Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the "rice" fad ever die?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 08:42 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack '84 928s
I um drove a srt4 up to 155mph.... One of my friends had one. That thing was fast damn fast. Only in a straight line though because of the fwd...
Yeah, right. Might want to check into the Grassroots Motorsports SRT4 autoX project car before you condemn fwd. Or the C-rex or the mini or the GTI...
Old 08-26-2004, 08:55 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

It ain't going away. This same kind of she-it has been going on since after World War 2. Deuce coupes and the like, then muscle and pony cars, now compact rides. Next decade it will be something else. You think the staid suburban crowd was happy back in the 50's when teens were honkin' around in rusty old chopped up Fords.
Attached Images   
Old 08-27-2004, 01:00 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The best part about all this animosity is that WE European car owners KNOW quality when we see it. The term quality is nonexistant to a pimp-daddy-G ricer. Thats the entire difference between US, and THEM. A showing of pride is stronger with somebody making a statement using attitude. A showing of respect demands nothing more than the fact that you stand by and support a respectable car make. This thread is nothing more than a comparison of two entirely different personalities. Unfortunately, the fad of driving a "street racer" is now a lucrative lifestyle, for many choosing to sport this type of style. I dont agree with their dangerous street demonstrations, or even stickering their cars- but I can't change people, places, or things. I can ONLY change myself- if I wish to do so. Right now as a Porsche owner- I wouldnt change that for the world....

Zach
Old 08-27-2004, 01:11 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Um, might want to reel in the comment about WE European car owners. I think Flamingeye would confirm that many of the annoying boy racer types all over the UK and Europe are driving European cars. Vauxhalls, Renaults, small VWs and small Fords (the Focus is technically a Ford Europe product) all pimped to the gills.

And quite frankly I quite enjoy darting around in my Civic coupe. Not quite as solidly built (read heavy) as the 924S, but a far more sophisticated suspension and a motor, even the D16 series, that is for more receptive of power enhancing mods than our NA motors.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:04 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flamingeye
Could you please let me in on the term 'ricer'
Thankyou
This is the original "riceboy" page. This will tell you all you need to know.

http://riceboypage.com/
Old 08-27-2004, 05:06 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tony K
Honestly, where did all of those 88-92 CRXs and Civics go?
An aweful lot of them have become SCCA ITA race cars. They are one of the most popular race cars in SCCA club racing.

EDIT: This was in response to the "my buddy has a honda civic DX..." post, addressing the 'why people keep bashing imports' point.
Porsches are imports too.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:16 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Joe Anstett
Actually it originated in the late 70's - early 80's. Japanese cars in general were called "rice burners" because they were so efficient on gas and, obviously, were Japanese, hence rice. In other words, as if they were fueled by rice.
Wrong.

Rice, in the common usage today, is short for riceboy. As I posted previously, you need to go to Bryan's Riceboy Page to get more background on this. Read the history as well. Bryan coined the term "riceboy."

Riceboy, or rice for short, has nothing to do with the origin of the driver or the car. It's more of a state of mind of the car owner.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:23 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dilberto
The best part about all this animosity is that WE European car owners KNOW quality when we see it. The term quality is nonexistant to a pimp-daddy-G ricer.
You don't know what you are talking about.

I can tell you from first hand experience that the quality of my Nissans is way better than my 944. Absolutely no question. Take them apart. The interior of the 944 is put together with tape and glue for God's sake.

My BMW is a toss-up. Many things are higher quality, but the damned thing is crap for reliability compared with my Nissans.

Now I'm not dissing Porsche or BMW. I love them both. But don't talk out your ****. You're just being a snob.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:33 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Nissans I owned (4) were ok cars but lacking build quality and were overly complex in an engineering sense. Similar to the Hondas. Mind you these were late 80's early 90's cars. The truuth is most are similar these days except for a few Itialian and French makes. BMW and Mercs will mostly be made in China soon... Rice is also related to the make of the car... though can transcend on occasion.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:47 AM
Shoden
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hondas have poor rust resistance. Probably worse than Fiat. That's the second reason why they are crap. Honestly, where did all of those 88-92 CRXs and Civics go? I haven't seen one in *months* in Ohio. They used to be everywhere you turned your head.
Where did they all go? Well, here's where a few of them are

As for rusting, only one of those CRXs has any significant rust. The other two only have the typical minor rust at the back edge of the rear fenders.

And I don't know about Ohio, but I see plenty of them here in Kansas City. Dozens of 88-91 Civics, and usually a couple of CRXs every day.

As for rice, it's usually the result of a combination of ignorance and poor taste, and isn't limited to Japanese imports, and unfortunately it'll never go away.

And now, just because so many HUGE pictures have already been thrown in this thread, here's another picture of a couple of my CRXs with my 944...

Old 08-27-2004, 08:49 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Geo
An aweful lot of them have become SCCA ITA race cars. They are one of the most popular race cars in SCCA club racing.

Porsches are imports too.
Sorry there, Houston, Texas . . . . but in places where cars rust, Hondas don't live more than 8 years on the average. Hundreds of them in SCCA is a far cry from several hundred thousand civics and CRXs on the road 10 years ago.

Reading comprehension: my usage of 'import' was paraphrasing someone else's post who was specifically referring to Asian cars.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:16 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by NZ951
The Nissans I owned (4) were ok cars but lacking build quality and were overly complex in an engineering sense.
Talking about overly complex engineering is ironic in defending a German car.

Originally Posted by NZ951
Similar to the Hondas. Mind you these were late 80's early 90's cars. The truuth is most are similar these days except for a few Itialian and French makes. BMW and Mercs will mostly be made in China soon... Rice is also related to the make of the car... though can transcend on occasion.
Again, regarding rice, I suggest folks read Bryan's Riceboy Page. Rice is more about the mindset of the owner.

Oh, and another note about German car quality.....

I heard on NPR (National Public Radio) that BMW is recruiting engineers from the states now. Seems their quality is slipping and they feel they can improve it by recruiting engineers from the US auto makers.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Geo
Race Director

Sorry there, Houston, Texas . . . . but in places where cars rust, Hondas don't live more than 8 years on the average.
Sorry there, Ohio, but I'm a native of Rochester, NY so you don't need to tell me about rust.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Wheat burners!

Originally Posted by Joe Anstett
Nope, can't agree. There's a small market of tuners who try to be different and go a different route. There's the wheat burners (riced out domestics like Cavaliers, Focus, Neon), and the VW crowd has a chunk of 'em too. I've seen a couple riced-out Mustangs in my day too.
That's funny. I don't believe I've heard that one before.

There are ones that I have heard though:

"Bean" - similar to rice, but primarily used to describe cars that have had a distinctive Hispanic influence. Dingo *****, low-riders, lots of hydraulics, small tires on big rims. I assume the owners may be "Beaners".

"Kraut" - rare, but refers to German cars with the rice treatment. It is sad to see a Mercedes or BMW, or worse yet, a Porsche that has gotten the kraut treatment.

Others to consider: "Macaroni" - Italian rice. Make up your own...

Now back to our regularly scheduled hijack...
A little Kraut for you, not!
Attached Images     

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 08-27-2004 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Geo
Sorry there, Ohio, but I'm a native of Rochester, NY so you don't need to tell me about rust.
Then I shouldn't need to tell you that. Take a count of 10 year old Hondas next time you go up to see your folks!

Quick Reply: Will the "rice" fad ever die?