Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving fast is fun!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 08:02 AM
PennyWise
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Down here in Johannesburg, South Africa we live a lot faster.. This is how it generally works

Suburban roads : 60 kms
Average driver travels 80kms - 100kms
(no kids on streets... all behind 6-8 ft walls with eletric fences)

Main Roads : 80 kms
Average driver travels 80kms - 120kms

Highways : 120 kms
Average driver travels 130kms - 160kms

Trafic fines... minimal, from the price of a couple Big Mac Meals and to maybe the price of a couple of tanks of fuel.

No point system
No effect on Insurance premiums
No licence cancellations or suspensions
Speed trapping is a joke... but they are getting better... I see one maybe once every two months now. It used to be once a year...

If caught doing 180kms and over... you have to go court for sentencing/Fine, anything less, get a fine in the mail, pay it if you wish and move on. Most people don't pay..... no recourse.... yet

Oh yes! We also kill about 10 000 people a year on the our roads.... of which about 1000 are over the Easter long weekend during the migration from the Johannesburg to the outer regions. 50% are pedestrians crossing the highways sober/drunk in the rural areas, about 30% are from overloaded unroadworthy minibus taxis, the rest is made up of drunk and reckless driving.

If thats not enough.. we have for the brave (stupid), 2 unofficial time records.
One from Johanesburg to Durban (a city at the east coast about 600Kms away) and another one from Johannesburg to Cape Town ( City at tip of Africa about 1300km away)
Johannesburg to Durban : 3hrs (about)
Johannesburg to Cape Town : 7.5 Hours (about)

These are generally done by some guy with something to prove in a modded BMW M3 etc, and generaly end up with the cops waiting for him at the destination. He gets arrested, pays a hefty fine, gets the front page...and life goes on.... till the next guy thinks he can do better.... .. although the last one to make the news was a few years ago.... But every weekend the Durban run has few hopefulls....

Only in Africa.....!

As we say here 'Aaghhh.. another sh_t day in Africa'
Old 09-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Oilslick964
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey, Pennywise-
You're in Sounth Africa? You are not going to believe this, but I am the son of a very respected member of our government, here in the United States and he died and left me $25,500,000 and I was hoping you would help me to get it out of my country. All I need is all your bank account numbers, your full name, your date of birth, your social security number, all your credit card numbers, etc... JUST KIDDING!!!
As far as speeding, I've done 165mph on a public highway. It was stupid, I got caught and paid huge money and all that. Since then, I've done 130 or 135 from time to time. It was still stupid. I knew it was stupid but I don't want to live my life like I'm just waiting to die. I've been to track events and they were far too structured for me. Lots of waiting around and not enough driving. I do not make a habit of going fast, but from time to time, I'll see 100mph on the highway for short bursts. I'm 36 years old and I haven't lost my sense of humor or my need for speed. When I do, I'll just roll over and die.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
You must live in a state that has no:
1. Farms
2. Deer
3. Any wild animals
4. Children that ride bikes that live out in the country
5. Tractors
6. Trees
7. Turtles (ever his a 10lb turtle at 65mph? Very hard to see at 150mph).
You make it sound like Germany is on Mars, or something.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:26 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Look,
Excessive speed is bad thing in US. I will not say that I have never gone over the speed limit or have not gone over 100 myself on the roads.

Yes I have done it few times. Car always felt stable, but I never did. Reason was not so much that I or car could not handle it, but that traffic around me is not prepared for it. Even one most open deserted road some one pop up out of nowhere not realizing the speed you are doing. In Germany the general awareness of high speed drivers is much better.

US drivers in general are poor drivers and are not capable of going fast themselves nor are they preared to be passed by high speed drivers. So it is not really a safe thing to do.

My runs on the race track have gotten my up to 100+ MPH so often it is common place. Fast driving on the street can't even being to compare that on the track. So I no longer see the need to do anything other than flow with traffic on the public roads.

One you have gone to Willow springs and taken turn 8 flat out in 5th gear and turned and average lap at 90 MPH... you start to understand what real speed is.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Hey, I'm not advocating speeding in the U.S. or anywhere. I just didn't like how Z-Man cherry picked our responses to suit his anti-speeding crusade. Although I have nothing against his views on speeding itself, the fact remains that the initial question in this thread was "how fast have you made your car go," and not "how much/often do you speed." There's an obvious difference.

