Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 Speaker System Removal '89 Turbo (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 11:31 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 944pete
Cory, what speakers are you replacing them with? Brand and part numbers please.
Your door speakers look to be in good shape. Wanna sell 'em?
I'm keeping the smaller ones below the door handle, I think they're 3". Aren't those the ones your looking for??? I'd be willing to part with the larger of the two, the one that was mounted toward the rear (in the door).

If you're interested, I have no idea what it's worth and therefore what I should be asking???
Old 09-22-2004, 11:56 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Guys please don't take this the wrong way
But you couldn't find a ****ter speaker ...
A transistor radio had better speakers
I wouldn't put those in my car again....
I still have the orig. but there in a box and staying there
Replacing those speakers is the smartest thing you could do ..
regards
Ed

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; 09-26-2004 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:15 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Guys please don't take this the wrong way
But you couldn't find a ****ter speaker ...
A transistor radio had better speakers
I would put those in my car again....
I still have the orig. but there in a box and staying there
Replacing those speakers is the smartest thing you could do ..
regards
Ed
I don't know- I agree that you can get MUCH better sound w/better speakers, BUT, it is a whole system kind of thing- IF one is only running the factory deck, OR, a newer, but, not very powerful deck, then, the factory speakers are pretty nice- of course, this is assuming you have the FULL M490 set-up- MANY of these cars only had the 5.25" speaker & NOT the 3" as well, up front- this made it a total of an 8-speaker instead of 10-speaker system- this sucks. That extra 3" speaker, while not a whole lot in & of it self, only comes when the 3-way X-over is included- this makes a world of dif... anyway, you can STILL get much better sound w/one ofthe newer head units, some better speakers, AND an amp, OR, just one of hte newest HIGH powered decks, like the Alpines & the newest 60w RMS Panasonic- these are theonly two you can run lot's of speakers off of w/out an extra amp & still get enough power to run good after market speakers- there MAY be another brand or two out soon that would work, but, not yet....

What it comes down too, is, good aftermaket speakers are much heavier (cones) & NEED more power to run them- our factory speakers (like most) are MUCH more efficient & can run much better than aftermarkets w/out much power- at any rate, if using good power, a good aftermarket speaker is always the better choice...
Old 09-23-2004, 09:43 AM
dave120
Drifting

Where do you guys with amps mount them? I really don't want to tear up my rear hatch carpet area or leave them where you can see them. I just removed my old 12 disc cd changer from one of the rear cubbies...I guess I could put one in there. I guess I could go with a 4 channel amp and run them all back to there, but that seems like it would be a PITA to wire in.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

MOST people mount exactly where you're talking- the rear cubbies- you dont have to tear any carpet to do it either- just lift it & run the wirese under- they can actually go through the rear side panels & go through the side carpet w/plastic trim- side sills- & end up wrapping around to the rear of the deck MY amp is under the glove box- I'm TRYING to either mount it up higher on the floor for better leg room (although I'm not worried about passenger's feet- the wires are pointing up & are not a prob, BUT, the heat MIGHT end up being an issue)- SOMEONE HERE told me they had their amp bolted to the underside of the glovebox- I'm ABOUT to start ta thread to try to find out who told me this, as I need to find out more about it- the glovebox is plastic & I'm not 100% sure it would be good for supporting my 6lb amp... anyway... there ya have it...
Old 09-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope this isn't too dumb a question, but I'm not realy well versed on car audio stuff. I'd like to replace the speakers in my car eventually, and I'm leaning toward MB Quart speakers. The car has a decent Kenwood head that will most likely be replaced eventually, though not before the new speakers go in. It also has a decent Carver amp which I don't plan on replacing anytime soon if I can get away with keeping it.

