Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 02:29 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Autocross suggestions

I am hopefully going to an autocross next weekend. I was wondering if you guys had any tips for me. Tifo I know you are an expert!! Anyways, like what tire pressure I should run....compared to max psi. Umm....shoes? I have never autocrossed before so any help would be great, thanks.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:35 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If its your first time things like tire pressure and shoes are not going to make all that much difference. The best advice for first time autoxers is to walk the coarse before the event. Walk it 10 times until you know every turn and curve there is. Get down low at the corners in a squat so you can visualize what its going to look like from the seat of your car. Try to see the best lines and figure out what you are going to do and how you are going to enter each turn.

Besides all that just have fun. Brake it loose the first run just to say you did, the coarse workers will love you for it.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:40 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brake it loose the first run just to say you did, the coarse workers will love you for it.
I suggest the other way around. Start off slow add a little each run. For your first run the important thing is to follow the course and get a feel for it. It is not unusual that I can pick up a second or more on each run. If you have not hit any cones then you have not pushed hard enough! Push a little harder on each run then if you want to give it everything you can on your last run. My fastest time is normally the second to last run. I almost always push too hard on the last.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:17 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, being your first event, go knowing that it is going to be a fun learning experience, and not expecting to do well.

Walk the course many times as stated above, and if you can, walk behind/with some more experienced people. They are going to make comments as to best lines, which side of a cone to go by at the start of a slalom, etc.

Is it an SCCA event or PCA event? Or other? PCA events don't allow ride-alongs, but if it is another sanctioning body they probably do. If they do, try to ride along with an experienced driver on their first run. That will give you a good idea of correct lines, brake zones, etc.

Don't get discouraged if you don't win your class the first event out. .951's are not the best autocross car due to turbo-lag, and they sometimes get stuck in a tough classification. Go thinking that the main thing is to see an improvement in your times from the first run to the last.

As far as tire pressure goes, I wouldn't worry about that too much this time. Just make certain that you don't have any low tires, stop by a gas station and get them up to normal recommended pressure if possible.

After you get to the event and register, go about removing all of the extra crap from your car. I generally remove the hatch carpet, spare, tools, jack, supplies, spare oil, etc. Get anything out of the car that may move around during the event (don't forget to get rid of the floor mats). Tech will check your wheels to ensure they are tight (95ftlbs), your wheel bearings for play, and your battery to ensure it is tied down and the positive terminal is covered. You may want to ensure all of this is up to snuff before you leave your house.

That's it. Just go to have a good time. Have fun!

Old 10-22-2004, 08:22 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

drive the first run slower than you think- cold tires and brakes can be damage inducing. (ask Brian Perry..) as stated before, be very farmiliar with the track layout. you need to learn what you can and cant do. a slower time is better than a DNF.

You need to get your technique in order before tweaking the pressure or adding sundry items.

Take an experienced co-driver on your first few runs.

I suggest everyone take a quick run with Tifo- and bring a spare pair of shorts!
Old 10-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought xsboost always beat tifo at auto-x
Old 10-22-2004, 08:38 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, it's your first Auto-X? Prepare to get humbled. LOL.

Walk the course. more than once. For your first AutoX, the best you can do is to not get lost on any runs. After that, worry about smoothness, and not ploughing thru the slaloms. Worrying about setup probably won't come till next season.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:54 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

campeck- no but we are always very close competitors. Its nice to have someone that is a good drive that you can compare times with.

definitly take everything out of the car- my first autox the stuff in the consule was flying all around in there and scared the crap out of me. My g/f has the routine down, empty the glovebox, empty the consule, behind the seat, quarter wells, floor mats, sunroof out, etc...
Old 10-22-2004, 08:59 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, first time out is going to be a bit challenging if you expect to perform well against experienced competitors. BUT, if you go out with the idea that you're going to get a handle on the elements of autox, both driving and car prep...you'll have a blast!

I autoX an 85.5 NA and have worked my way from 60 somethingth in fieldd of 70 to Top 20 in about a year and a half with nothing but basic mods to the car and very helpful friends who have been open about driving advice.

Don't think it hurts be aware of car prep your first time out...but the odd are that you'll come away thinking your 944 pushes like a pig. Why? Because in street (or even street mod) trim in the hands of a first time competitor it will!!!!!! Then, over time, you'll come to understand that about half of that pushing is about technique (especially smooth braking and throttle action to balance the car during changes of direction and speed) and your ability to ID certain kinds of turns during your walk through and choose a line that asks less of the front tires.

The other half of the built in pushing problem can be addressed by various prep issues that include tire pressure (higher front and lower rear will help fight push), front/rear stiffness and roll resistance (for autoX, front should be softer and rear should be stiffer, generally) and alignment (r compounds lover negative camber, especially in the front for turn in and in the back to help the car hook up on exit and resist excessive throttle oversteer once you've stiffened the tail).

Simple, huh? Acutally, it does sort itself out over time, so just concentrate on being smooth and gathering info on your first time out and you will have fun.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:24 AM
ljd-924SE
Racer

on my first few times out, i was lucky enough to be offered a ride in more experienced driver's cars before heading out on my own. it doesn't help you guage your speed that well (because they were going much faster than i could), but it does help you memorize the course so you're more comfortable going through the motions when it's your turn.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:52 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Oh yeah, learning the course is kinda confusing....and an issue confined to first timers either
Old 10-22-2004, 01:35 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I would definately recommend riding with an experienced driver in a car that is somewhat similar to yours, i.e. not a guy in a mini, but not a guy in a Z06 either. And if you get lost on course or are having trouble ask someone to ride with you. I was lucky enough to start racing with some experienced people who helped me out a lot.

Most importantly, don't be afraid to spin out or hit cones. I was at first, but now that I realized that spinning isn't a big deal and any "cone damage" you may pick up will easily buff out.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:08 PM
faithless
Pro

Anybody here from AZ been to an autocross? I've never even spectated one! Sounds like MORE than fun!!!!!
OT:
Tifo, how did you get that turbo front end? I immediately assumed that it was a turbie.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:26 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep... Been to alot of them. PCA runs great one around here!

Here link to the Local PCA... http://az.pca.org/

Next one is Oct 31st at West World in North Scottsdale.

Old 10-22-2004, 03:34 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Don't run H-rated tires on the track like me... it gets annoying to people listening to your car screech really loud around every corner....the sliding is fun though

Quick Reply: Autocross suggestions