Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the "rice" fad ever die?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 05:40 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adie
" 70' aluminum wing thats a full foot above the roofline of the car." Thats a wing? I thought it was some sort of pram handle! or at best a drinks holder or a bird table!.
Sounds exactly like a bunch of PCA race cars I saw at Parade.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:45 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z-man
As a previous Toyota MR2 owner, I can say that not all import models have been effected by the rice craze. I think the MR2 club hates rice MORE THAN WE DO HERE!
I know the same is true of the VAST majority of the SE-R community as well. They saw the AC Schnitzer CG adjustable wing for the E46 Bimmer and called it rice. Can't say they're wrong either. If it were made in Japan for a Japanese car (the exact same thing) people here would call it rice. I thought it was funny though.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fishey
Rice affects everyone.. Not just the japanese cars because to tell the truth alot of true "JDM" trends have not made it to america but infact america has become verymuch its own "rice" culture with its own specific trends and also alot of money going into marketing new "factory Rice rockets" like the SRT-4, Saturn redline and soon the cobaltSS.
Very very true. And we're not immune either. Just think back to some old threads with riced out 944s we've all laughed at.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:51 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tony K
037 picture:

Here's my analogy:

Lancia : Rally :: Porsche : Road Racing

That pic just became my new wallpaper!
While Lancia is known for rallying, many don't even know that Lancia produced a winning car in the late days of Group 5 road racing (the 935 was built for Group 5).
Old 08-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Red1
I wouldn't necessarily consider those little cars rice just because they're tweaked economy cars. Remember the Omni GLH? Maybe you don't. Anyway, just because it's fwd and "sporty" doesn't automatically make it a ricer. Doesn't make it anything I'd want to own, but I guess it appeals to some.

Ture "import enthusiasts" probably hate ricers as much as we hate the stereotype of a middle aged, bald headed, exposed hairy chest w/gold medallion necklace "swinger" Porsche poseur owner.
This is exactly right on all counts.

I know it pisses some folks off when I talk about it, but the original Sentra SE-R will run with a early (lower hp) 944 NA all day long, even on a road course. And despite the Integra GSR being a favorite of the ricer crowd, I think it would actually beat the 944, even on a road course. Put a GSR in the hands of a true enthusiast (they are out there and as Brian said, they hate the ricers too) and they are incredible cars (but I still don't like Honduhs after having two).
Old 08-25-2004, 07:35 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
This is exactly right on all counts.

And despite the Integra GSR being a favorite of the ricer crowd, I think it would actually beat the 944, even on a road course. Put a GSR in the hands of a true enthusiast (they are out there and as Brian said, they hate the ricers too) and they are incredible cars (but I still don't like Honduhs after having two).

Um, no it wouldn't. My friend has a 96 Integra GSR, he isn't a professional driver but isn't as clueless as many and his Acura is simply no match for my 944 in the twistys. For example, one of many, the other night we were going around a series sharp highway clover leafs and on/off ramps, when we eventually met up he told me that in those corners his car was right at it's limit and any faster and he would have lost it. My response: "Oh, my car still had a lot left in those corners" and it did. I could have easily cornered 5-10 mph faster had I felt confident enough.

The Acura is a nice car, he's let me drive many times and in a straight line it's without a doubt quicker, but when the straights turn to bends it's narrow tires, FWD and inferior suspension just don't cut it against my 944.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:09 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
While Lancia is known for rallying, many don't even know that Lancia produced a winning car in the late days of Group 5 road racing (the 935 was built for Group 5).
True. Lancia had a pretty strong racing program in the 70s. They ran toe-to-toe with the Russkies... I mean Ferrari and Porsche.

Hijack mode still in effect.
Attached Images    
Old 08-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Tony still salivating...
Old 08-26-2004, 10:11 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
Um, no it wouldn't. My friend has a 96 Integra GSR, he isn't a professional driver but isn't as clueless as many and his Acura is simply no match for my 944 in the twistys. For example, one of many, the other night we were going around a series sharp highway clover leafs and on/off ramps, when we eventually met up he told me that in those corners his car was right at it's limit and any faster and he would have lost it. My response: "Oh, my car still had a lot left in those corners" and it did. I could have easily cornered 5-10 mph faster had I felt confident enough.