So my question is this: If I get speakers that are physically the correct sizes, do I need to do anything other than install them and be done with it? I've seen mention of crossovers a few time, and I have no idea what they are. Do I need them and if so what are they and how do I knw which ones to get?
Old 09-23-2004, 09:18 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

From what I hear Mb Quarts are great speakers ..
I have Boston Acust. Most speaker sets have a built in passive crossover to allow the correct
Hz to go to the correct speaker .. If not, one could buy a active crossover and there one would set the Hz
to their liking . I replace all the speakers so my fronts have a tweeter 5 inch and a 3 ??? and my rear has
an ADS s7 set up as a sub but my active Nac crossover takes care of all ...
Active are much more expensive but are supposedly better, as far as distortion.
Hope that helps
regards
Ed
Old 09-23-2004, 09:22 PM
dave120
Drifting

I replaced all my door speakers with an MB Quart 5.25 component system and a 3.5 full range speaker. They fit pretty well, with a little dremel work on the speaker pod they go right in. The tweeter is a little fun since it's just glued in there and you have to cut it out and glue the new one in, plus the mounting thing tend to be old and brittle and breaks a lot of the time. (assuming you have the 10 speaker system that is) I just used the factory crossover for simplicity, but I think I need an amp to really get more out of these speakers though. I don't have one in there right now, it's a newer Kenwood mp3 deck, but I don't think it has enough to run all 10 speakers at the power level they should be run at.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, so it sounds like I can just put new speakers in and they'll take care of themselves, right? If I get active crossovers I have to have enough sense to set them myself?
Old 09-23-2004, 11:13 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

ok- Eddie- I doubt your tweeters are 3"- I know you put a question mark beside that, so, I know you weren't saying for sure- i only say this b/c the factory front speaker in the armrest of the Turbo S (M490) is a 3 or 3.25"- the standard tweeter is ~1.5", so, 1" to 2"- I've even seen .75" actually, but, don't remember ever seeing more than 2", although it IS possible I guess- i'm certaily no authority... just saying that the factory tweets are tiny- DEFINATELY under 1.5" & my aftermarket ones, now, are 1" as were the CDT's I had before- they MAY have actually had .75".... anyway.....

As for the crossover question- first- MBQ's are great- some of the best speakers I ever heard were MBQ Premiums- 6.5" seperates- ok- SEPERATES is the same thing as COMPONENTS- this means the tweeter is seperate from the woofer/mid- all aftermarket component speakers come w/the neccessary crossovers- if i were you, I would stick to these typs of speaker, components, ESPECIALLY if we are talking about the front. your car, being an '89, has the factory tweeters above the window switches- make use of thise spot & buy components.... ANY MBQ, CDT, etc, component speaker will come w/the x-overs- now, if you want simplicity, go w/a 5.25" seperate- more elaborate systems can be installed, however- I have 6x8 Infinity components under the armrest in my Turbo S- PITFA! & I doubt I get much more out of it- IF I were re-doing the rear AND were removing the window to do it right, I would find a way to get AT LEAST 6.5's in there- possibly larger- maybe the 6x8 seperates I have in front- would LOVE to find a way to mount CDT CL61's (on sale at the Zeb for $150 if they're still doing it...best bang for hte buck avaiable- CDT'S are on par w/MBQ, ADS, BA, etc....)- would install the 6.5 seperates in the FRONT of the door- removing the grill from the pocket & using hte space under the armrest for storage- then, would have the speaker further forward for better imaging... Porsche really screwed us w/these cars... anyway, simplicity- buy some good ADS, MBQ, or, CDT components & mount them in the factory space- either remove the 3.25" from under the armrest & SEAL the hole, or, just leave it disconnected, & be done w/it, mounting the tweeter up above the window switch- IF you're interested in mouting something big, like 6x8 under there, I can get some pics eventually... almost done- probably worth it for someone who didn't have to go through it all on his own, but, not for me, since I pioneered it.... I HAVE, however, seen 6.5's mounted up front though at front of door- thjis is best overall solution for front speakers.... CLEARANCE is a BITCH!!!!

