Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving fast is fun!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 11:05 PM
pat944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen about 170 or so, and still with a bit left in her.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts
Talking

I know I can take the Z28 up to 110 at 4600RPM in fourth,and still have two more gears to play with. In sixth it should do 202 at 5300RPM. It can also get to 60 in less than six seconds. Twenty years ago I would have tried to prove it, but I know better than that. Thats what magazine articles are for.

As far as the Porsche goes, I will let one of you Darwin Award contenders find out how fast it can go.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:39 PM
cmoss

yeah, this is something that comes up every once in awhile. I keep mine under 80 for the most part while I'm on public roads. I really get annoyed whith people bragging that they've had their car up to 100+ on public roads. Get out on the track and have some fun. And it isn't hard. There are many organizations that run Driver Ed events. Just cruise on over--at a reasonable speed--to the racing forum and post the "how do I get started" question.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:04 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too fast to post it here and boy was it fun!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had mine up to 240ish (speedo was pegged out, but it's a liar!!!), obviously not on the streets.
Fastest I ever hit on the streets was 150-160, and that's because I wasn't watching the speedo when passing a few cars on the highway.

Just had it on the track yesterday, hit 200 several times.

NOTE: those are all in kph!
Old 09-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87Porsche951
Im tired of hearing people say its stupid and everything. If you dont want to drive at Triple speeds once in awhile then sell your Porsche and go buy a Nicely maintaned Yugo. There going cheap these days.

Im sure peopel dont browse the forums and post topics to be preached. Some people go somewhere on Sundays for that.
Ok, your response has been bugging me for a couple of days. So, I'd like to respond:

1. If you look at my avatar, you'll notice it's a picture of a Red 944S2 followed by a bunch of 911's. That's a shot of ME driving my car at VIR, (Virginia International Raceway). That's a racetrack, where people go to drive their cars at fast speeds in a relatively safe manner. (IIRC, I got up to around 130-ish on the front straight there. In that picture, I'm probably doing 60-70, starting my turn in to a 90 degree left-hander, T3)

2. If you check my signature, you'll see something that reads 'Visit my homepage.' If you view my 'Stats' section, you'll notice that I'm an avid autocrosser and that I have spent quite a bit of time on the tracks in DE programs. (Also: my Pelican Parts Profile indicates that I use my Porsche for mostly autox and DE)

3. Also: my affiliation with "Hey, Wait For Me Racing" should indicate to you that my 'online friends' are involved with Porsche performance driving.

4. If you do a search on my user id here, you'll see that I post a lot in the Racing and Driver's Education forums, which would indicate that I'm involved with HIGH SPEED driving.

So next time you ASSUME I don't drive fast, do a little research. You know what they say about folks who assume, right?

Now, regarding the Yugo comment: perhaps it is YOU who needs to sell your 944 Turbo and get a Yugo! A Yugo can do triple digit speeds, and since you probabl don't track your car, you don't need the handling and acceleration a 951 has.

You asked for it.
-Z.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:53 PM
daniel951
Race Car

when i first got my car i took it up to 125mph messing around. I actually never tried just pushing my car to its limits on straight streets like some of u getting 175mph etc...
Old 09-13-2004, 05:45 AM
87Porsche951
Instructor

Z-Man you act as if words on the net will some how hurt me or soemthing. I really dotn give a crap how fast you went on a track that wasnt the point. The poitn was he asked how was you gotten your car up and who decided to preach on about your opinion. No one cares what your opinion is about speeding, if anyoen did they would make a Post with a title like "What you think about speeding". He asked how fast not if you think its stupid or not.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:18 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Z-Man you act as if words on the net will some how hurt me or soemthing. I really dotn give a crap how fast you went on a track that wasnt the point. The poitn was he asked how was you gotten your car up and who decided to preach on about your opinion. No one cares what your opinion is about speeding, if anyoen did they would make a Post with a title like "What you think about speeding". He asked how fast not if you think its stupid or not.
Z-man has a good reputation here.
Have known him for a good many years.
Plus he's been around long enough to post 3000+ posts/replies.

Most (if not 90%) of his advice is sound.

The problem is, when you take a car out on a public highway and speed.
Especially at very high speeds, it is dangerous period. Your not only at risk to yourself but to the general public.

Our Porsches are good but not infallible. You wouldnt walk around with a loaded gun with the safety off, hanging outta ya back pocket, would ya now ?

Chances are is with people who speed, when they wipe out, they'll probably take me and mine with them.

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to stop a car doing 100+ mph ???

We've all, put the pedal to the metal at times, I'll agree. But you pay's your money and takes your choices
Old 09-13-2004, 07:21 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

3000+ posts mate,
at least you've been around long enough to be able to post !

you da man, I'm just walking on by

Originally Posted by Z-man
Ok, your response has been bugging me for a couple of days. So, I'd like to respond:

1. If you look at my avatar, you'll notice it's a picture of a Red 944S2 followed by a bunch of 911's. That's a shot of ME driving my car at VIR, (Virginia International Raceway). That's a racetrack, where people go to drive their cars at fast speeds in a relatively safe manner. (IIRC, I got up to around 130-ish on the front straight there. In that picture, I'm probably doing 60-70, starting my turn in to a 90 degree left-hander, T3)

2. If you check my signature, you'll see something that reads 'Visit my homepage.' If you view my 'Stats' section, you'll notice that I'm an avid autocrosser and that I have spent quite a bit of time on the tracks in DE programs. (Also: my Pelican Parts Profile indicates that I use my Porsche for mostly autox and DE)

3. Also: my affiliation with "Hey, Wait For Me Racing" should indicate to you that my 'online friends' are involved with Porsche performance driving.

