Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could cause the clutch pedal to Vibe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 04:24 PM
threesticks1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could cause the clutch pedal to Vibe?

The car is a daily driver and recently I had a day off and went for a long drive. I put about 247 miles on during this drive and when I was almost home and was stopped at a traffic light I could hear a vibration in the dash. When the light turned green and I went to push in the clutch pedal it was pulsing under my foot and the dash vibe disappeared. Now the clutch pedal vibrates all the time while I am driving.

When the pedal is pushed in fully there is no vibration but when the pedal is released it vibes. I can only feel the pulsations in the first few inches of pedal travel. The engagement point is also changing. The clutch used to engage when the pedal was about 3/4 of the way out but now it feels like closer to half way when it begins to engage.

I've had the car for about three and a half years. The PO installed a new clutch about 8K miles before I bought the car and I have since put on about another 20K miles. I replaced the master and slave cylinders about two years ago.

What do you think? Throw out bearing? Broken spring in the clutch disk? Worn or broken fork? Or is the whole clutch worn out and needs to be replaced?

I know it could be many different thing but help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:26 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be balance shaft... Mine was off and made a world of differnece in my clutch pedal vibration
Old 09-16-2004, 04:30 PM
threesticks1
Instructor

Default Balance Shafts?

So you're saying that maybe one or both of my balance shafts jumped a tooth or two. I never thought of that. The car does feel rougher, but my thinking was that something was off center in the clutch. Interesting.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2004, 05:06 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Balance shafts being off do cause vibrations. However those will be in the entire car not just the clutch pedal. I have no answer for you clutch vibrations. Seems odd to have too much vibes in the pedal however since it is hydralic system. Minor vibes would be damped out.

I am really not sure. Does the gear you are in have any impact on vibes?
Old 09-17-2004, 08:17 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

seen (or better: felt) this before and it was bad news at that occasion: diaphragm spring in the pressure plate cracked.
TakeCare
Old 09-17-2004, 10:47 AM
Alpine951
Drifting

Is there any way of inspecting the clutch without a full removal.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alpine951
There is an inspection hole in the bell housing.
You can give it a try and see if you can get to the diaphragm spring with eg a small (dentist type) mirror.
There isn't any other option than that or disassembly I am affraid.
TakeCare
Old 09-17-2004, 12:17 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alpine951
If you have ever looked into the reference sensor hole, clutch hole or starter hole you will see the answer is no. I suppose you might be able to check it out if you got one of those medical snakes with a little light and mini camera they stick into your veins and whatnot to check things out.

I had the same experience Hans had with pedal vibration in an Austin Healey caused by broken pressure plate.

Quick Reply: What could cause the clutch pedal to Vibe?