Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the "rice" fad ever die?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 08:16 AM
adie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" 70' aluminum wing thats a full foot above the roofline of the car." Thats a wing? I thought it was some sort of pram handle! or at best a drinks holder or a bird table!.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:39 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrecksimple03
tifo...891st post
Hey, thanks for keeping count! The 1000th post about "rice" on this board gets a special prize, to be announced at a later date and time.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Porschephile 924]<snip>, and he was talkin about how he wanted an H2 with 24" spinners, but the wheels alone would cost him $20,000.00...I asked why ANYONE would want to drop that kinda money on wheels, and he said, "Cuz the girls like em." <snip>QUOTE]

correction- should have been "Cus girls like ME like them".

I saw a 1970's white cutlass on the side of the road Sunday, apparently undergoing some roadside repair (I'm sure duct tape, super glue and baling wire were being utilized- as no tools were visibly present)- it was all spraycan white (Including all of the former chrome pieces and the grille) and I swear it has 30" white wheels/tires. It reminded me of the "Dubz" series of Hot Wheels- looked completely rediculous.

It will fade away- inherent to the rice phenomenon is:

1. The inability to drive within the lines/ posted speed limit.
2. The inability to control the vehicle at any speed
3. The liklihood that the driver/ passenger is carrying contraband ane will be arrested if pulled over
4. The proclivity to gather with others in an innappropriate place.

NOPI is an exception.

I did see a 350ZX with a ironing board wing, stick on flames and "go faster" stickers all over the hood/ fenders/ roof. As soon as they realize the 20 grand they spend in stickers and geegaws actually lower the value of the car this will pass.

You dont see any of this stuff at Barrett Jackson, and probably never will.

Yeah, I had N50-15's and G60-15's on my Maverick when I was 18.

That phase passed, this will too. Lets just cull all the humor out of this while we can. I can only imagine what's next. I do think the LED hubcaps that will have customizable messages are next. It's only a few months away.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:28 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

[QUOTE=Chris_924s]
Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
<snip>, and he was talkin about how he wanted an H2 with 24" spinners, but the wheels alone would cost him $20,000.00...I asked why ANYONE would want to drop that kinda money on wheels, and he said, "Cuz the girls like em." <snip>QUOTE]

correction- should have been "Cus girls like ME like them".

fix a joke baby!

rice is retarded, but as long as retards keep breeding, there will always be an automotive fad that is retarded... sorry

just try to ignore it for now, or move somewhere where people have good taste and aren't raised to be vacuous *******.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:01 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look on the bright side of things:

- Our cars' prices are kept affordable because the craze is for Japanese stuff.
- Being not desired by an undesirable crowd, we are not as much targets for vandalism, etc.; thieves and vandals go for Civics, Acura HIDs, etc...
- In 10 years, it will border on impossible to find a decent Supra or 300Z because they will all be trashed; 944s/other Porsches are largely being spared of ricer destruction
- 944s/Porsches not being wanted by ricers = keep a lid on our insurance rates
- Ripple effect of ricer movement may be strengthening of stereotype of Porsche drivers being responsible.

I guess what I am trying to say is that Porsches and their owners are in a bit of a "safe zone" because the idiotic masses and rambunctious youths have all turned their attention to Hondas and Mitsubish - er, 'scuse me - DSM's y0!
Old 08-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Lotus and Lancia seem to be pretty safe from this epidemic as well...
Old 08-25-2004, 12:39 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Ok, my $0.42 on this topic:

As a previous Toyota MR2 owner, I can say that not all import models have been effected by the rice craze. I think the MR2 club hates rice MORE THAN WE DO HERE! I believe the most common rice cars out there are: Honda Civic, Mistubishi Eclipse, Toyota Supra, and the VW Golf (not technically a Japanese car, but nontheless often riced out!)

This phenomenon has been around for a long time - ever since they started tweaking small-block Chevy's and ripping off body panels! The teenagers in every era have always done some tweaking to their rides. Street racing happened back then as it does now. Let's face it - kids have always done stupid stuff!

The problem with the modern 'hot-rodder' (ie rice crowd) is that the speeds are much higher, the stakes are greater, and the dangers are also greater. The teens from the 50's and 60's had disrespect for autority, but they woundn't brandish a gun and shoot folks!

As for the 'all-show-no-go' aspect of rice: today's Hondas weren't the first cars with flame jobs and custom taillight lenses. Their 'interpretation of art' is vastly different from mine, but in terms of artwork, I have to admire their desire to stand out!

The biggest thing I hate is the lack of respect for others these folks have.

Ok, end of rant.
-Zoltan.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Lotus and Lancia seem to be pretty safe from this epidemic as well...
Usually on internet forums/message boards, any mention of "Lancia" follows sometihng like "WTF is a.."
Old 08-25-2004, 01:03 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony K
Usually on internet forums/message boards, any mention of "Lancia" follows sometihng like "WTF is a.."
WTF?
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2004, 01:07 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

MMMMMMMMMM. Lancia.

While spectating a stage at the Olympus Rally in Washington state (the last WRC event ever to be held in the states), a Lancia Delta Integrale ran over my right foot. Now let me tell you, that was cool. I guess I was a little too close to the inside of the corner.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:13 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z-man
Ok, my $0.42 on this topic:

As a previous Toyota MR2 owner, I can say that not all import models have been effected by the rice craze.
Well of course! An MR2 is a mid-engine, rear-drive car--a sensible layout for a real performance car! (One would think they would be the most targeted of all - go figure!)

Amen to your comments about disrespectfulness.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:14 PM
Adam H
Pro

However fine the line may be and however often obscured, let's remember that there *is* a difference between import tuning and rice.

Too bad most import tuners don't get it! q :
Old 08-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have 3 local MR2 ricers around here (all first gens) and then there is one second gen turbo (but its not rice)

Rice affects everyone.. Not just the japanese cars because to tell the truth alot of true "JDM" trends have not made it to america but infact america has become verymuch its own "rice" culture with its own specific trends and also alot of money going into marketing new "factory Rice rockets" like the SRT-4, Saturn redline and soon the cobaltSS.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:21 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

037 picture:

Here's my analogy:

Lancia : Rally :: Porsche : Road Racing

That pic just became my new wallpaper!
Old 08-25-2004, 01:39 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't think the SRT-4 would be considered rice... isn't it's performance pretty decent? or is it really just a body kit on a neon?

Quick Reply: Will the "rice" fad ever die?