4. If you do a search on my user id here, you'll see that I post a lot in the Racing and Driver's Education forums, which would indicate that I'm involved with HIGH SPEED driving.

So next time you ASSUME I don't drive fast, do a little research. You know what they say about folks who assume, right?

Now, regarding the Yugo comment: perhaps it is YOU who needs to sell your 944 Turbo and get a Yugo! A Yugo can do triple digit speeds, and since you probabl don't track your car, you don't need the handling and acceleration a 951 has.

You asked for it.
-Z.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:52 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

It's been a while since I posted this:

Old 09-13-2004, 10:08 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

He was on a country road, all tthe country roads I been on are usually long open roads in the middle of no wheres so seeing on coming traffic is easy and have plenty of time to slow down.
You must live in a state that has no:
1. Farms
2. Deer
3. Any wild animals
4. Children that ride bikes that live out in the country
5. Tractors
6. Trees
7. Turtles (ever his a 10lb turtle at 65mph? Very hard to see at 150mph)

Doing speed runs anywhere is dangerous, even at the salt flats (people die there to, with nothing to hit but the ground) Trying to convince everyone that the roads you pick are "safe" is ridiculous. You are 100% reckless in anything you do if you cannot simply recognize the dangers.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:18 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Z-Man you act as if words on the net will some how hurt me or soemthing.
No, that's not my point. BTW: You're the one who started with the 'Drive a Yugo if you don't drive fast' comment. I was merely pointing out that I regularly extract the most out of my Porsche in the proper venue. A Yugo would be an unsafe platform for me on the track. If you're gonna trash talk about my comments, you're gonna get an earful back, my friend.
I really dotn give a crap how fast you went on a track that wasnt the point. The poitn was he asked how was you gotten your car up and who decided to preach on about your opinion.
You may not like me 'preaching' about speeding - fine. I don't like when people post about speeding on public roads. There, we're even. Ya want me to stop preaching? The answer is simple: STOP POSTING ABOUT SPEEDING.
Originally Posted by 87Porschd951
No one cares what your opinion is about speeding,
Who made you the voice of RENNLIST? The fact is that YOU don't care about my opinion about speeding, but others do and have similar opinions. Speak for yourself, and not other people. Oh, and to refresh your memory, here are some other people's opinions on speeding and my opinions on it FROM THIS POST:
Originally Posted by Cass944
Ive seen 115 on the interstate, but i dont want to goto jail so... you wont see me doing that agian.
Originally Posted by iloveporsches
Notice his avatar; he gets his car over 100 MPH on the TRACK. Driving extremely fast or wrecklessly on public roads is dumb. That said, I usually drive 90 or so on the highway as long as traffic is light.
Originally Posted by sh944
Even if you don't agree with Z-man, you should at least give him some respect. He's been around a long time and doesn't bs...
Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Z-man, I agree...
Originally Posted by jc2
Every time I read a post like this all I can think of is how much the person is missing out on in life. Like a virgin, you have no idea what you are missing until you take it to a track. I used to enjoy spirited drives until I went to the track. Now I don't get ANY enjoyment out of driving on the street. 100mph may seem like fun but wait until you go through a turn at 100 mph. That's fun!
Originally Posted by pcarfan944
Z-man: I agree with you 100%, street racing and excessive speeding is a bad idea.
Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
It's obvious that to consistently do "triple digit speeds" the track is the place to be.
Originally Posted by Tom R
As far as the Porsche goes, I will let one of you Darwin Award contenders find out how fast it can go.
Originally Posted by cmoss
I really get annoyed whith people bragging that they've had their car up to 100+ on public roads. Get out on the track and have some fun.
Originally Posted by adrian jaye
Z-man has a good reputation here...
The problem is, when you take a car out on a public highway and speed.
Especially at very high speeds, it is dangerous period. Your not only at risk to yourself but to the general public.
Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Doing speed runs anywhere is dangerous,
Seems I'm not the only one here with a 'negative' opinion about speeding.

So next time you say that "no one cares about my opinion," you may want to back it up with some proof.

Have a nice day,
-Zoltan.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Z, We missed you yesterday. This is for you.

The many stages of speeding
First
then
and It sucks when you then get
which requires a little but still you are while you
and some

At a cetain age you just and when you hear about someone else getting you can help but think

remember speeding is a big because with this comes this and requirement to even though you think you know evertything in it since you own a Porsche.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Z, We missed you yesterday. This is for you.
Tom: that's funny!

Sorry I missed the GTG - had too many things to do this weekend....

- Z.

Quick Reply: Driving fast is fun!