Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! INTERIOR IS DESTROYED!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For removing the sprayed paint, try Goof Off (VERY aptly named product) with a soft rag in a very inconspicuous place. After you experiment, wait a day or so to see if there is any discoloration or damage to the vinyl and/or leather. Goof Off is a mild solvent that is pretty gentle and won't chemically attack many (but not all) plastics. But, EXPERIMENT WITH IT IN AN INCONSPICUOUS PLACE FIRST.

If it works to remove the sprayed paint (and I suspect it'll work pretty well), you probably have an hour or two work ahead of you to clean up the mess, sarcastic comments on Rennlist notwithstanding.

Afterward, there are some pretty good products to re-color leather, Leatherique being one. Guys on the BMW forums have had excellent results with some of these products, making old and cracked seats look literally like new. Alternatively (and cheaper, too, but with more modest results) a good shoe and leather repair shop will have some good recomendations, as would a leather furniture store or restoration place. I've had good results with leather touchup/color restoration using leather pigment from "Collonil," a German leather care product available at better shoe repair places. Google for info on sources near you, and/or get them to send you their color chips brochure.

It's always a good idea to ask for advice here or on similar forums before starting. If this is the biggest mistake you ever make, you'll be a happy camper.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:14 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Dash01:

Do the makers of Goof Off make a similar product called Idiot Off?

Is it the same as a bucket of propwash?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, this guy has been hammered mercilessly for four pages worth: Some of it was cute, some just malicious and not helpful nor sportsmanlike, and adding insult to injury. Not exactly the spirit of cameraderie that made Rennlist great. Perhaps he should put in for a Cooper Cup award, or honorable mention.

OTOH, for those who are actually interested in solving the paint spray problem, a small can of Goof Off is a good place to start. A ~12 oz. can costs ~$3, and it's handy for all sorts of stuff, including removing botched touch up paint, dissolving sticky tape residue, crayon markings, brake dust, etc..
Old 09-16-2004, 01:46 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StupEd05
you might also want to try Naptha (spelling?). Its a VERY strong plastic cleaner that might work with vinyl (NOT leather!). Whatever you end up trying, DEFINITELY make sure you test it on an inconspicuous place to make sure its not going to ruin it even more. (Im sure you knew that)
This better be a joke, Naptha isnt something to screw around with. Its flammable and has powerful vapors. Should NOT be used as a cleaning agent. And I doubt the vinyl would last an attack of naptha.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:19 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to get my hands on a Turbo S with a ruined interior. I would have a ball reupholstering every inch of every panel it in the best leather I could find. It would be worth every penny of every hide. If you have the moolah to buy a 951S, maybe you can scrounge up a few grand more and turn your misfortune into gold.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i smell ashton....
Originally Posted by Epic2112
Whew, all the way in Ohio? Tell him to take a shower.
Originally Posted by Manning
He is pretty young, maybe he hasn't figured out that once you hit puberty you need to start wearing deodorant

Originally Posted by Peckster
As for the lead post, this must be a joke. I figure Campeck must have worked his way through his homework early.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

I have all the 4-speaker panels/grills and a good console in Black, few other bits too.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:02 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What if you were to go out and buy a real interior paint and paint over the mistake? Would that look ok?
Old 09-17-2004, 06:26 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

S2NUT,

That won't work. Generally, a coating is only as good as the coating that is underneath it. If there is flat spray paint that is not designed to stick to flexible vinyl down as a first coat, spraying the proper product on top of it just won't work. The crappy first paint will crack/craze/peel still, taking the new product that is on top with it.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:01 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

paint is for the exterior of cars. trying to paint the interior is stupid. you DIE vinyl or leather - you don't paint it. If you paint anything inside the car, it's gonna be something plastic. and even then.. painting it makes it look cheaper.

If it's SO bad that you want to paint it, just go out and buy a new or used part to replace it.

Quick Reply: Help!! INTERIOR IS DESTROYED!!!!!!