Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennbay control arm kit install going well.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 09:28 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rennbay control arm kit install going well.

have the arms all fitted up and am letting the epoxy dry overnight. re-assembly in the morning. thanks for all the help on here - again. it was pretty simple and straight forward after getting in there....man those snap rings SUCK!
Old 07-22-2004, 09:38 PM
Hawk36
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad it's going good....control arms are one of my next tasks.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:51 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

get a big vice - easier than doing it with a hand-clamp like i had. nasty time trying to keep things lined up.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:22 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

See Brian... You made it all the way through without even having to call once.

So when are we going to have a south Florida get together. We need to all go hang out one night somewhere.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:55 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

well - i was going to say: but its not TOGETHER yet....but it is! not time for a test-drive at the moment, but perhaps tonight i'll give it a quick shake-down.

the drivers side joint was all messed up - the plastic bushings rattling around in there - and the grease was pretty dry. thats the one that i heard creaking, so its always good to actually find a problem once you get in there.

my only question is: how tight should the sway bar mounts be where they tie into the A Arm? seems like you could really crank em down due to the rubber bushings there, so i turned them until there is about 1/2 inch of threads showing on top....should i tighten it up more? it doesn't rattle around that i can see - on the road it may prove differently.

thats my only question - and no left over parts!
Old 07-23-2004, 07:27 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

ok - took it out for a quick run and it feels great. i can't believe that i can feel a difference, but i can. still wondering about the sway bar mounting points on the arms - how tight should they be??? cranked down hard?
Old 07-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Sounds like you get it all back together Brian. The tightness of the sway bar links sounds about right to me. If it starts to feel a bit catchy up front give them a few more turns.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:36 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

cool - thanks travis. nicely put together kit.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Jimmy34
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just finished mine also...

What a difference...thanks to everyone who helped...I had a neighbor offer me a lift at his shop so it was so easy...

FYI, to get the bottom snap ring out just dig in behind the ring and pry it out(it's aluminum so make it as thin a passage as possible) so you can catch it with another small flat tip screwdriver...it was sweeeet...

Make sure you take out the bolts holding the top of the ball joint completely out and then when putting it back just line the groove up...

Doesn't hurt to pack the hell out of everything internal with bearing grease...

I also only took out the bolts from the front of the arm and at the rear I took out the 2 bolts holding the arm up to the frame (or ???)...they were vertically bolted in and easier to maneuver...

I didn't really have to unbolt the other side of the sway bar but if you have a few minutes it doesn't hurt...

I tightened the sway bar link until it bottomed out at the end of the thread...the rest of the bolts I tightened using pressure but common sense...

Important thing to remember, put everything back together EXACTLY as it came out...just remember it and you'll be fine...

The only thing I'd recommend is using a 5 minute epoxy instead of what comes with the kit if you don't want to wait overnight for Travis' epoxy to dry...

All this coming from a guy who doesn't do anything like this EVER...

Thanks Travis for making this so easy...and feel free to correct any stupid comments I made...

JIMMY34
Old 07-23-2004, 09:18 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

jimmy - you're right on. i did the same thing re: the two vertical bolts rather than the one big pivot point. before removing, i scribed around the outline, and it seemed to line right back up upon assembly without much fuss.

5 min. epoxy is a good call as well - but i was running out of light anyway - so i drained the oil while it was up on stands, called it a day and let the stuff dry overnight.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by Don 944 LA; 03-04-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:43 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not much to see in pics more than the ones on rennbay... Very easy install.. Getting prepared to do my other side, since i dropped the dough for the full kit. Before i loose my parts.

Oh, btw i think i threw out the rest of the greese by accident that you gave iwth the kit travis.. can I just use wheel bearing grease or soemthing?
Old 07-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I'll send you a new pack of it. Just drop me an email and I will send some out to you.

You should use the stuff I sent you for the installation. Afterits in there you can pack it with just about anything you like.

Quick Reply: Rennbay control arm kit install going well.