Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the "rice" fad ever die?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang. A friend of mine used to do SCCA Pro Rally in the mid 80s. I wish I had a scan of one picture he showed me.

It was from an Ohio rally (I think the same one already mentioned). The start was in the middle of town. Down a ramp and down Main St (or whatever it was called). He was watching all these guys lift big-time for a bump on the street (well, a bit more than a bump). He told his co-driver, "This is rally, I'm going for it." A friend shot a photo of him at full droop with the tires at least a foot in the air. Apparently the only car that got more air was Buffum in the Sport Quattro.

BTW, if anyone happened to be there the car was a light blue early 80s 200SX. Oh, and when the landed the wiring harness dropped on there feet.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:17 AM
RMills944
Drifting

My brother showed me 2 great video sites if anyone is interested.

Off road videos:
http://home.off-road.com/~mithrandir/4x4vids/

Rally videos:
http://www.rallyalbum.hu/video.htm
Old 09-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Dang. A friend of mine used to do SCCA Pro Rally in the mid 80s. I wish I had a scan of one picture he showed me.

It was from an Ohio rally (I think the same one already mentioned). The start was in the middle of town. Down a ramp and down Main St (or whatever it was called). He was watching all these guys lift big-time for a bump on the street (well, a bit more than a bump). He told his co-driver, "This is rally, I'm going for it." A friend shot a photo of him at full droop with the tires at least a foot in the air. Apparently the only car that got more air was Buffum in the Sport Quattro.

BTW, if anyone happened to be there the car was a light blue early 80s 200SX. Oh, and when the landed the wiring harness dropped on there feet.
That would have been the Sunriser PRO Rally out of Chillicothe. Unfortunately, has not run in almost ten years. As you mention, the stage ran through town and there was a nice yump in the street. After a couple of years - it became a popular photo-opp for the drivers (and the photogs). Just as Brockway Mountain was at Lake Superior Pro Rally (until last year). The Brockway Mountain stage has been shortened in length to avoid the big yump that had always been just before the finish.

Samples from Brockway. How did these get here?
Attached Images    

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 09-01-2004 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:06 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ftanguay
Jonnybegood: if you want rice go there: http://www.civicsux.net/
It's in french but just click on the link... especially "ricebov movie"
there's many pictures.. like this one ; )have a good laugh
The way that lady is smiling it is like, yeah, the boat and the car belong to my ex husband!
Old 09-01-2004, 07:44 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

Some of those pictures hurt, regardless of whakind of car it is. In my opinion, which chances are will get bashed, is that some of those cars have potential, if done right. In my opinion i loathe all cars loaded with stickers and such. Usually those guys end blowing all of their money wighing down the car. i.e. on kid at my school, (yes still in high school), got a then new rsx from mommy and daddy and completly loaded it with heavy as rims, monters 12 in" subs and all sorts of speed preventers. The only thing he added that i'm sure he thinks made it faster and louder was a six inch grape fruit shooter exhaust TIP!!! I like cars that keep a factory look. My 944, i wanna keep my fuch's, they are sexy! I'm sure this has happened to many a person here too, where some random person rolls up at a red light and says, "what you got under there dawg"? My reply is stock and damn proud! On guy i know did his eclipse right. No trashy stickers, no big honkin exhaust tip. Just nice chrome rims, a stainless steel slightly larger than factory tip. It sounds great and looks beautiful. I;m just gonna end it cuz i know it will be much longer than this if i keep going. Just remember, opinions are like *** holes, everyone's got and one and everyone's stinks.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:54 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

In honor of post number 200 in this thread, here are a couple of 200SX pictures.
Attached Images   
Old 09-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Long live the rally thread!
Old 09-02-2004, 01:35 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

While we're on the topic of rallying, have any of you taken a look at the latest Colin McRae game? It looks amazing!
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
While we're on the topic of rallying, have any of you taken a look at the latest Colin McRae game? It looks amazing!
That's funny. It looks like Colin got to drive that Lancia! It's obviously not too realistic though - because the car looks to be still on stage, as opposed to being completly wadded up on its roof in the trees. Maybe that's around the next bend...

Tony K. - since you've been such a good sport, and actually seem to encourage this hijack, here are some Lotus shots I found. Sorry, no rally action. Loti are too fragile for that I fear.
Attached Images    
Old 09-02-2004, 02:08 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
That's funny. It looks like Colin got to drive that Lancia! It's obviously not too realistic though - because the car looks to be still on stage, as opposed to being completly wadded up on its roof in the trees. Maybe that's around the next bend...
Well, the car looks damaged... You never know
Old 09-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Default Reply 205

As long as I can find numbers to match. Here is a 205 T16 from an interesting point of view...
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2004, 04:52 PM
flamingeye
Instructor

Saw this gratuitous piece of ricing on the roof of this Rover 90 on the way home from work this evening. What lengths will the kids go to be different???
Attached Images   
Old 09-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe they just had to move something? whats so rice?
Old 09-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flamingeye
Saw this gratuitous piece of ricing on the roof of this Rover 90 on the way home from work this evening. What lengths will the kids go to be different???
Those are spinna hub caps too, aren't they?

Speaking of ricing on the cake... I mean roof...
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

^^^^Tony's new wallpaper!

Quick Reply: Will the "rice" fad ever die?