Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightened Flywheel in 944 n/a.. worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Skoot, just got a respone from Speed-6...they are in stock again. Still not sure which one im going to get though....
Old 11-03-2004, 10:55 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by RMills944
Ask "ken c" about the lightened flywheel.
i searched for Ken C but did not find any matches. any hints?
Old 11-03-2004, 12:29 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

944racing.com seems to be down .. anyone know anything about that?
Old 11-03-2004, 12:56 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SKooT1027
944racing.com seems to be down .. anyone know anything about that?
They are out of business, last I heard. Or, at least they are not producing/selling products anymore.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:05 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, no space - try his info here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/23490-kenc.html
Old 11-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

The shift **** on your car shortened the throw. it is shorter than stock.

Not trying to be a killjoy, but you should have changed the clutch the day you bought the car. If you did you be enjoying the car instead of taking advice from a 16 year old - the only one telling you how great it is.

If the flywheel is bad, then maybe upgrade, otherwise save your money for future repairs. The car is 20 years old.

You got an exceptionally clean 944, just change the clutch and drive it, after a year of using the car start upgrades if you want. Read what Tifo said, the revs will drop faster making shifting a little more difficult, you are still new at the clutch. Just drive the car and enjoy it. You will do fine in the occasional autocross or DE just the way it is.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:50 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

taken directly from paragon products' website:

"Aluminum flywheels have been used for many years for increasing performance. Not only will you see a dramatic increase in usable horsepower, but engine life can also be extended since there will be less stress on the crankshaft. To achieve the greatest increase in performance , we must reduce the amount of horsepower needed to turn the flywheel so that horsepower can be used to turn the wheels. The flywheel itself is made from either 6061 T6 or 2024 T3 CNC machined aluminum depending on the model. The friction surface is very special. We use a 1050 high carbon, alloy steel. It is incredibly durable allowing the use of just about any clutch disc material available from organic to Kevlar and even sintered iron. We attach the friction surface using aerospace nuts and bolts or 304 stainless steel rivets depending on the application."

so take it for what it's worth. aluminum is probably better than a stock steel flywheel that's been machined to reduce weight.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So if he goes with the aluminum flywheel, how much horsepower is he going to get for $625? I would say he is paying at least $100 per pony.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:53 PM
RMills944
Drifting

When following ken's 944, I can say he didn't pull away from me... I'm not sure how light that flywheel was, but it didn't give him much power... all I'm saying is don't expect a miracle.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:06 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RMills944
When following ken's 944, I can say he didn't pull away from me... I'm not sure how light that flywheel was, but it didn't give him much power... all I'm saying is don't expect a miracle.

I honestly do not think that is a good empirical test. You are leaving to much to chance there as far as driver capability, car tune, condition, wheels, traction, tires, etc.

What it does give you is a freer (is that a word?) revving car. In situations like an autocross, it is nice because coming out of a slow corner, you might just see a small advantage in getting back up to some sort of speed. It may not be much, but a hundreth of a second is sometimes the winning margin in modified classes.

I personally don't recommend a lightened flywheel as a standalone kind of mod on a street car, but on an autocross car that has a lot of other stuff done to it, and has a driver that is very in tune with his car, it's a great "while you are in there thing".

And BTW, I don't buy POP's argument about the lightened flywheel being bad for the motor. That's bunk, just like his opinion on SUV's.

Last edited by tifosiman; 11-03-2004 at 05:20 PM. Reason: had to add a smiley
Old 11-03-2004, 05:25 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Campeck
now. If you went with lightened internals and clutch and all that good stuff. the thing would rev like a ferrari. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

or not. haha. anyone know FOR SURE?
I want to do this to.

Not going to happen, I have all the lightened internals, while it does rev faster than stock, it's no Ferrari.

I am about to replace my lightened stock flywheel with a stock flywheel to add a little weight back to the drivetrain, because I do not like how quick the rev's drop.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:41 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
taken directly from paragon products' website:

"Aluminum flywheels have been used for many years for increasing performance. Not only will you see a dramatic increase in usable horsepower, but engine life can also be extended since there will be less stress on the crankshaft. To achieve the greatest increase in performance , we must reduce the amount of horsepower needed to turn the flywheel so that horsepower can be used to turn the wheels. The flywheel itself is made from either 6061 T6 or 2024 T3 CNC machined aluminum depending on the model. The friction surface is very special. We use a 1050 high carbon, alloy steel. It is incredibly durable allowing the use of just about any clutch disc material available from organic to Kevlar and even sintered iron. We attach the friction surface using aerospace nuts and bolts or 304 stainless steel rivets depending on the application."

so take it for what it's worth. aluminum is probably better than a stock steel flywheel that's been machined to reduce weight.
lets be honest now, this is the description for a product that paragon is selling. they are making over $300 of profit on each one of these. how do i know this? because i know where to get the same fidanza flywheels for $319 including shipping and if i can get them for that price, paragon sure as heck can.

at $319, you have to consider the cost of resurfacing and/or rebalancing a stock flywheel during a clutch job - the difference in price is not so much that a lightweight flywheel is such a bad idea.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom R.

Not trying to be a killjoy, but you should have changed the clutch the day you bought the car. If you did you be enjoying the car instead of taking advice from a 16 year old - the only one telling you how great it is.
excuse me? I dont think I would be questioning (no matter what the age) someone who probably knows more about your car than you do. I have been through the NA and the S2 nearly bumper to bumper and rebuilt both engines......so think please.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I stand by my original comment Scott.

Andrew found the lightened flywheel for $319 which sounds like a good price compared to finishing a damaged flywheel. but spending the $319 would in my opinion come into play only if the original needed work. I've had more than my share of stock and modified cars over the years. The great thing about a 944 is that stock it is a pure sports car that is also an easy daily driver. Do you want to sacrifice driveability for a few HP?

I would put weight on the opinions of those that actually have a drivers license and experience taking turns at 50mph. You were in my Camaro and my S2 back to back. The Z28 is a lot of fun for the first half hour, after that, the stiff ride and rumble from the V8 get to you. Just ask my brother, he drove it for a few weeks after selling you his 944. Thats why he ended up with another 944. The Z28 was modified for short trips, or trips on smooth roads.

I am lazy, and wouldnt want to have to work harder in day to day NY traffic. Decide where you want your $$ to go. I personally wouldn't do too many go fast mods to a daily driver.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:58 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

tom, when you say "needs work", do you mean needs to be resurfaced and/or rebalanced, or something more than that? i would assume that every flywheel should be resurfaced during a clutch job so that there's a fresh mating surface for the new clutch disc.

Quick Reply: Lightened Flywheel in 944 n/a.. worth it?