Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you wave ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 10:32 PM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll wave if I see the other driver looking. I saw a red 944 yesterday here in town... I saw him, but he didn't see me till it was too late to wave. I saw his head snap around though. I also find that it's mostly the drivers of older 911's & 914's that notice me, though I do get a lot of "WTF is that???" looks from people in all types of cars...
Old 07-31-2004, 11:10 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Again, dissenting vote time.

No. I dont wave. Ill just leave it at that but I kinda feel like its a bit faggy. Thats not meant to be slight on the homosexual population. I like gay people too. Id vote a gay person in office so hows that. Its the only word I feel that describes what I feel about the wave though.

I can just see a guy in his Miata across the intersection sitting in his car saying "awwwww, how cuuuute. Those two men in their Porsches are waving at each other. Thats just the most precious little thing Ive ever seen. I wonder if they both have penises too? Awwww. Wait til I get home and tell Mary Anne."

A bit facetious, but you get my point I guess. Ive stopped giving the finger as it was deemed bad protocol, so now Im just ignoring you. I do see you though and I do see you in your Porsche.

Ive been known to be quite antisocial. Im just not into the goo gaa stuff. But if you like to wave, far be it from me to stop you.

Its entirely within the realm of possibility I could drive right by Chris924S, not wave at him, trigger a WTF response from inside his car, then meet up with him two minutes later at a predetermined SW Ohio GTG and act like he just gave me one of his kidneys. So its not a "I dont like you" thiing. Its just feels outside my boundary of testosteronal comfort.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was just reading this, and I was going to post, "and cue UD!"

But alas, I am too slow. I wave at 944's.... even though the last one I waved at was a black early 944 with an 80 year old women driving it.. (didn't know that till after I waved). I wait for 911's to wave first.

BTW you are due for a new word of the day..
Old 08-01-2004, 02:22 PM
freek
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since i own a Jeep CJ as well i am used to waving at others (i think thats where "the wave" started, ...oh wait... maybe bikers), it shows a comraderie, "great minds think alike", and all that crap. I haven't seen too many 944's around my area yet (i did just get the car though and hadn't put much thought for looking for them), but when i do i'll prolly wave.
If you think the porsche people are crazy about waving chech out us jeepers
someone has put way too much effort into this but it is funny and enlightening

http://www.jeeptalk.org/jeep_wave.shtml

Old 08-01-2004, 02:58 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here, I always wave... unless it's a 924 (DOOOOHHHHH!!!!!!)
Old 08-01-2004, 05:06 PM
Revvin_911S
Instructor

Its too bad that 911 drivers have gotten such a bad rap about being "non-wavers". I always wave to almost any Porsche. The exception being a 996 or boxter, then I will look at the driver first and see if they look like they have a clue. Dont write off all 911's though, some of us will wave.

Blake
Old 08-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Revvin_911S
Its too bad that 911 drivers have gotten such a bad rap about being "non-wavers". I always wave to almost any Porsche. The exception being a 996 or boxter, then I will look at the driver first and see if they look like they have a clue. Dont write off all 911's though, some of us will wave.

Blake
Yeah, I think that it's not a blanket remark of all 911 owners.. There are some that wave and are excited about seeing a 944.. Those are also the ones that usually are " Driving " their car and not sitting in the slow lane doing 45...
Old 08-02-2004, 12:47 PM
jgaylord
Track Day

If you love the culture you should wave/flash or whatever to all Porsches. If they don't signal back then maybe you've identified someone who doesn't. Lots of people just drive these cars, mostly Boxsters it seems, because they are status symbols and know nothing about their heritage or care too. That's OK maybe someday I'll buy their pampered Porscheahhh off them.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Predator
And after I teach them a lesson in advanced acceleration, then just stare at their navels!
Old 08-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by GOBOGIE
Same here, I always wave... unless it's a 924 (DOOOOHHHHH!!!!!!)
Does you arm hurt? Huh, does it?? From rubbing salt in that open wound??

FWIW, Cory just wont wave at me. I get a completely different hand signal from him, it's similar to the one UDPride would offer..
Old 08-02-2004, 01:38 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations!

You are the 273rd poster to start a thread on the 924/944/968 board regarding "waves"!

Way to go!
Old 08-02-2004, 04:43 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

I wave at 944s even when I am riding my bike to work. I have had waves from more 968s than 944s.

I always wave at 944s when I see a clown behind the wheel. Who knows perhaps it is Tifo!
Old 08-02-2004, 04:48 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

i wave all the time when i see other 944's. i usually wait for waves from 911's, but since my car has been in the i.c.u. in my garage for the past month, i've been driving my mom's car around, a 2002 toyota camry. it's a force of habit for me to wave to other 944's and the 968's ive seen and i've gotten some interesting looks from those drivers when i'm in the camry.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:54 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by UDPride
Again, dissenting vote time.

No. I dont wave. Ill just leave it at that but I kinda feel like its a bit faggy. Thats not meant to be slight on the homosexual population. I like gay people too. Id vote a gay person in office so hows that. Its the only word I feel that describes what I feel about the wave though.

I can just see a guy in his Miata across the intersection sitting in his car saying "awwwww, how cuuuute. Those two men in their Porsches are waving at each other. Thats just the most precious little thing Ive ever seen. I wonder if they both have penises too? Awwww. Wait til I get home and tell Mary Anne."

A bit facetious, but you get my point I guess. Ive stopped giving the finger as it was deemed bad protocol, so now Im just ignoring you. I do see you though and I do see you in your Porsche.

Ive been known to be quite antisocial. Im just not into the goo gaa stuff. But if you like to wave, far be it from me to stop you.

Its entirely within the realm of possibility I could drive right by Chris924S, not wave at him, trigger a WTF response from inside his car, then meet up with him two minutes later at a predetermined SW Ohio GTG and act like he just gave me one of his kidneys. So its not a "I dont like you" thiing. Its just feels outside my boundary of testosteronal comfort.
You KILL me! Have you thought about having your meds adjusted tho'?
Old 08-02-2004, 04:55 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonnybgood
I have had waves from more 968s than 944s.
You actually see more than one or two 968s on a consistent basis? I realize you live in the Bay area, but because there are so few in the country, that's amazing. Lucky you. The only 968 I've ever seen, excluding Porsche events, dealerships, my dad's and mine, was in Santa Barbara, CA. I would probably faint if I saw another 968 around here (besides my father's, of course).

UDPride, you are an absolute hoot!

On topic, yes, I generally wave at other Porsche drivers. It's as if I'm a kid in a candy store, and I can't help myself. (At that point, UDPride, my testosterone levels are completely overwhelmed by my childlike joy at seeing my favorite marque of car in the world. ) (I thought about putting a wink face where I put a smilie, but I thought it might be too much for your sense of manliness, UDPride.)

Quick Reply: Do you wave ?