow?

My Audi in the snow? Trip to Twin cities took only 30 minutes longer coming home in a blizzard 75% of the way. I was doing 75-80, most others were doing about 30. It was late to not much traffic. I passed a sh*t load of plows and a few officers in the median. I am very suprised I did not get pulled over, then again maybe they figured I'd be in the ditch so why bother.
I will admit, if I want to I can get her to spin out pretty damn good.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:09 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
To put things into an even stranger perspective, I have spend more $$ than that each on bicycle tires.
Me, too! What kind of bicycle tires are you buying? My favorites are Vittoria Corsa CX tubulars. (Now we are getting really OT... )
Old 11-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tony K
It probably has ABS and traction control, too...(?) And it is nose-heavy; has a significantly more distinct center of gravity than a 944. You are comparing apples to oranges. 944s on A/S tires have a little bit more grip and control than a hockey puck.
I wasn't really comparing, more like stating. hehe I know there is a difference between RWD and AWD. I'm starting consider just buying winter tires, even though I won't even drive the car if their is any hint of snow in the forecast or if there is snow, ice, slush, etc. on the ground.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:28 PM
boffam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sillent Killer
Well, maybe it's just me or the car, but my dad has a Jaguar X-Type and it comes with some contintental contitouring contact AS tires. I know the car doesn't handle amazing with them but he drives it year round. And he's never ever bought winter tires for any of his cars. But it's intersting that with the AS tires, the Jag felt perfectly solid on snow and ice. I couldn't get it to break loose at all. And I was changing lanes really fast and often on 4-5 inches of snow at about 70mph. No problems. I can take corners at fairly fast speeds. I could drive at the speed limit when it was snowing hard and everyone else is driving like 10 mph vs 45. Granted the car is AWD, but I can only imagine what AWD + Winter tires would be like.

Those are the same tires that came with our (RWD) Bimmer. They were adequate the first winter when they were brand new but there was no way I was going to risk it with a summer's worth of treadwear, so they were swapped for LM-22's last winter. I drove through some brutal snowstorms that first winter, ironically enough. So it is possible to get away with A/S...I just could not recommend it in good faith to anyone. Especially after seeing what a difference real winter tires make...
Old 11-16-2004, 09:17 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Not true - not for all tires. A friend of mine that has had his share of performance cars recently picked up a new Boxster with P-Zero's. He said the first time he drove the car under 40 degrees it felt like he was on ice. Now I'm not staying this is the case with all summer tires, but be careful.
He's talking about my car. I've been driving sports car through the snow for awhile(Northern PA 1969 to 1992 and WI 1992 to present) and I guarantee you high performance summer (not all season) tires are dangerous below 40 degrees even on dry roads and even with lots of thread.

The 17" Pzero N2 tires on my Boxster are the worst tires I've ever tried to use in the winter.

I use a set of 16" wheels and Michelin Alpins for the winter and I hardly notice a difference in handling except in understeer conditions on dry pavement.

IMO put the car away, don't drive in the snow, or buy dedicated snow tires for all four wheels preferably Michelin or Dunlops.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

I just posted a thread for the Dunlop Winter Sport M2s I have for sale. 205 & 225 16 from a 968.

They will fit any 944 with 16" rims. I want 225 for all four plus actual shipping.

they have very few miles on them.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/170384-for-sale-16-snow-tires-dulnop-205-and-225-a.html

Quick Reply: Summer or All-seasons in winter?