Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got pulled over today... What a small freaky world this is

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 12:01 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got pulled over today... What a small freaky world this is

Got nailed doing a u-turn in an intersection. Was in the left turn lane, the dedicated left light came on, I just zipped around to get to an onramp to the highway. Gunned it away hard, boom cop pulled me over. I was in a rush to get BACK to work, a server was acting up and I was the only person they could get ahold of (this was 430PM or so).

To shorten the story, the cop had the same last name as me... Not only that, he had the same name as my younger brother, first, middle and last name totally identical. Freaky, very freaky. My last name isnt very common, hes the first non family person ive met with the same name, but to have the same names as my younger bro, and then to pull me over, wow chance in a million I guess.

And no, no ticket, just a talking to about u-turns, no N sticker on my car, and the sad state of my drivers lisence card (its broken, and scotch taped together )

Old 09-14-2004, 12:03 AM
cantal10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that is really weird, at least you didn't get the ticket lol.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:05 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cantal10
wow that is really weird, at least you didn't get the ticket lol.
Ya, im glad about that. I shook his hand before I drove off
Old 09-14-2004, 12:07 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

N sticker?
~Eyal
Old 09-14-2004, 12:08 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing the N sticker is some permit for making a U turn on the highway?
Old 09-14-2004, 12:12 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
N sticker?
~Eyal
Assinine graduated driving system that we have in Ontario and British Columbia here in Canada. You start off as a learner (aka "L" or looser) and you have to drive with an adult, limits on hours (cant drive 12pm to 6am) and passengers and stuff. After an amount of time of this, you take some tests, if you pass you get to become a "New Driver" and you get an N sticker. The stickers are magnetic things you can stick on, with L or N on them. I however refuse to put one on my car, as it will totally **** the paint under it, as it has on my parents cars. I can take the final roadtest to get rid of it, just havent had the time lately.

Theory is good, it can be a pain sometimes tho.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:13 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MPD47
I'm guessing the N sticker is some permit for making a U turn on the highway?
I wasnt ON the highway, I was u-turning to get to an onramp to get ONTO the highway. Big difference.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:18 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Posted 9/10/04-Sounds pretty familiar only it could cost my son his license.

"Don't feel bad, some police just have bad days. My son got a ticket the other night in the 83 N/A (Ol' Pokey). He was with a friend, stopped at a light in the left turn lane, gets the left arrow hangs a legal U-turn, tires squeal a bit due to new road seal and heads up the overpass, no slippage or anything. He was written up for "exhibition of speed" at 15mph! Worst part was the officer says " he doesn't need some spoiled bitch driving a Porsche" to ruin his day. I've taken the car back to the spot and did the same turn 3 times, the tires will squeal at 13mph and above. They called me and made me drive the car home after the lecture about "letting a kid drive a high-powered sports car" This truly is a bogus ticket that he could lose his license over. I usually always give the officer the benefit of doubt when it comes to young drivers, but we have to fight this one. On my income no one is spoiled in this family."

I guess your police are a bit mellower than in this town.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:22 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tape the N on your hatch, fool!! No one says it has to be on your paint. But you do have to display it... if you got caught speeding, not having the N is just another reason for the cop to be a ***** and give you another ticket. ($86 if I'm not mistaken.. not that I ever had to carry it, since I got my license before the graduated licensing crap came about..)

I'm curious, what exactly did the cop tell you about "U" turns?? I'm interested in knowing if he was bull****ing you or telling the truth. My experience is that many cops in BC don't even know the MVA 100%. (partly because they transfer here from other provinces or countries and the exams pass mark is not 100%)

The law in BC according to the MVA (motor.vehicle.act) states that U turns are legal if:
a, there is no sign specifically prohibiting it
b, you do not cross a single solid white, or double yellow line during the U turn
c, if you are doing it in an intersection, you must not be holding up traffic behind or infront of you.

