Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittant No start - Help needed Pls.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 07:43 PM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Intermittant No start - Help needed Pls.

I'm having an intermittant problem that is confounding my diagnosis skills. The car is my away from home car near my customer 800 miles from home & I have minimal access to tools & parts...

Car is an 88 951 (non-S), mods are Guru chips, boost enhancer & an aftermarket alarm.

Drove car to parking lot, left it there 4 days, came back - failed to start. Found no spark at coil output...

Read up on Rennlist & clarks garage, suspected DME relay. Bridged terminals 30/87/87b, still no start, Tachometer flickers (so speed & reference center are OK?). Boost gauge is at 1 with ignition on.

after cranking for 60 seconds starts & stalls. Try again & again...finally starts & goes.

Drive for 30 miles - perfect.

This morning , starts fine, drives for 10 minutes, then cuts out completely, (there was still a tacho signal on coastdown with ignition on). Car stops, put back DME relay by-pass, still no-start.

Wait 10 minutes, fires then stalls, repeat twice. After 20 minutes, restarts & managed to drive to work.

It's as if something fails intermittantly & cuts the power to both the fuel pump & ignition. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA
Old 07-08-2004, 07:45 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi, Phil,

Probably a bad DME or KLR.

If you have driven the car with the jumper (in place of the DME relay), it removes the relay from the equation.

Also, there have been a lot of failures of the alarm control unit lately...

gb
Old 07-08-2004, 07:49 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok, dont know but mine has refused to start on occasion. The wires coming from the rear of the intake that go to the reference sensors have two plugs that are on a braket at the rear of the intake itself. Where they connect, i guess they get corroded etc. ... wiggle those two wires and see if it starts. Everytime mine does that, i wiggle the wires, and WHALA! it starts.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

XSBoost got it first! Yep- sounds like speed and ref sensors connections may be in need of attention.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like what happened to mine when my Speed sensor went to hell. It drove, but eventually it just crapped out and died after i parked it.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:37 AM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doesn't the fact that the tacho still pulses show that the crank sensors are working?
Old 07-09-2004, 08:20 AM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

That would make since, wouldn't it. So, while the car is not starting and you have no spark, how is everything else. Do you have pulse to your injectors? I usually start with cking both , so if either is working (spark or injection pulse) you know the speed & reference sensors are working fine. Just recently we ran into the dreaded broken solder joint in a DME. When you wiggle the DME plug the car would start. So, ck both and let us know what you find and we'll help you from there. Also when you ck for spark, ck it at the coil wire so if the rotor or cap are failing you won't get confused.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the wiggle doesn't work, try a slight tap on the plywood over the DME. That worked for me.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

George, Danto & Justin have it!! Cross posted from Turbo forum:

Originally posted by Danton
It could be the the DME itself has a soldering joint that has come loose. To check crank the car while gently hitting the wood that covers the DME and KLR units. If it starts you've found the problem.

Regards,
Danton
Danton, I think you have it

On Friday afternoon, wouldn't start again. Hit the plywood that the DME mounts to & she started straight away!! I've got a DME & KLR coming from Turbo Tim, once they are installed I'll take the one in the car apart & see if I can spot any bad joints.

Thanks all for your help - Rennlist Rules!
Old 07-12-2004, 03:11 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

if there is a problem with the ecu, I suggest looking at the points where the ignition driver attatches to the board. you will need to remove the cover and the bottom alum. plate also, the ign. driver is the quarter sized round unit mounted perpendicular to the board, there are three traces that connect the driver to the board, quite often, the solder joints on the back side of the board will crack. I have also seen cracks where the traces connect to the three pins coming out of the driver. If any of the connections look the least bit suspect, re-solder them all and see what happens. My preference would be to disassemble and fix your current ecu rather than replace it with an unknown unit.

Quick Reply: Intermittant No start - Help needed Pls.