Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the "rice" fad ever die?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony K
037 picture:

Here's my analogy:

Lancia : Rally :: Porsche : Road Racing

That pic just became my new wallpaper!

OK. It's official - I'm hijacking this thread! See attached...

Tifo - you mentioned a while back that you were involved with POR in some regard. Fill me in on the details. This year's running will take place on Sept. 10-11 out of *******. It's not the PRO Rally it used to be - but it is still great fun. LSPR is the watered down version of what POR used to be. It runs Oct. 22-23 out of Houghton (in da UP, eh). Still trying to put enough sheckels together to run that one as well.

Oh - was the Delta a European team or from the US? I think there is one here in the States - though I'm guessing you got run over by one of the true factory cars.
Attached Images     
Old 08-25-2004, 01:55 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The one that ran over my foot was a privateer entry from a couple of italian brothers that had support from the factory mechanics. They were fairly wealthy and decided that they would buy a car and run a few WRC events and rent the mechanics for every event. Their name excapes me. I have a VHS tape from that event, I may have to break it out for reference. I think it was 1986? I am getting old now. It was the year that McGyver ran in a factory-backed Toyota Corrolla FX and totally destroyed it. That was the last year of the Group B's, Toivenen had died earlier in the year and the Ford RS 350 had wiped out a slew of spectators in a bad off. By the time the Olympus rally came around, the nails had already been put in the coffin for the Group B cars.

My rally days are over, the last pro event I raced was in 1995. I think I went back and worked STPR the following year, but then haven't been involved since. Haven't even done a TSD event since then. I quit to spend time concentrating on bicycle racing (another one of my true loves), then had to quit that sport due to illness.

I enjoy watching rallies on TV, and occassionally get fired up, but then come back down to earth when I remember some of the bad "off's" I had and the fast rate that the money flowed out of my wallet.

(sorry for the hijack )
Old 08-25-2004, 01:56 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

And while we're at it - here are a few good Porsche rally cars...
Attached Images     
Old 08-25-2004, 02:00 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a good shot somewhere of Jeff Szwart impailing his 911 on a tree backwards during a stage of the Sunriser Pro-Rally in Chillicothe. I need to find that and scan it in.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:13 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
I didn't think the SRT-4 would be considered rice... isn't it's performance pretty decent? or is it really just a body kit on a neon?
On paper, it produces 215hp, but in real life, they say the number is significantly higher. IIRC, they added an LSD to the car for model year 2004.

I could do without the basket handle spoiler and the lower body cladding, but it can be a scorcher!

-Z.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:30 PM
Jack '84 928s
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I um drove a srt4 up to 155mph.... One of my friends had one. That thing was fast damn fast. Only in a straight line though because of the fwd...
Old 08-25-2004, 02:35 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
Rice affects everyone.. Not just the japanese cars because to tell the truth alot of true "JDM" trends have not made it to america but infact america has become verymuch its own "rice" culture with its own specific trends and also alot of money going into marketing new "factory Rice rockets" like the SRT-4, Saturn redline and soon the cobaltSS.
I wouldn't necessarily consider those little cars rice just because they're tweaked economy cars. Remember the Omni GLH? Maybe you don't. Anyway, just because it's fwd and "sporty" doesn't automatically make it a ricer. Doesn't make it anything I'd want to own, but I guess it appeals to some.

Ture "import enthusiasts" probably hate ricers as much as we hate the stereotype of a middle aged, bald headed, exposed hairy chest w/gold medallion necklace "swinger" Porsche poseur owner. I mean, just because I look like that doesn't mean I assume the rest of you do.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
OK. It's official - I'm hijacking this thread! See attached...
Jesus Scott, find some bigger pictures, will ya?
Old 08-25-2004, 02:38 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z-man
On paper, it produces 215hp, but in real life, they say the number is significantly higher. IIRC, they added an LSD to the car for model year 2004.

I could do without the basket handle spoiler and the lower body cladding, but it can be a scorcher!

-Z.
Actually, the 2004 model is rated at 230 bhp and 250 lb-ft of torque. There are many articles and reports that these "flywheel" numbers are even lower than dyno numbers at the wheel!

And lest you think I was only joking - the hijack mode is still on...
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So, is that hood scoop functional?
Old 08-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Wow - great Porsche AND Lancia rally pics in one page! I'm in Heaven!!! Scott and Jeremy must be God and Jesus?!?!?
Old 08-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Jack '84 928s
Drifting

SRT-4 motor is basically, the lancer evo motor. I remember reading this somewhere. Dodge used mistu turbo motors before and they do own part of the company. .
Old 08-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack '84 928s
SRT-4 motor is basically, the lancer evo motor. I remember reading this somewhere. Dodge used mistu turbo motors before and they do own part of the company. .
No. This is not true. The Dodge motors are evolutions of the Neon 2.0 liter that was turbocharged and increased to 2.4 liter for the PT Cruiser. The only cars getting the 4G63 Mitsubishi motors are Mitsubishi cars.

Hijack mode still on...
Attached Images    
Old 08-25-2004, 05:05 PM
Adam H
Pro

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
So, is that hood scoop functional?
Yep. The SRT-4 is not too bad a car.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by ClassJ
The new pont GTO might go like stink (maybe) but it looks like crap. On top of it pontiac cant find anything else better to do with it than to show commercials of the car doing stupid acrobatics and sponser drifting.
Actually, it's being raced in Speed World Challenge now.

Originally Posted by ClassJ
I am not saying drifting doesent have its place, (though to me it is the stupidist sport)...
Well, I know I'm going to get flamed by some who don't like it when I speak my mind, but I think drifting is pure rice. Rice is generally about flashy stuff without substance right? It's about stuff that is supposed to look like it's racey, right? Well, that describes drifting. Pure rice.

Quick Reply: Will the "rice" fad ever die?