The Acura is a nice car, he's let me drive many times and in a straight line it's without a doubt quicker, but when the straights turn to bends it's narrow tires, FWD and inferior suspension just don't cut it against my 944.
I think Geo is referring to cars driven on the race track / road course. Driving on public roads up twisty mountains is vastly different than taking the car to the track.

The Teggy needs only a few tweaks and it can be a fantastic car on the track. I had a '90 GS before I got into this track stuf, and it had a very strong chassis - it's too bad they went away from the double wishbone suspention setup - it was more precise than their current setup.

This past weekend, I was on track with my 944S2, and the Dodge Neon in my group was actually faster than me in the corners!

Don't get me wrong - I'd much rather drive a RWD car on the track, but don't be surprised by what a fwd can do...

-Zoltan.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red1
I wouldn't necessarily consider those little cars rice just because they're tweaked economy cars. Remember the Omni GLH? Maybe you don't. Anyway, just because it's fwd and "sporty" doesn't automatically make it a ricer. Doesn't make it anything I'd want to own, but I guess it appeals to some.

Ture "import enthusiasts" probably hate ricers as much as we hate the stereotype of a middle aged, bald headed, exposed hairy chest w/gold medallion necklace "swinger" Porsche poseur owner. I mean, just because I look like that doesn't mean I assume the rest of you do.

I am not saying that they are not fast but my point was to make is they are aimed dead on to the ricer market regardless of there proformance. (all cars I listed dyno over 200whp) So its no suprise to see bodykits stock, painted calipers, Large rims, wings, Large Exaust tips (3.5" on SRT-4 for its 2.25inch piping) and more! I am just purely pointing out that there were no factory cars styled that way untill lately.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geo
This is exactly I know it pisses some folks off when I talk about it, but the original Sentra SE-R will run with a early (lower hp) 944 NA all day long, even on a road course. And despite the Integra GSR being a favorite of the ricer crowd, I think it would actually beat the 944, even on a road course. Put a GSR in the hands of a true enthusiast (they are out there and as Brian said, they hate the ricers too) and they are incredible cars (but I still don't like Honduhs after having two).
I have been working to develop the suspension and wheels for the two cars in the following shots. I can tell you this - I can hustle the Sentra around our test track in Arizona as fast (or faster) than the Z. The "unofficial" lap record out there is in a Spec V. We are fighting rice with true performance enhancing products.

Hijack continues...
Attached Images     
Old 08-26-2004, 12:45 PM
nikko
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy has a honda civic dx (the cheapest one ) he just slapped a turbo from a probe in it and is getting around 180 hp reliably out of it. He also has done alot of suspension work his light weight grocery getter costs less in maintainence and upgrades the my 924S ever will so what is wrong with those imports. I just dont get why you guys keep slaming those cars they do have good potenial and parts are cheap and beleve it or not they handle really well when done right.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:46 PM
nikko
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry about spelling (fat fingers)
Old 08-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nikko
My buddy has a honda civic dx (the cheapest one ) he just slapped a turbo from a probe in it and is getting around 180 hp reliably out of it. He also has done alot of suspension work his light weight grocery getter costs less in maintainence and upgrades the my 924S ever will so what is wrong with those imports. I just dont get why you guys keep slaming those cars they do have good potenial and parts are cheap and beleve it or not they handle really well when done right.
When it's done right! I don't think anyone is commenting in a negative way to things that are "done right". That is not what rice is. Rice is doing it wrong. Tacking crap on a car that does nothing to improve the performance. In most cases it is a step backward in performance in the name of "personalizing" or "customizing" the vehicle. See below. Here is a good example of a riced out American car. Can you honestly tell me this is in any way "done right"?
Attached Images   
Old 08-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

y0 dizzat car iz mad tyte y0! I bet itz got NAWWWZZZZZZ!!!

Quick Reply: Will the "rice" fad ever die?