Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for 944 guys with Vented Nose Panels

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 09:08 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that is a euro bumper w/ the rubber bumperettes shaved off. Like tifo said, the 931 nose was off of his car.

Hey jeremy, if you find a nose let me know, i will weld the pieces in for you....
Old 07-22-2004, 09:11 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
Hey jeremy, if you find a nose let me know, i will weld the pieces in for you....
Excellent! Thanks!

Can we temporarily remove yours when we do that so that we can get a good look at the brackets we need to fabricate/weld? I took a lot of photos of it just in case before it was delivered to you, but in person would be better. Know anyone that can roll metal? I'd like to make the lips of the cut-out's look "factory".
Old 07-22-2004, 10:27 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually speedforceracing will still do vented nose panels. You have to walk them through the door in person. the reason they stopped was people would ship them the nose panel in a box full of peanuts and they would get damaged in shipment and it became a big mess. So if your in Southern California and can hand carry your nose panel into their shop they will do it for you.

IPSC
Old 07-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in SoCal and would be willing to hand carry in. Do you know what they charge?

Where can I get the black plastic little vents. Are they still available from the dealer...without waiting a hundred years!

I considered the Dremel approach too, but kept thinking it would look crappy without the "rolled edge" to each hole as mentioned by Tifosiman above. Anyone figure out how to do that?
Old 07-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

using a dremel on the panel woul double the time it'd take to cut it out. Not to mention, you'd probably warp the aluminum you are trying to cut. Are there any local metal manufacturing shops around in your area? There's one here in National City that does custom aluminum work and I've seen them do great jobs with people's hoods. I THINK they use some sort of plasma cutter to do the work.

IMO I think the nose panel would be great to help reduce high cooling temperatures on these cars that have been hounding us since the 1980's.

Andy
Old 07-22-2004, 12:38 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

noses are steel, not aluminum. Cutting w/ a dremel will work thats how nine-44 did his, but it will take longer than using a big pneumatic cut off wheel.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

using a dremel on the panel woul double the time it'd take to cut it out.
I not only told you guys how long it took but gave you a link to a thread where numerous pictures/impressions are listed. All you have you have to do is READ.

but kept thinking it would look crappy without the "rolled edge" to each hole as mentioned by Tifosiman above. Anyone figure out how to do that?
Read the other thread, there are pics, decide if they look crappy to you.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:50 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Take it easy Matt, don't blow an O ring!

I tried using the link and it wouldn't work...if it had I wouldn't have asked the questions.

The maxim "There is no such thing as a stupid question" does not seem to hold up here! :>)

So far, I haven't seen a picture that was up close enough to determine my opinion of its appearance. If you could upload something closeup I'd love to see it.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...ad.php?t=120419

Dan, try again, it worked fine a second ago, there are loads of pics (maybe page 2-3). No stupid questions

If it still doesnt work I will try to find a way to send you all the pics in the thread without reposting them
Old 07-22-2004, 01:16 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Matt, Just tried it and it worked fine...this time. Stupid work computers!

First, let me compliment you. Yours looks excellent. Contrary to my stupid comment that it might look crappy without the rolled edge, it looks great. I should have seen it before I made a snap comment like that. I also liked the one done by "Turbite" - well, sorta. Didn't much care for the single big opening, but I do like the mesh and finished black edge - however he did that. Probably could go looking aroundagood hardware store and find something that would work. Also, mounting the mesh via tape is strictly bush - though he admits as much.

I tried printing out the templates and they didn't come out quite right. Something about my printer settings. I will play with it and try again. On a little NA like mine, this is strictly a vantiy thing anyway. Do you know if anyone has a template for the 931 panel (I assume that's the 4 opening panel, right?) or if someone has the measurements so I could lay it out myself. I'd probably use a mesh approach too (without tape!) so the dimensions would not absolutely have to match the factory plastic vents...though it would be better. Thanks for any help. -Dan
Old 07-22-2004, 02:04 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan, I might (still a big might) have one soon. I have a 931 vented panel coming to be in the mail "anyday now...." If it doesn't arrive today, I may get one at PartsHeaven tomorrow (they have one -- just one -- in stock, but Porsche-o-phile called 'dibs' on it already), and be back to LA with it on Sunday. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:08 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tifosiman
..... I *think* that is becuase the 951 front end cools better due to the different construction of the bumper cover.
That's interesting, has anyone with an N/A put the turbo front on and noticed lower temps?
Old 07-22-2004, 02:10 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by s928s
On the n/a versions behind the header there is a plastic shield that diverts air from the bumper to the upper area of the radiator. When i installed my vented panel. I reinstalled the shield up side down so it routed the air through vent opening directly into the rad. and added a small alum support for reinforcement.

s928s, did you notice any change in engine temp after doing this?
Old 07-22-2004, 05:57 PM
s928s
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed a lower engine temp. The engine has a stock new porsche t-stat, new coolant temp sensor and a low temp fan switch. Drove it this am to work 15 min. local and then 10 min. highway . Temp barely got over first bar on gague. Use to be mid to the upper white mark. So i would say yes. The first 944 i did the turbo header to i did not see much difference, It was an "s". But i believe I never did anything with the inner shield. This time I modified the current shield to divert the air to the upper rad.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

JosephSC, Youre saying you might pick up a 931 vented nose panel soon and do what? Trace a template? or measure and provde the measurements to the board? or.....have one for sale (yeah, I didn't think so!) I'm hoping you will do one of thesethings. I won't be back on the bopard until probably MOnday or Tesday so I'll look up this thread if it falls behind. PM me if you want, I'll get it then. Thanks, Dan

Quick Reply: Question for 944 guys with Vented Nose Panels