(ps I'm going to check that and amend it if it's wrong or been changed since..)
Old 09-14-2004, 12:23 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2Tight

"Don't feel bad, some police just have bad days. My son got a ticket the other night in the 83 N/A (Ol' Pokey). He was with a friend, stopped at a light in the left turn lane, gets the left arrow hangs a legal U-turn, tires squeal a bit due to new road seal and heads up the overpass, no slippage or anything. He was written up for "exhibition of speed" at 15mph! Worst part was the officer says " he doesn't need some spoiled bitch driving a Porsche" to ruin his day. I've taken the car back to the spot and did the same turn 3 times, the tires will squeal at 13mph and above. They called me and made me drive the car home after the lecture about "letting a kid drive a high-powered sports car" This truly is a bogus ticket that he could lose his license over. I usually always give the officer the benefit of doubt when it comes to young drivers, but we have to fight this one. On my income no one is spoiled in this family."

Quite a bit mellower *sometimes*... I punched the gas and my craptastic tires lost it, end result was some squeeling and fishtailing. Tires are garbage on ANYTHING but dry warm pavement, even then they suck, and this pavement was damp. Im fairly sure he saw that bit too... I think he accepted my explanation tho so that helped me.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:24 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that reminded me of when my dads buddy was mad cuz when he got a ticket they wrote down his firebird as a thunderbird.....
Old 09-14-2004, 12:27 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
I'm curious, what exactly did the cop tell you about "U" turns?? I'm interested in knowing if he was bull****ing you or telling the truth. My experience is that many cops in BC don't even know the MVA 100%. (partly because they transfer here from other provinces or countries and the exams pass mark is not 100%)

The law in BC according to the MVA (motor.vehicle.act) states that U turns are legal if:
a, there is no sign specifically prohibiting it
b, you do not cross a single solid white, or double yellow line during the U turn
c, if you are doing it in an intersection, you must not be holding up traffic behind or infront of you.

(ps I'm going to check that and amend it if it's wrong or been changed since..)
His words "U-Turns in intersections are a no-no". Sounded odd to me, but I sure as hell wasnt going to argue unless I actually got a ticket There were no signs that I remember, and I wasnt holding traffic up since I was the first in line for the dedicated left.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:30 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
that reminded me of when my dads buddy was mad cuz when he got a ticket they wrote down his firebird as a thunderbird.....
I got a speeding ticket a while back with this car (im just a rebel or something :|) and the cop asked me what kind of car it was... After staring at the back end, where theres the PORSCHE decal, and the front end, obviously with the nose crest... The new officer he was training and I looked at each other, looked at him, both said "Its a Porsche..." then looked at each other again with a "wtf" face.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:34 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Tight

2Tight: That would NOT stand with me. If any cop tried to pull that on me, I would smile, accept the ticket, and then take the assclown to court. Tyres can squeal at slow speeds without even skidding. The comment he made would be the finishing touch in getting the ticket thrown out in traffic court. "Spoiled bitch driving a Porsche?" I'm sorry, 120hp is a high powered sports car? They CALLED you to pick up the car? Those comments show the the police officer had other issues when he was ticketing your son, and clearly approached him with a strong negative bias..

Either your son was truely screwing around and he won't admit it to you, or the cop needs a harsh verbal reaming out in court in front of a judge. You'd better have a heart to heart with your son, and if he's telling the truth, take the cop to court and give him what for.

I'm 3 for 3 so far getting bogus tickets thrown out in court. At the last one, the cop was so pissed off, he stormed out of the traffic court room with a beet red face, after the judge scolded him to be more proffesional when ticketing motorists.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:36 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

As a side note for 2Tight... Very cheap tires can squeel doing anything... I heard tires from Sears squeeling in a parking lot, the car was driving at parking lot speeds normally, dry pavement.

You know how cars often sound in the movies? Those Sears tires sounded EXACTLY like that...

Quick Reply: Got pulled over today... What a small freaky world this is