I also drive in other countries besides the U.S., where the driving habits are different and I wholeheartedly agree with your statement about speeding consistently in the U.S., but OTOH I see no wrong in someone asking how far you've pushed your car at some point, and I'm not about to be the one to cast the first stone about it, either.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Oilslick964
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question: Hey, have you ever had 2 chicks double-up on you?

Answer: Unprotected sex is not only unsafe, it is irresponsible. When you are with someone, you are with everyone that they have been with and if you are in a little 2 on 1, then you are doubling your chances of contracting some type of STD, blah blah blah!

See what I'm saying????
Old 09-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

60 miles per hour is dangerously fast
35 miles per hour can kill you, even if you are in a well-designed (with regards to safety) car and wearing your seatbelt properly.

And, of course, the faster you go, the more potentially lethal driving can be. 80 is more dangerous than 60; 100 is more dangerous than 80. There is no magic point at which driving becomes dangerous. OOOOH THREE DIGITS!!!! WOOOOOWWWW!!! THAT'S DANGEROUS!!!! I completely agree with not making a practice of driving ridiculously fast on public roads, but I wish people would take down the mental wall of the three-digit speed. There is no sudden jump in braking distance when you hit 100; the scenery doesn't suddenly blur like when R2D2 and Chewbacca fixed the hyperdrive in the Millenium Falcon. 90 is dangerous, too. I believe that if you graph speed vs. stopping distance, you will see a curve, not a spike.

That said, for as much as people on internet message boards like to talk about "Darwinism", I'd like to give humanity a little bit of credit for knowing, to some extent, what is sensibly fast. When you have somewhere to be, there is no sense in going slower than you need to, and no sense in going faster than what is reasonably safe. The national 55 mph speed limit was unreasonably slow. Twenty years ago, people preached that "speed kills", and 80 was considered as equally evil as child abduction by some. The evidence that eventually led to the 55mph barrier's being released was the fact that most people were driving at speeds that were higher than the limit, while a smaller percentage adhered strictly to or near the 55mph limit. This created a dangerous situation, namely a variance of speeds among vehicles. It is safer when everyone is traveling the same speed. By raising the speed limits in areas where people were driving faster, they brought the speeds of the speed limit sticklers up to much closer to where everyone else was driving -- the people who had already been driving 70 mph did not suddenly jup up to 80 because the speed limit was raised. The speed variance was made smaller. Mass deaths did not happen with the speed limit increase. People were driving at what was a sensible speed-- they didn't suddenly go faster because their goal was not to break the speed limet; they didn't suddenly go faster because they didn't feel in control of the car at faster speeds.

My point is that, as dumb about vehicles and physics as most drivers are out there, we as humans still all *do* have a certain survival instinct, and the vast majority of drivers on the roads are not going to drive at speeds that feel dangerous to them. Nobody wants to die. And yet, on many of the interstates I drive on, there flow of traffic is doing 80+ mph, in vehicles that are far less stable and have greater braking distances than our Porsches. And they're not skidding and dying left and right.

I'm sure that everyone on here has driven well above the speed limit and we have all lived to tell about it. When you are doing 100 mph and the flow of traffic is doing 80-85, you're really not going any faster than them than when you are in the left lane traveling at 80 passing someone going 60-65 in the right lane. Which happens every time you pass a truck on a rural interstate. A 15-20mph increase in speed during a pass is par for the course.

As much as I am a proponent for going with the flow, I kind of get a kick out of the fact that the two people climbing on the soap box to preach about speeding are from New Jersey and England - two of the crappiest, most congested places to drive. Try driving on I-95 down the coast of Florida, and see how much sense anything under 80mph makes. You become an obstacle, a hazard to everyone else on the road. Same thing with I-75 through Kentucky or I-40 through to Memphis. You can easily reach those scary, oh-so-dangerous three digit speeds without realizing it. Not 125, but 100-110 in the left lane can happen quite easily. If you're driving fast to go "AW HAW HAW KOOOL LOOK I'M DOING 100 AW HAW HAW!!!" then you are not paying attention and shouldn't be on the road, but if you are driving and are alert and in control and it happens, then it happens - no big deal.

The last time I asked someone, Germans weren't dying left and right as their cars flew off the autobahns. Going fast doesn't automatically kill you. It does increase your chance of dying or serious injury in an accident. But there is no magic point that is too fast. It is a sliding scale, not a cutoff.

