Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

allignment general stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 05:39 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default allignment general stuff.

ok. i noticed today that i have allignment wear on my driver side front tire outside edge. this is the bad shock. when i put in my weltmeister bushings, i left my tires where they were. i havent rotated in a while, but not a longer time than usual. i am wondering if my car is out of allignment and NOT pulling to any one side. the other things im thinking are that because of the bad shock, things might be leaning a bit on the edge. also, i am taking a new route to work and usually drive fast. this new route has tons of right turns that i take fast. is it possible that because of these sooooooo many(seriously its a lot or right turns really hard for a long time) right turns, that my tire is now wearing on the edge of the tire? it is a very noticeable slant and not a roundedness. i just noticed the wear today, but i know it was fine for a very long time. the shock started messing up around maybe 1.5 months ago or so. the reason im asking this and not just taking it to a shop is: im moving soon, i have no money, and none of the shops around here will answer questions or check for free. i cant replace my shock yet, and i know theyll tell me my shock needs replaced, come back in. i know its possible that my scribe lines oround the rear control arm mount may have been off because of thickness or scribe etc. etc. but i lined it up perfect with according to my oil marks everywhere. am i even thinking of the right right part for the adjustment for that? whats that called that leans the tire in/out? it seems the rear mount would adjust toe in/out, but its late and im not thinking straight. ok.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:40 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

did none of this make sense?
Old 08-19-2004, 08:14 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

bad shocks..some positive camber \---/ and alot of right handers will do it.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:20 AM
PorscheMonkey
Instructor

Wouldn't all the left turns on the way home even it out?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under inflation?
Old 08-19-2004, 01:16 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

its highway off ramps that are sharp. i usually am way too tired and try to drive slow on the way home so there arent really any hard left turns. underinflation would wear both edges though right?
Old 08-19-2004, 01:44 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A 968 DE instructor told me that our cars tend to wear the outside of the front left tire faster than anywhere else. This is true for my victoracers and seems to be true in your case. I have never noticed it on my street tires though.

It sounds like new struts, shocks and alignment are in your future. There is no need to go for expensive shocks you should be able to get some Sachs (Factory) or KYB units for a reasonable price. Driving hard on a bad strut is dangerous, I suggest you replace them as soon as possible.

I just found the KYBs for $43 each front and $37 each rear.
http://www.coximport.com/kyb/p3.html

But I suggest you talk to the Paragon guys and see what they can offer. Their knowledge is invaluable.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:00 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

i was hoping to go with adjustable konis but cant afford them right now. im moving soon so i dont have money even for an oil line for my svo. but i do have 2 other cars to drive.......maybe i didnt look at the mileage as clos3e as i thought for my rotation interval. i thought a bad strut would jjust make the suspension bouncier because of only working on the spring.

Quick Reply: allignment general stuff.