Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MI car show moves to SW Ohio this July

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 04:32 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts
Default MI car show moves to SW Ohio this July

One of my air cooled buddies is a higher up in the Mid Ohio Region PCA and does a number of car shows a year. Formerly Porsches to Pinckney (Michigan) the car show will be moving to Oxford, OH this July with a new name to be determined later.

The show drew well over 100 Porsches last year in Pinckney, but this year my buddy is orchestrating bigger and better things and is pulling out all the stops as it moves to its new home in Oxford. I promised him a grandiose turnout from the water pumper crowd, and also my best effort to pass along what info he has so far:

Show: July 30 2005
Registration: $15 includes t-shirt in advance, no shirt w/o preregistering
Location, Oxford, OH near campus of Miami University. Directly downtown.

Tidbits:

The downtown street(s) will be closed off completely for 14hrs to accomodate the participants and attendees. Theres is a covered parking garage locating just seconds from the area that will be available for overnight parking for those staying over. Apparently from our exchange of emails, the Oxford Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau wet themselves with the thought of endless Porsches being showcased along their quaint city streets so they are jumping through hoops for it.

One of the restuarant/bars downtown will be reserved for show participants exclusively all day. Not sure which yet. Theres a hotel about 25 feet from the downtown staging area that will be basecamp for the organizers as well as the accomodation of choice for those coming from out of town. More on this later.

Oxford is in rural SW Ohio about 60-75 min from either Dayton or Cincinnati, toward the Indiana border. Its a college campus town that houses Miami University. Old streets, shops, dining, etc etc. The location is as good as it possibly gets.

I have a few more details I cannot remember but I'll check my notes tonight. I can say this though, my buddy does absolutely nothing half-***. Hes been doing car shows/concours for years and has forgotten more than I'll probably ever know. So you can expect a first class effort.

Im pretty sure most of the attendees at the Pinckney show will attend this year, but with the more central location to Dayton, Cincinnati, Louisville, Indy, we're hoping for a lot better, perhaps even 200+ cars. The only thing really hurting the Pinckney show was location and perhaps a lack of vision.

So waterpumper people take note. Ive flat out promised a ton of 944s, so you have to make me look like a visionary considering this is the 944 capital of the contiguous 48. July 30 was chosen so it would not interfere with other shows like Taj, Tweeks, etc.

Old 11-09-2004, 04:36 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll be there.

FYI, when I used to race bicycles, we used to do a criterium race there in the downtown every year. The downtown is very cool and has a lot of good restaurants and bars, and the locals really get into big events like this.

The cars will look really nice down there with all of the cobblestone roads. For the most part, the main roads are really smooth, but some of the side roads are a bit dicey. If you are careful, lowered and be-splittered cars should be OK.

Thanks for the heads up Chris.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:49 PM
jasonbd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are some great drives out there. Hills to the south and long, flat, empty stretches to the west and north. I bought the 944 after I had graduated, so my driving experiences there came from a 1979 Honda 400cc and a 1978 Ranchero GT, so it can only get better.

As of last fall (my first reuion) there was only 1 hotel "downtown", but there are some great bed and breakfasts and various lodges and cabins in Heuston woods state park.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:54 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Sure sounds like a good time and location to schedule the 944Fest.. (hint hint hint). I realize the three day weekend over the 4th helps some folks, but I would think lots of people wind up with family committments that weekend that keep them from making it (hint hint hint).

I'm hoping to bring at least a couple of KCWS'ers with me to 944Fest, but won't be able to make it if its on the weekend of the 4th (hint hint hint). lol

Anyone else wanna chime in?

Regards,
Old 11-09-2004, 04:54 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm in.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:14 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey you may want to cross post this to the 928 board as I know we (928ers) had a pretty good turn out. Sorry to hear that the owners of the Blue Martini and sponsors(?) of P2Pinckney went bust, but life goes on. I'll mark the date on my calendar.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:25 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[QUOTE=Andrew Olson]Hey you may want to cross post this to the 928 board...QUOTE]

Done. I'll put it up on the 993 forum, also.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:48 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

More information on this:

Ive been told the entire downtown area of Oxford will be cordened off for this. Adjacent to the downtown area and included in the amenities are a park, plaza, fountain, and band shell area.

The Elms Hotel (division of Holiday Inn) will be the central ops. The hotel is right downtown and directly in front of the festivities. Directly across the street is a covered parking garage that is supposedly going to be available strictly for show participants only, to park before and after the show.

Bill and Marylynn Roe who engineered Porsches to Pinckney last year remain involved in the transition to Oxford. Along with my buddy Brice Kadel they searched for the right venue to move it for several months and after scouting downtown Oxford personally and speaking with the Oxford visitors bureau, it appears the city wants us as much as we want their location.

I must say I didnt go to Pinckney last year but saw photos and it looked like a well run event. However Oxford is going to make it a more regionally attractive weekend with ample pull from the major cities. Indy, Louisville, Lexington, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton alone are all within 2hrs.

As they work out the preregistration process, I'll let you know what to do.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pete944
I'm in.
I'll park next to you.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:13 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sweeet, ill be blingin in my one four by den and have my shizl all wizz-iss..iszz...ellled..or something.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey Chris,
Is this a Porsche only show?
Just curious, doesn't matter, I'll be there.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in as well.. of course.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:31 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wade B
Hey Chris,
Is this a Porsche only show?
Just curious, doesn't matter, I'll be there.
Yezzir.

Quick Reply: MI car show moves to SW Ohio this July