As for these people going 125, 150, etc., they are all still alive. They were smart enough to pick the right conditions and made sure their cars were in good order. They were much safer at 125 than that 1990 Chevy Corsica barreling down the road at 60 with worn tires and shocks and brakes that pull the car to one side, because they were in control. Of course the track is the place to intentionally go fast, where you can focus on what you need to focus on, but if such speeds were inherently unreasonably dangerous, no one would be doing it on track or off.

Every weekend I run to and from Columbus to Cleveland on I-71. The left lane does 75-80 and the right lane does 65-70. I pick my lane depending on my mood and go with the flow. That's probably the attitude that most people here have. I've been on a track two times and have autocrossed about ten times, and yes there is no comparison. But to preach holier-than-thou against the cautious driver with a well-prepared car who occationally opens up his car on a familiar road in the best conditions takes a lot of arrogance and most likely hypocrisy. Get real. That is just as bad as making a point about how fast you have driven your car.

/end rant
Old 09-15-2004, 12:16 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Cliff's notes: I agree with Luis.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tony K
When you are doing 100 mph and the flow of traffic is doing 80-85, you're really not going any faster than them than when you are in the left lane traveling at 80 passing someone going 60-65 in the right lane. Which happens every time you pass a truck on a rural interstate.
A common problem on the U.S. Interstates is that all too often it's the trucks doing the passing, and not exactly at the speed limit, either.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:57 PM
PennyWise
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done Tony... I think that should about wrap it up.....

Agh.. its late.... I've got to be 50 miles away in 30 seconds....I wonder if I can make it in my well prepared porsche in rush hour trafiic past the pre school and through the local neighborhood and around the very busy park... better wear a seatbelt just in case......
Old 09-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Hey, I'm not advocating speeding in the U.S. or anywhere. I just didn't like how Z-Man cherry picked our responses to suit his anti-speeding crusade.
My point in doing that was to show 87Porsche951 that his blanket statement: "No one cares about your opinion on speeding" was wrong.

Were those quotes taken out of context? I didn't think so. Did folks say more than what I quoted? Yes. But still, what I quoted, I feel I didn't take out of context. If I did, I apologyze for doing so.

Look: excessive speeding is wrong. I'm not saying I don't speed once in awhile, but that doesn't make it right. Justifiying it ALSO doesn't make it right. I just get real sick and tired of people who come in here and say, "It was safe, we were watching for everything....yadda yadda yadda..." If that is the case, then why is speeding still killing people? This is a documented fact.

Also: regarding driving in Europe and Germany: a good friend of mine here at work goes to Germany often. In his opinion, driving and driver's attitudes there are quickly coming up to speed (pun intended) to our 'standards.'

-Z.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Mass deaths did not happen with the speed limit increase.
Originally Posted by Nov 22, 2003 report from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety / Highway Loss Data Institute
Higher travel speeds on rural Interstates reportedly are responsible for about a 35 percent increase in death rates. This is the main finding of a new study of fatalities in states where speed limits on rural interstate highways were raised to 70 or 75 mph during 1995-96. Previous studies, including Institute research, also show increased fatalities associated with higher speed limits.
"Whenever vehicle speeds increase death rates also increase," says Institute chief scientist Allan Williams. "And the reverse is true. In 1974 when the national maximum speed limit lowered the limits across the country to 55 mph, fatality rates dropped significantly."
Source: http://www.hwysafety.org/srpdfs/sr3810.pdf
A 35 percent increase in death rates is, IMHO, a significant increase. Not something I would consider to be 'mass deaths,' but still a significant number.
By raising the speed limits in areas where people were driving faster, they brought the speeds of the speed limit sticklers up to much closer to where everyone else was driving -- the people who had already been driving 70 mph did not suddenly jup up to 80 because the speed limit was raised.
Actually, that's not true. I am interested in where you got this information from. Because this is what I've found:
Originally Posted by Same report as sited above
When speed limits on rural Interstates are raised, travel speeds generally go up, and speeding violations continue. Behavior is similar on urban interstates. These are the results of an Institute survey conducted in six states.
In the majority of these states more than two-thirds of vehicles on rural interstates were going 70 mph or faster. In Colorodo nearly one of every four vehicles was travelling 80 mph or faster.
I find it quite interesting that your example (people jumping up to 80 mph) is exactly the same number they used in this study!

