Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the "rice" fad ever die?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Now back to our regularly scheduled hijack...
Thank God . . ..
Old 08-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Geo
Race Director

Oh, funny aside to this.....

A good friend of mine is half Japanese and has lived here and in Japan. In Japan there is a group that is heavily into modified and pimped out vans (the 70s in the US was pure amateur night compared to these guys). Anyway, in Japan they are nicknamed......

Hamburger boys!
Old 08-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much are CRX's worth? I see one in town on some back road, in OK shape, old blue paint with a stripe ro soemthing down the sides.. maybe lower fenders and doors are black? Can't remember, anyhow, I don't know the mileage yet, but what is a fair-ok condition CRX worth? It was for sale for 400 and i thought it might be a fun project for maybe making my brother a car or something for when he gets his license. Any idea on value?
Old 08-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Wrong.

Rice, in the common usage today, is short for riceboy. As I posted previously, you need to go to Bryan's Riceboy Page to get more background on this. Read the history as well. Bryan coined the term "riceboy."

Riceboy, or rice for short, has nothing to do with the origin of the driver or the car. It's more of a state of mind of the car owner.
And where do you think that term derived from? How the heck does one independently apply the so-far unused "rice" description to describe a "riceboy"? What's the magic connection Bryan used in a vacuum in 1997?

Come on, I distinctly remember the term "rice burner" from the early 80s. Props to Bryan but I wouldn't go on a ledge to say he invented the term.

BTW, Scott, AWESOME rally pics!
Old 08-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Anstett
Well then - how about some "Macaroni"?
Attached Images     
Old 08-27-2004, 04:31 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

the kraut thing: kinda off from that, but my old boss called mine a jew burner.....and so no one gets offended, i am both polish and german descent. so maybe ill spontaneously combust someday....but i think i took it way too far. ban me!
Old 08-27-2004, 04:33 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

that fiat looks like a yugo! and i want the mirrors from the alfa for the 944!
Old 08-27-2004, 04:48 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by kennycoulter
that fiat looks like a yugo! and i want the mirrors from the alfa for the 944!
Well you are half right - the Yugo was based on a FIAT design. The 128 if I remember correctly. A car that was already 10 to 15 years old when the Yugo came out. The Yugo was one of the last cars to come standard with carburetion in a world that had all but gone to fuel injection.

Now what's the French equivalent of rice, bean, wheat or kraut?
Attached Images     
Old 08-27-2004, 05:51 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

dont call me stupid but the blue one looks like a maserati merak
Old 08-27-2004, 07:02 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And where do you think that term derived from? How the heck does one independently apply the so-far unused "rice" description to describe a "riceboy"? What's the magic connection Bryan used in a vacuum in 1997?

Come on, I distinctly remember the term "rice burner" from the early 80s. Props to Bryan but I wouldn't go on a ledge to say he invented the term.

Actually, if memory serves me, the term "rice burned" was a reference to Japanese bikes, not cars.

Originally Posted by Tony K
Then I shouldn't need to tell you that. Take a count of 10 year old Hondas next time you go up to see your folks!
Well, if you would like you can come over and look at our 1996 Civic (yeah, only 8 years old) which is basically spotless, rust free. And it has lived its whole life, 365 days a year, on Cleveland Ohio streets. And I'm sure if you know Cleveland at all you realize they sling salt down like they have tons to spare. Well, actually they do since there is a huge salt mine off of Cleveland under Lake Erie.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Geo
Race Director

Indeed, rice burner has been around for years.

But, the common usage of "rice" to describe gaudy and overdone cars does indeed stem from Bryan's Riceboy Page.

The overdone gaudy look brought cries of "riceboy." Then, it got shortened to ricer. And lastly, cars done in such a fashion have simply been known as rice. And since riceboy, ricer, and rice applies to all such overdone and gaudy cars be they Honduhs, Nissans, Porsches, or BMWs, this holds true.

As you correctly noted, the term rice rocket has been around for years. But terming a car rice, or ricey, or the driver a ricer has only been around since Bryan launched his page.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by kennycoulter
dont call me stupid but the blue one looks like a maserati merak
Renault Apline (gen II)
Old 08-27-2004, 07:51 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Question:

Does anyone in Europe actually buy American automobiles? If you are in any part of Europe, how often to you see Chevys, Pontiacs, Buicks, Cadillacs? Are there Saturn dealerships? Who drives Chryslers?

Other than Ford Europe, Im not sure Ive ever seen US-bred cars even on TV when I watch stuff from Europe -- movies, shows, etc. Is this because to import them they are too expensive compared to Euro makes like Opel, Fiat, Peugeot, Lancia, etc? Or os it because europeans know American cars are, for the most part, gigantic hunks of shibbidy.

Any Mr Cultural World Traveler or someone out there got an answer for me?
Old 08-27-2004, 08:04 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo

As you correctly noted, the term rice rocket has been around for years. But terming a car rice, or ricey, or the driver a ricer has only been around since Bryan launched his page.
How do you know this?
Old 08-27-2004, 09:40 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by NZ951
How do you know this?
Because I've lived it.

I knew about Bryan's Riceboy Page shortly after he launched it when I heard the term Riceboy for the first time. I've watched as Riceboy became Ricer for short, and Rice to describe the car and/or mods.

Prior to this I was very familiar with the term rice rocket (and as already has been said, that was typically used to describe Japanese motorcycles).

Prior to Bryan's Riceboy Page being launched the words Ricer and Rice were not used as they are today or even close. OK, I'm sure someone somewhere did, but the terms as they are used today evolved from Riceboy. And the words Ricer and Rice are used in ways that are totally in sync with Riceboy.

Trust me. This is true. I have lived it and I've been a car enthusiast almost as long as I can remember. I was reading Car & Driver and Road & Track (US enthusiast publications) when I was around 8, (35 years ago) so I'm not just a newbie to the enthusiast world either.

Quick Reply: Will the "rice" fad ever die?