Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004 | 01:28 AM
Tb311
Racer

Default Suspension Upgrade Questions

Ok I dont know a lot about suspension but Im pretty sure my cars suspension is getting worn. I know I have the yellow adjustable Konis and I want to upgrade my suspension by rebuilding them and probly converting them (all 4) to coilovers with the height adjustable ones from paragon. Now my question is what parts do I need to get because there are so many options on their site. I would also like to hear some of your recommendations. This car is going to be a daily driver so I dont need anything too stiff. Here are some pics of what I currently have.
Attached Images   
Old 07-23-2004 | 01:33 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

talk to skip or jason at paragon - they are both extremely helpful.

for my setup, i have their adjustable ride height kit in the front with yellow konis and 275 lb hypercoil springs. this is really not that stiff - even on the street. the rear has the KLA industries coilover helper shock with 140 lb springs. i would like it to be even stiffer. you can do the front strut conversion yourself, or pay the extra $50 per side for skip to do it.

if you are looking at competition at all, or just want more adjustability in your ride height, i would definitely use their setup. you have to replace the internal strut cartridge, plus sleeve the strut housing with the threaded collar and spring perch. for your purchase, you need the adjustable ride height kit and then pick the springs you want. i would also recommend changing the upper strut bearing while you're there. make sure you get a good alignment after everything is done
Old 07-23-2004 | 03:43 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

First, lift up the boot on that front strut to see if it's a Koni conversion to 8641-1414S (an insert, should have a black rubber cap) or the standard sealed strut (will have a non-removeable crimped on cap). Our adjustable ride height kit requires that you have converted struts (so the threaded sleeve will fit). [NOTE: On many 86 951 OE applications, the top seled portion can be shaved slightly to make the sleeves fit.] If you cannot use the ride height kit with your struts, and you want to keep your struts as is, you can get lowering from a set of Weltmeister springs.

There is no conversion for the rear shocks to coil over but there are several other options. Any change either to the torsion bars themselves or to make allowances to install a coil over will require you "do" the torsion bars.

Just off the hip from what you already posted, I would think you'd be happy with 300# front springs and 28mm/29mm rear torsion bars or 200# rear spring if keeping the t-bars OE and going with a coil over.

If you want to avoid doing torsion bars, then 200# - 250# for the front and consider upgrading the rear sway bar to the 19mm 968 M030 type (especially for 250# fronts)

Aside from the apparent need for new bump rubbers (ride height kit comes with Koni comp snubbers), check for play in the ball joints, tie rods, upper strut bushings, sway bars bushings, etc.

Good Luck!
Old 07-23-2004 | 09:25 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

i have the 200lb front coilovers from paragon and i love them incorporated w/ the turbo sways and koni yellows on my car. I am going to do the 250 fronts and 968 rear sway soon!
Old 07-23-2004 | 09:36 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by xsboost90
I am going to do the 250 fronts and 968 rear sway soon!
Old 07-23-2004 | 10:14 AM
poindex30
Racer

I recently purchased the Koni yellows all around, did the strut conversion myself, switched to camber plates (because my strut mounts were worn) and installed the ride height adjustable coilover kit. My car feels 10 years newer eventhough it felt good before. I purchased all of my stuff from Paragon and they were very helpful when I got stuck during the installation. Surprisingly the strut conversion (hacksawing and drilling) was the easiest part. Compressing the springs and getting the strut package in place was the biggest pain.
Old 07-23-2004 | 10:23 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Originally Posted by poindex30
Compressing the springs and getting the strut package in place was the biggest pain.
yea, trying to remove the large strut mounting nut without an impact wrench or vice grip was painful. i was on my knees the whole time with that strut between my legs. ouch
Old 07-23-2004 | 10:43 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by poindex30
Compressing the springs and getting the strut package in place was the biggest pain.
Compressing what springs? The race springs? Most coilover kits you just adjust the perch to the bottom and the spring is rattling around loose.
Old 07-23-2004 | 11:01 AM
jp944
Pro

Here's a question for you guys. I got some lowering springs, and they seem pretty short. Stock 951 spring I pulled out was a 15 1/4" spring. New ones are 11 1/4". When I re-assemblel the strut, the spring has about 2" of play up and down before contacting the perch. Does this seem right to you guys?
Old 07-23-2004 | 11:02 AM
jp944
Pro

George, you posted my answer before I finished the question. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2004 | 01:27 PM
poindex30
Racer

Originally Posted by Geo
Compressing what springs? The race springs? Most coilover kits you just adjust the perch to the bottom and the spring is rattling around loose.
Unfortunately that was not the case in my situation. While my 200# springs were about 3 inches shorter than the stock springs they still required compressing to get the bottom strut bolts up into the proper position next to the hub. This may be due in part to the fact that the camber plates I bought (the gray ones at Paragon) increase the ride height 1.5 inches over the standard strut mounts. The red ones they sell don't have this effect but they cost $200 more.

I am considering taking the ride height adjustable part off of my strut to lower the car maybe another 1/2 inch.
Old 07-23-2004 | 01:42 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Geo, it all depends on the rate of the spring. A 200# spring may be 12" while a 400# spring may be 8". The lower rate spring still do sometimes need to be compressed to install, especially with the flat style camber plates.

Poindex, I'm confused on the last statement - did you chop off the lower perch before installing the ride height kit? If not, you should. You'll gain another ~1" of lowering by doing that.
Old 07-23-2004 | 01:48 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Haha, mines doing the same at the moment. New struts up front and 6" wheels, and worn shocks + 7" in the rear. Im going to put 26.8 and 19mm sways and then probably some konis for the rear. Thatll be enough for me.
Old 07-23-2004 | 02:30 PM
poindex30
Racer

Originally Posted by Skip
Geo, it all depends on the rate of the spring. A 200# spring may be 12" while a 400# spring may be 8". The lower rate spring still do sometimes need to be compressed to install, especially with the flat style camber plates.

Poindex, I'm confused on the last statement - did you chop off the lower perch before installing the ride height kit? If not, you should. You'll gain another ~1" of lowering by doing that.

Skip,

Thanks for that info. I did not cut off the lower perch. From looking at the strut I didn't think I'd get much benefit from doing that.

What options do I have for cutting off the perch? I know a spinning wheel grinder (or whatever its called) would do it but I don't want to buy one. Is there anotjher more useful tool I could purchase to do the job?

I guess I could rent a grinder.

Thanks,

Mickey
Old 07-23-2004 | 03:26 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Skip
Ah! Thanks for the info. I hadn't really thought about lower rate springs needing to be longer. That would help to keep them seated as well.

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade Questions