Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightened Flywheel in 944 n/a.. worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 11:20 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Andrew,
I was saying it more in financial terms. When the spread is $600 keep stock, when the spread is say $100 then give thought to the driveability issues and decide. When between $100 and $600, well thats a gray area with other long term goals for the car (like lots of track time, no track time, where you will be driving etc) factored into the equation.

For example, I really like the new GTO because out of the box you get 350hp in a balanced fairly easy to drive package. To get 350 hp out of a 944/51 you sacrifice a lot of driveability. I like the GTO because it handles real nice for a car with a useable rear seat. To get that handling out of the Z28 I had to sacrifice a lot of driveability. But driveability is a very subjective thing. I really liked the balance of handling and comfort my Legend Coupe offered. I want the same quality and comfort of the Legend Coupe with a useable rear seat, the 944s handling, and the Z28/GTOs straight line all for under 25k new.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I would put weight on the opinions of those that actually have a drivers license and experience taking turns at 50mph.

what the hell does driving ability have to do with technical know how. I did not tell him to do it or that it was great. I said I thought It would revv faster(verified by others) and that If he went with other peices he MIGHT have one mean machine. I even asked if this was true.
first you come out of NOWHERE saying im just a 16 yr. old.
then say I dont know how to drive?

I stand by MY original comment......THINK .
Old 11-04-2004, 07:10 PM
blargonator
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

before you buy it just learn a little about lightened flywheels. you guys have completely forgot about the areas where the weight is taken off. if more is take from the outside (as most of us should know) it will seem lighter while spinning. if you want to keep it as a daily driver that revs faster you might just want a nice simple one with a lot of weight taken away from the middle section. just my 2 cents. <8- )
Old 11-04-2004, 07:28 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blargonator
before you buy it just learn a little about lightened flywheels. you guys have completely forgot about the areas where the weight is taken off. if more is take from the outside (as most of us should know) it will seem lighter while spinning. if you want to keep it as a daily driver that revs faster you might just want a nice simple one with a lot of weight taken away from the middle section. just my 2 cents. <8- )
well i'd imagine the aluminum flywheels are universally lighter because of their materials vs. the stock steel one
Old 11-04-2004, 07:44 PM
KenC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just did the Speed 6 Racing short shift kit and linkage ($260) Great service from them directly..They followed up with me via phone that everything went smooth.

I think the stock taller lever may be better. The taller lever works the leverage better. Plus the **** rattles, even with dyno-matt under it.

The alum flywheel was a nice upgrade. I am glad I did it. I can feel a difference in the upper rpms. Highway driving from 60mph to 90mph look out! Big complaint is the noisy rattle that comes with the new SPEC stage II clutch. That some say is also from my flywheel. Been confirmed that everything is fine, but that this noise comes with the turf of having the clutch and flywheel. I do not like this noise at all....Sounds horrible and as if I'm in the wrong gear all the time at lower speed. (1 and 2 at speeds of 10mph to like 25 mph.) May think twice next time with the mods that bring this noise to my car!!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 07:46 PM
KenC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Search my links on subject by KenC (Note no space between)
Old 11-05-2004, 05:18 PM
KenC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bump

Quick Reply: Lightened Flywheel in 944 n/a.. worth it?