Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on cone air filtering.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004 | 12:57 PM
Dalilean
Instructor

Default Question on cone air filtering.

I have been planning to get a cone air filter for my 83' 944. Yes, I know, this does very little to the car HP wise because of the hot engine and radiator air. I just ordered a hood scoop to solve this dilema. I plan to place a heat sheild around it, and place the scoop right over it. Here's my question. There is a hose that runs from the timing belt housing to the filter box, conecting to the box over the square filter. Does this hose suck air out of the timing belt housing, or is it nessesary at all? What do those that have done the mod do with the hose?
Old 09-09-2004 | 01:01 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

porsche just plugged the timing belt cover in the later models. all that hose did was serve to suck air from the belt housing, and probalby the fine rubber dust particles.

useless project, but good luck.

-Mike-
Old 09-09-2004 | 01:01 PM
M758
Race Director

That is alot of work and money for zippo gain.

Stay stock and spend that cash time on an autocross. Money better spent!

BTW... that hose can be removed. It is not really needed.
Old 09-09-2004 | 01:06 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

hey, i did a similar project on my supra i had and i liked it weather it was worth it or not. I would leave the hose or plug it if you cant find a way to keep it....its all in personallizing your car, who cares what everyone else thinks...as long as it doesnt rob power that would be bad.

I molded a bubble from an eclipse hood into the hood of my turbo supra, over the turbo. It didnt really do anything, but man i had alot of people wondering what was under that large hump!! I guess it made clearance alittle better....
Old 09-09-2004 | 01:06 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

^^^ What M758 said. Spare an 83, please.

Last edited by Tony K; 09-09-2004 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2004 | 01:07 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Autozone sells little sir filters (1" opening) in the ricer section. I've been looking at how to fit one of those on there. I tried to fit it inside the hose end, but it's way too small and I can't figure it out.

I have been looking for a solution though. Some better filter setups have a seperate fitting for this hose. Right now i have nothing on the end of this. If I had a chance, I'd go back with the stock setup. My setup is one of the cheaper aftermarket cones, but seems to work good. I'll trade you for yours - even trade!
Old 09-09-2004 | 01:47 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ditch that hose, plug the hole. It's a good way to hydrolock your engine in wet climes, and it's absolutely worthless in all cases.

Sam
Old 09-09-2004 | 01:58 PM
Dalilean
Instructor

Originally Posted by RMills944
If I had a chance, I'd go back with the stock setup. My setup is one of the cheaper aftermarket cones...!
Why? Does it rob you of any power?
Old 09-09-2004 | 02:02 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Go ahead if you want, it's your car to butcher. But it will make it worth that much less when you have to sell it.
Old 09-09-2004 | 02:05 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
Ditch that hose, plug the hole. It's a good way to hydrolock your engine in wet climes, and it's absolutely worthless in all cases.

Sam
Is that a problem in wet climes, like, ...err, Arizona? I've never heard of this in dry climes like Ohio or Florida, and in 125k total miles of 944 ownership have never had more than a small water spot in the lowest corner of the air filter box..

Old 09-09-2004 | 02:09 PM
RMills944
Drifting

It doesn't rob me of power, but there is no noticeable difference, so I'm just looking to go to a stock setup and cut some holes in the airbox. The setup I have is about a $50 setup. The adapter can also fit a 3" K&N cone, but I just haven't gotten around to buying the good cone yet.
Old 09-09-2004 | 02:23 PM
Sasquatch
Instructor

I just went back to the stock after running a cone for the last 2 years.

When it is above 80 degrees outside, the Cone filter will actually COST you power.

I just did back to back runs, one with the cone, then put the air box back on and the airbox had a better SOPD power delivery.

THe only thing lacking with the stock setup is the bling factor if you are trying to impress your homies.
Old 09-09-2004 | 08:24 PM
Dave
Race Car

As above, a cone will cost you a few ponies, but with the scoop set up correctly you should be able to get almost all of that power back. I assume you have access to a wind tunnel to make sure it won't create a low pressure condition and cost you even more power than the cone does by itself?
That's a new one on me Sam, Nj can get pretty wet but I've never heard of a single case of hydrolock with a stock intake (I imagine a cone and a hood scoop might be a problem in the rain). Just how wet does the clomate have to be, in order for this to happen??
Old 09-09-2004 | 09:27 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Standing water to a few inches above the bottom belt will do it - the belts fling the water upwards and it gets pulled through that pipe into the engine - do a search, I didn't know about it until reading about it on here - as you mentioned, I certainly don't worry much about it in AZ.

Sam
Old 09-09-2004 | 09:39 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's another approach. I bought the cone filter kit from Vertex, which comes with a nice mount for the air flow meter (yes it's fine to mount the meter upside down as the kit suggests) and a cone filter. Then I ran a piece of 3inch diesel supercharger hose over to the hole where the factory intake goes through the fender. I had to "adjust" the cone filter a bit with a hammer but it now fits under the fender, with the neck of it coming through the factory hole nice and snug with no cutting. Thus I have the low-restriction of a cone filter and I'm always drawing cold air from under the fender. (a ricer 4x6 foam filter would be an even easier fit under the fender.) And no cutting the hood! It's is 100% reverseable should you want to sell the car. It's not the prettiest setup but hey it's a race car, I don't care about all that!

Quick Reply: Question on cone air filtering.