Of of my favorite pro-race car drivers is Vic Elford. He's driven the 917 at over 200 mph down the Mulsanne straight at LeMans. This man knows about speed. His comment on speed is this:
Speed does not kill. The wrong speed at the wrong time kills.

Some people's perception about the 'right time to speed' may not be as right as they think.

I can go on and on (as most of you already know! ) about the dangers of speeding. I'm not making this stuff up, and it's not just my opinion. If I sound like a broken record player, oh well. If someone slows down a little because of my influence, then it is worth all the aggravation I put you all through here.

I have a hard time dealing with death: it is a very difficult thing for me get my hands around. (Side note: My uncle just died last week - heart attack) Death scares me, and it brings up all sorts of negative emotions in me. Maybe that's why I'm so against speeding and street racing, because a negative result of both is often dealth and injury, and often it is someone innocent that is effected.

I know I can't change the world, and that my soapbox preaching gets lots of folks here all pissed off. Maybe my approach is wrong - but I've tried all sorts of other approaches to this. At some point, I suppose we all just need to 'agree to disagree.' (I dunno when that point is, I guess...)

Anyway, I am glad that Rennlist offers us ALL an opportunity to share our opinoins. I've said it before - some of you don't like my preaching attitude about this - but I don't like hearing stories about speeding either! Stop posting stuff on speeds, and I'll stop posting stuff about it's dangers. As far as I know, I'm still allowed to voice my opinion here, right?

Regards,
-Z.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Like I said, I can't stop!

Here's an exceprt from an article from TODAY's Pittsburg Tribune-Review:
Originally Posted by Inexperience, speeding blamed as teen road deaths climb to 14
Three more families grieving over the deaths of teens in car crashes last week join ample company in western Pennsylvania.
On Thursday, two Westmoreland County high school students died when the car in which they were riding collided with a train, and a West View teen was killed when his car hit a utility pole on Camp Horne Road in Ohio Township.

Police and traffic safety experts are at a loss to explain why western Pennsylvania has been plagued since January by a rash of fatal car crashes involving teen-agers, but say inexperience combined with aggressive driving tactics such as speeding are mostly to blame. Thursday's tragedies bring the total to at least 14 teens killed in vehicle accidents since the beginning of the year.
Source: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/s_74501.html

Last edited by Z-man; 09-15-2004 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Z-Man, I'm enduring "Jeanne," a tropical storm/hurricane at present, so I don't have much time to reply on battery power, but as a Spanish saying goes, I think your participation in this thread is comparable to " shooting ants with bullets for elephants" - (i.e. a reaction way out of proportion?)

Lighten up a bit and don't be so selective about what you respond to; e.g.: sometimes, it is safer to accelerate as much as necessary to outrun a potentially dangerous situation, like a speeding truck trying to pass you. Ever heard of active safety?
Old 09-15-2004, 04:19 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

The last time I asked someone, Germans weren't dying left and right as their cars flew off the autobahns. Going fast doesn't automatically kill you. It does increase your chance of dying or serious injury in an accident. But there is no magic point that is too fast. It is a sliding scale, not a cutoff.
Hey Tony- That was an awesome post! To add, The autobahn is the safest highway in the world not only in the amount of deaths but vehicle accidents too; that alone tosses the speed kills notion right out the window huh? The History Channel did a 60 minute show on the autobahn and it was really fascinating to watch. They explained exactly why the autobahn was so safe and their main focus points were the quality of materials used to construct the highway, the concrete is laid approximately 10 feet deep and this helps prevent cracking and excessive wear; as soon as cracks surface they are fixed immediately. The curves on the highway are designed to exceed no more than 15 degrees and are often banked to give the car greater stability. The legal age to acquire a license in Germany is 18 years old, and one must go through a minimum of $2000 dollars worth of drivers training. No need to explain how much better German cars are engineered, we all know that. Drivers in Germany use common sense and don't eat, talk on the phone or participate in other things that might serve as a distraction; driving gets their fullest concentration. The autobahn has taught us some important lessons about speeding, if done properly and responsibly it can be none with little consequences. Now if we could only try to incorporate these lessons into our society there would be far fewer deaths as a result of speed, or plain driver ignorance.

Quick Reply: Driving fast is fun!