Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer or All-seasons in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 442 Posts

I need tires for 16's. What is a good cheap winter tire for around $60-70 that is a 195/65/15?

And can anybody please reccomend me the best all seasons that are either the 215/60/15 or 225/50/15? I know they aren't ideal and will never be as good as summer tires, but I just want to know an alternative. My budget for all-seasons is under $90.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:32 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 442 Posts

And where does Evil944t live? I live in the stonebridge subdivision right off of eola near the North Aurora and eola corner where the 7-11 is. There is also a Jewel, bp gas, dunkin donuts and baskin robins, etc. Does he live around there?
Old 11-17-2004, 09:43 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SK - he is off of 34 behind Fox Valley Mall. I am about 15 miles south of there in Plainfield.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the thing about having seperate winter tires; in the long run it's cheaper.
Look at it this way, A decent set of snow tires can be had for under $400 (sometimes well under) including mounting and balancing. Decent summer tires will usually cost more (often a lot more). For several months out of the year you can have better traction by using cheaper tires, this saves the expensive tires for use in the summer. $200 will get you an ugly set of PDs that the snows can be mounted on and years later you'll sell those wheels for the same price you paid for them.
Sizing is a big part of this,a narrow tireworks best in snow but most of us install wider summer tires. The choice is this, stock size all season tires and never have good grip, summer tires that $u(k in winter and get worse as they get wider or the right tires all the time. To me, it's a no brainer.
BTW, a 944 on snow tires is an amazingly capable ride when the white stuff is flying, better than many AWDs.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:59 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Above all safety concerns with a car, tires are probably the biggest. All the acceleration, braking, and handling your car can muster are useless if it can't grip the road. Yes, brakes are vital too, but they are only as good as your tires can grip the road. I NEVER scrimp on tires. Never compromise. If you are trying to operate a Porsche on a budget, stop wasting money on fiberglass front ends, fancy wheels, chips, exhaust pipes, stereo, etc., and if nothing else, put good tires on the car.

The first two winters I had my 83, I had good all-season tires on it. After randomly sliding in unusual directions for no apparent reason, and having to travel significantly slower than all the other cars when there was a trace of snow on the freeway, fearing goind down a straight hill, and spending so much time behind the wheel biting my nails and saying Hail Marys, I decided to try snow tires. The Q-rated Blizzaks. Man what a difference. I would never think of using all-season tires again. There is no excuse for putting a compromise tire on a car like a 944 that needs it so badly. No one told me about snow tires; I learned about them on my own. You have the benefit of a forum of people who are more experienced telling you what needs to be done. Take their advice seriously and be thankful for the advance warning.

After sucking at my first autocross, I got summer performance tires to replace the A/S. Wow. What a difference that was. In both winter and summer, I drive with confidence. You do not know control in the winter until you drive on a good snow tire.

There is no excuse for driving a 944 in the snow on all-season tires. It is not safe, and the only correct thing to do costs only a few dollars more than the absurdly foolish thing to do. If you can't afford to put decent tires on it, leave it in the garage and buy a Hyundai.

Last edited by Tony K; 11-17-2004 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

I put snow tires on my Legend Coupe about five years ago. I drove up to Vermont in a blizzard. The sucker went through everything. When I sold the Legend to buy the Aurora I gave my brother the snows. He went through two or three winters in his 84 944 with those snows, nothing stopped him.

He gave the snows to Scott when he bought the car, and is regretting it now that he has another 944.

I put Dunlop snows on my Z28 when I bought it last year. When there was about six inches of fresh unplowed powder on the street I had to make a decision, pick dinner up in the FWD 30K Aurora or the RWD 10K Z28. I took the Z28 and as long as I didn't push the 300+hp through the wheels it stuck like glue.

I mentioned earlier I have a set of Dunlop M2 snows for sale. Even if I wasn't selling a set I would recommend snows. I just bought a set of snows for the Aurora.0

And Tony, just read your sig. Im gonna ask Pat if I could buy you a vowel or two

Quick Reply: Summer or All-seasons in winter?