Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the "rice" fad ever die?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 09:41 PM
Ric_Porsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Will the "rice" fad ever die?

Will it ever just go away? I loath it. I see it everywhere in Baltimore. I am just wondering if it will ever get back to having a nice car and that being cool in itself. Not ghettoed out. Pimped. Extremely annoying to me when someone pulls up next to me and their system is so damn loud that I can feel my nut sack jiggle on my own car seat and can't hear my own damn music!

I know this makes people happy and that is fine. I just hope it goes away, soon. The spinner wheels have got to be the worst though. Butt ugly. Why do people think this is cool?

Sorry just had to rant about it cause it really does irritate me to no end.

I feel better now.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:52 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

lol

It won't end, it's a 6 Billion dollar a year business thats only going to keep growing.

I'm right there with ya though, right there...my least favorite has to be the unpainted fiberglass body kits...coupled with the 22inch spinners and the 70' aluminum wing thats a full foot above the roofline of the car. On an otherwise stock, 108hp fwd drive car.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:54 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

What I hate about it is how they have tarnished the name of some nice cars. I used to be a big fan of the 300ZX, Supra and RX-7 series sports cars, but now they're just seen as some teenage tearaway pimp mobiles for the bling bling crowd.

What irks me even more is that most of these ricers are stupid and have no qualms about endangering innocent drivers. Here in Minneapolis street racing has taken the lives of innocent motorists, bystanders and the drivers themselves and is evidently a big enough problem that they might build a public track for racing of that sort.

And yes, I hope it's a fad....they're just so damn anoying, just because I have a Porsche doesn't mean I wanna race!

Pat
86 944
Old 08-24-2004, 11:02 PM
lilredpo
Pro

IMHO...I feel the rice phenom is the fault of the American car manufacturers.

When I grew through my formative years we were working '60's - early 70's American Muscle cars. My first rides were a '67 Mustang convertible and a '75 MGB. Friends worked Fords, Chevy's, Plymouths, etc.. Good quality cars with lots of available accessories and upgrades.

These cars were afforadbale, parts were cheap and there was something to work with.

Who wants a hopped up Ford, Chevy or Chrysler of today? The younger crowd they market to are not so cool and trucks seem to be marketed to RETARDS!

So, without much in the way of American-made products out there...hence, the rice movement.

Cheaper than European rides, yet afforaable enough to customize.

Not to sound old fashioned, but in my day you worked with the money you had and the options available for the bang for the buck.

Just like the '44 owners on this board.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:24 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

as mentioned above, no, the rice won't die. it's a very large industry. the wheels are a fad, and the fads will change but the overall industry will not.

in the same vein, muscle car fanatics are still just as common as they were 30 years ago - just go to any small town in the south. the automotive modification movement has expanded to include imports, trucks, sedans, and sports cars - not just muscle cars anymore. get over it and ignore the ignorant people with no taste
Old 08-25-2004, 01:50 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
the wheels are a fad, and the fads will change but the overall industry will not.
I agree. A few years ago the wheel fad was vogues. You know, the 13" wheels with tires WAY too small mounted on them, with offsets that put half the tread outside the fenderwell. That looked so ridiculous that I wanted to drag each and every ******** with those wheels out of his car and beat the snot out of him. Detect the hostility? Anyway, thank God that fad faded, and it's a relatively rare sight today. I tolerate spinners very well by comparison.

When I was in HS, it was Cragars, Keystones, and Centerlines. Then there was the billet craze. Spinners and dubs are just a fad.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:51 AM
Wrecksimple03
Addict
Rennlist Member

tifo...891st post
Old 08-25-2004, 02:38 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spinners make me ill....it's just stupid that someone could drop $6,000.00+ on a set of WHEELS!

I was talkin to this douchebag I used to work with, and he was talkin about how he wanted an H2 with 24" spinners, but the wheels alone would cost him $20,000.00...I asked why ANYONE would want to drop that kinda money on wheels, and he said, "Cuz the girls like em." I felt like kickin him in the nuts after he said that....
Old 08-25-2004, 02:52 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Tell me about it, someone I know wants some type of chebby SUV, I forgot which one, anyway he told me that the rims he wants alone are $18,000.00. On a $30,000 car mind you.

I think it will fade a bit but will always be there. I think that rear wheel drive is making a comeback though and that might at least kill this stupid front wheel drive performance car hobby that has formed.

The american car companies still dont get it. The new pont GTO might go like stink (maybe) but it looks like crap. On top of it pontiac cant find anything else better to do with it than to show commercials of the car doing stupid acrobatics and sponser drifting.

I am not saying drifting doesent have its place, (though to me it is the stupidist sport), all I am saying that if pontiac waited 30 years to bring back the GTO only to go drifting with it, the world is a mixed up place.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:58 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

IMHO American cars are cheap, plastic pieces of sh*t. we have a pontiac. it's just there. it doesn't do anything but move people...and seriously, it is the ONLY car I've ever driven that I have to talk on a cell phone to stay awake. it's such a boring car....
Old 08-25-2004, 03:20 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
IMHO American cars are cheap, plastic pieces of sh*t. we have a pontiac. it's just there. it doesn't do anything but move people...and seriously, it is the ONLY car I've ever driven that I have to talk on a cell phone to stay awake. it's such a boring car....
Just look at all the commercials running for them right now, Chevy can't move a car without some kind of 0.0% finance along with $5000 cash back and owner loyalty. The new GTO is OK but it's really just an Australian Holden with a Pontiac badge. American cars have closed the gap for sure, but for instance look at where the new Cadillacs are designed; the Nurburgring in Germany. What Cadillac doesn't want to tell you is how much German engineering they incorporate into their cars in the process. The new 300C advertisement trumps that it "rides like a European car for $30,000 dollars less" but they don't tell you it has the exact same suspension system as the old E-CLASS. Typical American manufactures, taking credit for something that isn't there.

Meh....don't even get me started, rant over.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:36 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

My truck is cheap...

They might suck, but they have three things that our euro's will never have:
1) parts availability
2) cheap parts
3) ease of repair
Old 08-25-2004, 03:47 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ric_Porsche
Extremely annoying to me when someone pulls up next to me and their system is so damn loud that I can feel my nut sack jiggle on my own car seat and can't hear my own damn music!

thats the funniest **** i have ever read on rennlist..
Old 08-25-2004, 04:33 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Hate all you want....its not gonna get you anywhere.

People like this are what make life interesting. Live.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:42 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

As long as Japanese keep making newer "improved' models, turners would just keep on coming with newer 'better than OEM' stuff.

Just look at the Nissan 350Z for example, there is already a turbo kit for it (it's been a while now).

Then, these very same turners 'upgarde' their products, from a turbo kit stage 1 all the way to stage 3 (or some crap).

If the Japanese car markets dies out (which would NEVER happen) so will the turners.......

Quick Reply: Will the "rice" fad ever die?