Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a much better day in 924S land...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 12:34 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default a much better day in 924S land...

so wednesday i smoked some wires in the dash harness and burnt up my turn signal switch. Thursday nite i traced it from the switch to the ignition switch, and from the switch also to the headlite switch, both grounds. I ran some new wires from the switches and hooked it all back up w/ a new turnsignal switch(which i think the old one had a malfunction internally)- and everything worked fine, no smoke even. I assembled everything completely then noticed the tach didnt work. i went home.

Today i started fresh, after work with a determined look on my face at least. After checking grounds etc, i started looking around under the dash..DOAH, i must have unplugged something coming from the dme accidentally while working under there. Plugged her up, whala, tach works. You would think i would be happy w/ the results, car runs, turn signals, no smoke...but, i still have a black interior w/ a brown switch.

I took the burnt up old switch apart and checked out the intricate workings of the inside. The black switch handle itself was perfect, but the springs for one of the contacts where fried,and the round mounting post itself was all melted. I bravely disassembled the WORKING unit, melting the plastic that holds the cover on and taking it apart. After some trying i figured out how to assemble the ten pieces together in order and melted the plastic back on w/ the soldering iron. TADA- black ts switch.

NOW on to fun stuff, so i was on a roll tonite, i decided to go ahead and install my extra tailight sockets i got off nine-44's parts car and get some extra light out back. MAn, i loved it on my 44 and i love it on my 24. Then i said what the hey and pulled the front struts and installed my weltmeister lowering springs. They set a good stance and feel good, but i think now i need an alignment-well i will after lowering the rear- and my upper bearing cups feel like they are toast. I guess i need struts soon too..man, it never ends...
Attached Images    
Old 09-04-2004, 09:16 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

well, my springs finally settled in i guess, they kept popping and creaking. quick question...

do the late model upper strut bearings work in the early cars, im sure they would....

is there a different momo adapter for early interior vs. late....

if i order koni struts, do i need different housings or do they fit in the stock units?
Old 09-05-2004, 12:02 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Good stuff, hows the teener doing?
Old 09-05-2004, 01:21 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

BTDT.. Glad she's operational..
Old 09-05-2004, 01:32 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

teener, well, got my plates transferred to it today, "RENNLST" baby! Running strong, got the new motor and stuff sitting in the shop awaiting tear down in the next few weeks. I may wait till after next weekends cruise.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:41 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Feeling bad ... <sniff> my 924s is in hibernation in NY now.

100% rehabbed the brakes before making the trip from CA (need to post pics)... but it needed more help... and I didn't have time.

I swapped my entire turn signal / ww switch assembly because the ww switch seemed to intermittently turn the wipers on/off.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:10 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
well, my springs finally settled in i guess, they kept popping and creaking. quick question...

do the late model upper strut bearings work in the early cars, im sure they would....

is there a different momo adapter for early interior vs. late....

if i order koni struts, do i need different housings or do they fit in the stock units?
Hey, glad to hear it's working! Which car are you driving on Sat for the cruise? I assume the teener?

The strut bearings on that should be the same as a 86 and older 944. The momo hub adapter is different in 83-85 944's compared to 85.5 and later cars. I am not certain for your car, but IIRC I think it is the same as an 83-85 944 in that respect. The Koni struts should fit in your existing struts with no cutting, the tops should just unscrew off and you pop out the old cartridge, put the new one in, then screw the cap back on. Much easier than the hacksaw Konis.

Old 09-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering welty lowering springs until i get my full suspension setup, but if i do that, i have to lower the rear end too huh? how hard is it to do that. (eccentrics bolt right?) If i have acces to air tolls will that work? is there a write up on this?
~Eyal
Old 09-05-2004, 07:34 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
I was considering welty lowering springs until i get my full suspension setup, but if i do that, i have to lower the rear end too huh? how hard is it to do that. (eccentrics bolt right?) If i have acces to air tolls will that work? is there a write up on this?
~Eyal
I would recommend that.

Here ya go:

http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index...x_v2&id=62&c=4

Jeremy
Old 09-05-2004, 11:13 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

yeah i need to lower mine in the back now too, alittle hot roddish..but that is for another day soon. I know the later upper cups had a little hole in one side to align them correctly. THis is cus they looked like they were angled to a 30degree or so to make the springs set straight. I dont think the earlier ones were like this.....should work better, so when i replace my old worn out uppers, im thinking of doing the lates in this respect.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:16 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I would recommend that.

Here ya go:

http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index...x_v2&id=62&c=4

Jeremy
thanks Jeremy, so is this a pretty easy job like it looks? also, for lowering springs, the welty 250's are good, or is ther better out there... remember this is only temporary until i go all out with suspension.
~Eyal
Old 09-06-2004, 10:43 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

if your just running the factory sways...etc, i would recommend the 200 weltmeisters..Finally lowered my rear today and even w/o the sways she seems much more stable. With some turbo sways i will be ON IT! Hey jeremy, you racing in the corvette/porsche shootout in two weeks?

Quick Reply: a much better day in 924S land...