Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 Speaker System Removal '89 Turbo (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 05:04 PM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ramius, you might want to go looking over on Pelican, as I started a thread recently that has all of the information you need.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=416756

Short answer is that you can still get the speakers from Porsche, if you don't mind going OEM. I just got the 2 mid-range speakers from my dealer yesterday. They weren't even that expensive.

Regarding putting the 6-1/4" in the rear: Only the 87+ cars have the cutouts already for the round speakers. The '86 only has an opening for the 4x6 set. You can still cut out what you want, but they are not there stock, so you might just want to put whatever size you want to in there.

Good luck,

Keith

Last edited by kdjones2000; 07-14-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Fixed rear woofer speaker size
Old 07-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, the rears for 88 Turbo S (& many, but not all 87's) have an opening for 6.5's- not 5.25. It's not round though- the outer edge of that speaker frame was square & the while the opening is rounded, there are edges involved which will make it a bitch to seal properly, w/out doing some sort of adapter plate- simple to do, out of wood though. I put 5x7/6x8's in there & did not have to cut ANY metal at all. Just made a wooden adapter plate & angled the speaker into it slightly & it's done... I'm planning to take some pics soon, if anyone wants. A friend just put 6x9's in there though- he did have to cut some metal & sealing it was sort of tough, although I think he could have angled it slightly himself & had an easier time...
Old 07-14-2008, 04:57 PM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Here is what I got for measuremnets for the rear woofers:

Speaker size: ~6-1/4", hole-to-hole size: ~6-3/4"

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showp...2&postcount=33

Keith
Old 07-14-2008, 09:24 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

For what it's worth, if anything:

Old 07-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keith- I thought you had typed in 5.25 for rear, not 6.25- but yes, technical mesaurements vary slightly- I've seen actual measurements on what they call 6.5 go from ~6.0 to ~6.75, depending on brand. Nice pics from the Pellican board.

75ohm- NICE install- very clean!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:17 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi Phil:

I have the same speaker set-up as you.
Can you tell me or take a pic of how the wires are connected to the tweeter? I was looking at the tweeter and saw 4 connectors, whereas most speakers only have two.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by phil0618
Hi Robby,

I've seen your posts numerous times and it is a pleasure to make your acqaintenance.

Yes, I'm pretty sure its all 'stock'. However, I will tell you that several items have model numbers labled 928 (the DIN connector leading from the cockpit to the passenger cubby for instance), the amps that are built into the rear speakers have 968 model numbers I recall correctly. I've included some pictures below in no particular order that show...

1. The rear speaker with amplifier attached. The label on the speaker says Nokia with a 968 model number as I recall.

2. The Alpine amp that I found mounted under the passenger seat. There were a couple of dedicated bolts there mounted to the chassis and a bracket that both look like they were intended to hold the amp. Amp is labled Porsche 02 but also has the Alpine name on it. Further research leads me to believe it was a Alpine 3501.

3. Pics of front doors showing Woofer, Midrange and crossover. Tweeter is not shown - it is mounted up high on door far forward near the window switches.

Note too the door panel clearly illustrates were the mid was located previously (see the little solid square next to the woofer). Now the mid is far forward and built into a factory 6"x4" mount that covers the original mounting area in the door where the 6x4's originall went.

I have a Becker head unit which is not stock, so its possible that numerous items were changed out to create the current configuration, but I dont' think so. Look at the wiring harness on the 6.5 that is power + ground + signal... clearly a factory implementation not something an aftermarket shop would do. Also, look at the pic that shows the alpine amp and then the amplifier attached to the rear speaker. You can see the parts configuration on the circuit board looks like half of the Alpine.

Anyway, it was far more sophisticated in a lot of ways than I expected. Like you, I had done some research, so when I started this project and found what I did, I felt like I was on an arheological dig.

Now that the KLA sub is in and all the sound deadening and seal replacement is done it really does sound pretty sweet. Better than I expected. Tweeters are a bit too bright but that cold be the product of rather low end amplification. I'm contemplating an Alpine 7995 (you can find them used on Ebay) which are supposed to sound pretty great and are CD/Tuner/Pre-amp only which would work fine.

I had heard that in late 1994 Porsche started making some changes to the 968. For instance the guy I bought the car from said that my seats were from another model (993?) and there were some other things that changed around that time too. I'm thinking that Porsche started making the upgrades in a way that made the audio units more consistent across model lines. However, I'm not an expert in this area.

I've been in contact with Walter Spector the person who put the 944 Stereo FAQ together and I've offered to add all my info that for future reference.

http://reality.sgiweb.org/wws/stereo_faq.html

In there he makes the following references

1993:

Improved standard speaker system (anyone know what this is?) <-----***
Blaupunkt London RDM-42 CD radio/cassette (M693, only with M490)

1994:

Blaupunkt Bremen RCM-43 plus code card (M334)
The M490 amplifier option is really two 2-channel amplifiers, one under each seat. <----***

I'm guessing that some of the upgrades to the stereo came a bit later in the model years but that few cars had the latest options and that is why we don't hear much about them.

Anyway, if I can help anyone out, just let me know. I've got other pics that I took during the install as well.

Cheers,

Phil

PS I know the issue comes up regarding the removal of the small window by the rear seats when the issue of rear speaker replacement is discussed. On my 968 this is a non issue. There is a little plastic trim ring on the inside which snaps out and then you simply remove the interior trim panel. The small mid/tweeter is still attached to the trim piece/grill so be careful as you pull it off and then remove the wires from the back of the speaker.

Quick Reply: 10 Speaker System Removal '89 Turbo (Pictures)