Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation problem again!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 01:01 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never died for me. If you already verified the correct gap, then I'd say that wasn't it, although it certainly didn't hurt to fix.

Have you checked/replaced your DME recently?
Old 09-03-2004, 01:05 AM
StupEd05
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Havent replaced it recently. I tried jumping it and could hear the pump spinning. If the DME was bad wouldnt it just not fire at all?
Old 09-03-2004, 11:45 AM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Murdered Hitler: the A/F mixture is fine and it passes emissions fine. The mixture jumps all the way lean every few seconds, but just for a split second.

The car, when just started, will almost stall if you hit the gas within about 20 seconds of starting it. If you wait a minute, then drive, it's fine. I'm going to clean the injectors, get new plugs, and a new AFM if necessary. After that, then exhaust tubes and cat need replaced. Hopefully that will fix the problem somewhere in there.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by i murdered hitler
i've been reading most of everything on this board for the past 3 months and i made a membership a few weeks ago.
i've got 3 944's in the driveway, all n/a. the '86 is going to be a parts car pretty soon, not much of it is worth putting in another car. the drivers rear quarter is wiped out. i looked for a replacement and i found an '87 with 175,000 mi. that needed a clutch. paid $400 and towed it the entire 3 blocks to my house.

i'm currently going to a tech. school taking auto technology and i graduate in 6 months. i wanted to go to school because i had a hard time diagnosing my old bmw every time it quit on me. i was great at pulling heads and starters, but i didnt know why my engine blew a head gasket just because of a little pinging. i wanted to be a porsche tech but i decided that there aren't enough porsche dealerships around and if i wanted to move, i couldn't.

sorry if i came off as a jerk telling everyone to take their cars to someone who will only charge them too much money for diagnosis; just think of this, $30 and some research on exhaust gasses and you could find out precisely whats going on in your combustion chamber. i'm just giving out my knowledge to save some money.
It's cool. Welcome to rennlist, and please, post pictures of your 944s! they're great cars. and also, sorry if I came off as a jerk. now that I see you have some credentials, it's gonna be great to have ya here. My appologies for "rippin ya a new one". Happy driving
Old 09-03-2004, 02:58 PM
StupEd05
Pro

haha, yeah I would definitely take mine to have the emissions tested except with it stumbling and dieing like it is I dont think it would make that far.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:46 PM
i murdered hitler
6th Gear

Originally Posted by RMills944
I Murdered Hitler: the A/F mixture is fine and it passes emissions fine. The mixture jumps all the way lean every few seconds, but just for a split second.

The car, when just started, will almost stall if you hit the gas within about 20 seconds of starting it. If you wait a minute, then drive, it's fine. I'm going to clean the injectors, get new plugs, and a new AFM if necessary. After that, then exhaust tubes and cat need replaced. Hopefully that will fix the problem somewhere in there.
sounds like you know whats going on more than me, i need some more experience!!
Old 09-04-2004, 04:51 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Hey people. I just bought a 86 944 na, found a ton of great stuff here at rennlist for a few repairs I had to make (man. trans coupling, sunroof, other misc. things), thanks! I didn't read any posts that mentioned the fuel *pump*, so I thought I'd throw that out there. A friend of mine owns a 94 Ford Explorer, and had problems that were very similar to those described, b/c of the bad pump...I know, its a Ford, and I also don't know too horribly much about the 944 or fuel injection technology, but it seems like there's still alot of head scratching going on, so I thought it couldn't hurt to mention it! Hope you guys can get your cars back out on the street.

Trevor

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem again!