Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chip Tuning a 968 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 01:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Chip Tuning a 968 6spd

Hi Gang,

Iam fairly new on this board though I have been posting on some of the other boards here for a good few years now.

Looking to do a deal on a 1992 968 in December. This will be my daily driver and occassional track car.

I would like to chip the car if there is a reputable tuner that has managed to get anything extra out of these babies (like there is with the 993s).

I seek you help and guidence on thsi as a newbie 4 pot owner. Any other worthwhile modifications would be welcome

Cheers
Old 11-11-2004, 02:32 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A guy on 968.net (flash) has recently done a test of all commercially available mods for the 968 -- including chips. These were tests done on dynos looking for the best combination of commercial products. The results are meant to be published "any day now" in the 9 (nine) magazine, but apparently they're having logistical issues. Anyhow, you can head over there and find the discussions about chips.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks mate. Appreciate the tip. Will have a look at that site.

Unfortunately we dont get "9" magazine so will have to have a looh on 968.net.

Cheers
Old 11-11-2004, 08:09 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The chip test has been talked up for over a year-don't know what the results will be, or how accurate they are. I'm having my car dyno tuned over the winter, so I'll have some useful data then. This will be more expensive than a generic chip, which will suffer as it's not custom burned for each car-I'm willing to spend more money for more performance than a cheap chip.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

I just noticed you're a Kiwi-there was a member of 968.net, CS Mark, who is from NZ and some success with a combination of three things-cat back free flow exhaust, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and an AmD rolling road rechip. Search around on the net you may get some useful info from him-this is what I'm basing my upgrade around, but I also have a 100 cell cat, and am considering headers as well before I get the car dyno chip tuned.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Damian,

Your a star. Thanks for the tip. I will look "CS Mark" up now and see if I can find out what he did and where he got his products from. Thanks again mate!

Cheers
Old 11-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Macca, glad to help-you can return the favor some day, see if your front brake ducts would fit the space on the 968 if you ever have them out.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:19 PM
JediAgent
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by josephsc
A guy on 968.net (flash) has recently done a test of all commercially available mods for the 968 -- including chips. These were tests done on dynos looking for the best combination of commercial products. The results are meant to be published "any day now" in the 9 (nine) magazine, but apparently they're having logistical issues. Anyhow, you can head over there and find the discussions about chips.
From the last time I talked with flash, he wasn't going to release the dyno information until "9" was published. Which like you say is "any day now" i was told two weeks two weeks ago, so....

Otherwise, Macca, if you want more info regarding worthwile HP mods, 968.net has some good info, although i like these boards better for the newer software the larger number of people (directly relational to the larger number of idiots and super-funnies) Flash should be giving out a good helping of mod info soon. Some street legal and some not.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Guys,

Damian - Thats a great idea. My 968 doesnt arrive until Xmas (importing it from Asia) - but as soon as I get it I will try. I too am interested if these will fit. I have some LED bulbs (festoon 39mm 9 led brightwhites) which should arrive anyday which I would like to fit to the turbo S duct "marker lights". I believe these will give much more light and a white rather than yellow cast. As such I will be playing with the ducts extensivel and therefore will give your suggestion a try....stay posted.

Greg, Thanks for the info. I have read the "flash" thread. Most of it turned out to be a debate on ethics shich was unfortunate. I cant get "9" mag here so Im reliant on that thread for info. Illegal mods in US are no doubt leagal here (would you believe we have no emmissions regs or noise regs to note - too smalll I guess). Thus I can probablt try bypass pies and other such stuff here with easy as long as the parts can be sourced and are "direct fit".

Ideally I really would like another 10hp and 10-15lbft out of the 968. Obviously my suspension and brakes will need attention too. Thecar has done only 45,000 odd miles so hopefully will be in good mechanical shape. I was hoping I could swap my 993 brake calipers and rotors over to the 968 which would give me a great excuse to put big reds on the 68 - anyone done this?

Cheers
Old 11-11-2004, 10:27 PM
JediAgent
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brake idea sounds fun. I would assume what you have are the commonly refered to "big blacks"? I don't know much about brakes, but that seems like a logical resolution to me.

Flash is actually hoping to get between 30hp and 40hp from a certain set of mods (exact components yet still a mystery) and a similiar upgrade in torque. Im not sure what he is doing, but i know he has dyno'ing to prove what has been done so far, even though everything isn't done yet (or it is done, and he is waiting on something to let it all loose) - regardless the guy seems very knowledgeable and reasonable about this venture. Nice guy too, i just started emailing him out of the blue and he invited me to a car show with a half dozen other 968'ers. Good times.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Greg,

Thanks for that. Im really to keen to hear Flashes findings. Please post here when they come out - though ill keep an eye out on the 968.net board.

Im envious of the guys in the states - we didnt get many 968s here and there are few people that have done modifications on these cars. With the 993 I spent alot of money learning or teaching the porsche mechanics here on certain mods - dont intend to do that with the 68. Nice low cost mods - thats what I want :-)

Cheers
Old 11-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Whenever someone proposes a mod, I always wait for others to try it to see if it works. I've saved myself some grief this way, I suggest you do the same. The 944racing 968 short shift kit is a perfect example-until a few people installed them we didn't find out that some cars needed to have the linkage modified. 944Racing was great in taking mine back and altering it in record time, by the way. We may get some useful information out of the chip test in 9magazine, but I'll wait for others to try it out and see if there are any untoward effects. 30-40hp is way beyond what established tuners, who do this for a living in professional shops, come up with when they dynotune with exhaust and intake mods. If an intake change and a plug in chip do this I'd be shocked.

Quick Reply: Chip Tuning a 968 6spd