Last edited by Robby; 09-24-2004 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:01 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Yea Robby I couldn't remember what the sizes were ... Whatever came with the the B A set up,
component speakers I bought at the time.
Two things to add:use bondo in the the plastic pieces of $hit that the speakers are mounted to, under the armrest. The speakes have better resonance and don't rattle (the best thing u can do!! )
and it you have to cut the tabs on the tweeters grills because the new tweeter would not fit in the same small hole that was there for the orig crap. I used butyl (sp?) Windshield sealant to keep the grills on .. wks great except when its 120\o out then you have to just push it back and its good for another year ....:-)
regards
ED

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; 09-26-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:55 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the detailed answer Robby
Old 09-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin- how is that M3 anyway? I love those cars- the E36 being my favorite, but, the E30 chassis was great too- I want an E36 w/modded Supra TT engine & Audi interior- I don't ask for much... The "Leinengrau metallic"- what is that? in your pics, it looks like Zermatt Silver w/linen interior- mine is zermatt w/black- would kill to convert to linen.... How fast is the 951 w/your mods? Are you happy w/it at this point? Do you know what kind of #'s your getting, either timed runs or dyno, etc?

Eddy- 120'??? I had forgotten you were in CA- thought you were up north- I think I'd melt in 120- forget the car- I'm dying in the mid-90's, but, that's w/>90% humidty. Also- are your speakers BA? Again I must have remembered incorrectly- thought they were ADS..... I love BA's too... ended up w/Infinity's- 6.5 Kappa coax in rear & 6x8 Reference 6800CS components up f ront- still need to do some trimming to get the pockets on, but.... for all the trouble, I'm wishing I'd done something else, but, these cars are a complete bitch- would really like to make use of the very front location from regular 944 & use that grill spot under armrest for storage- of course, I have 968 panels, so, the forward pocket comes up higher, like they all should have- this creates one more hassle when trying to mount in the forward location- the depth from door to inner pocket- shouldn't matter much, as the usual factor is where the bottom of dash closes against the door panel itself- that makes things a BITCH, plus, the depth b/t door panel & inner door/window, etc...
Old 09-24-2004, 04:04 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Not sure if it was me, but I mounted my 4 channel amp under the glovebox. The install is still in process, but almost finished. Car took a back seat to the new house and wedding. I'm starting to "correct" my priorities, and things are coming together nicely.

The mounting utilizes the metal crossmember that the glovebox door bolts to, and a new bracket that mounts up under the dash, where the glovebox ends. The mount is very solid, and I think the only drawback is that the amp has to be removed in order to access the ECU.

Heat could become an issue, as the amp is mounted upside down, which reduces the efficiency of the heat sinking aluminum body, but since I don't pump the volume that much, I'm betting that everything will be okay.

The full breakdown on the system:
Alpine 9807 HU
Soundstream Picasso amp 40x4
MB Quart RSD 213
MB Quart RKC 116

I'm pretty sure that the model numbers are correct. If they don't make sense, let me know, and I can correct them.

-Jon
Old 09-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jon- it MIGHT have been you- I had THOUGHT it may have been EDDIE, but, since he has not mentioned this, I'm starting to doubt it- okay, I was understanding pretty good, until you mentioned the ECU getting in the way- how is this possible? I mean. most amps I've seen are only 2" thick or so- I've removed the board under the floormat to get to ECU before & can't see how it would rub- any details here would be greatly appreciated- what about your glovebox- is it plastic too? This is why you did not drill into IT, BUT, into the metal frame at the opening, &, used some sort of metal frame at the rear edge, or, more to the middle, for the back of the amp? Any more detail, or, pictures, wopuld be GREATLY appreciated- can't see how the ECU would be affected here, but, it WILL be w/mine, since, I currently have the amp resting right on top... ;-) Oh- that sounds like a pretty nice system, but, several more questions- the Alpine- is it one of the 27w RMS Moffset decks? if so, I would think you might have more power using it- Panasonic has a new deck listed in Crutchfield @ 60w RMS- some new computer process- decks keep ending up like that, then, I'll get one & drop the damn amp ;-) mine is an ADS PQ10 & is rated somewhere ~40w too- I've been told that it is pretty conservative, however, but.. who knows? Also, the MBQ speakers- what sizes are those? I guess I COULD look them up... Do you have good bass? I'm REALLY opposed to throwing any more weight into this heavy-*** 3150lb car- no subs for me- am trying to get as much as humanly possible W/OUT subs.... was just curios.... thanks again...

thankks
Robby

Quick Reply: 10 Speaker System Removal '89 Turbo (Pictures)