Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad day - is this totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 01:31 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Jack and Adam Roberts. NADA list the low retail at 4875, much better than the 1000 at KBB.

Kevin, its the thought that counts, but Houston is a far piece.

And thanks for the optimism, Adam. I won't give up easy.

Dave, I'm not a PCA member "not a real Porsche" syndrome.

And George, yes it has a LSD tranny, a stock rear sway bar, and lots of stuff I replaced like seats I bought from a Rennlister and the IceShark upgrades.

And again thanks to everyone for the support and sympathy.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:18 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve,

The real question here is what would it cost you to get a similar car not only in condition but in maintenance. From your posts, this car was well sorted and up to date. It's obviously worth more than what you would get for it from an insurance claim.

My 83 has been totaled twice. First time a Land Rover rammed into the rear quarter, much like your accident, only it didn't involve the door jamb or door. Got a new quarter panel put in and was on my way.

A year later I got crushed by a huge tree branch. The insurance adjuster just sighed and told me they would give me retail value and let me keep the car so I could part it out, etc. I have pictures if it's any consolation. I've owned this car since 1994 and it had been so good to me that after saving my life I just couldn't bring myself to give it up.

I found a body shop that was good at working with sheet metal, not simply changing parts, as occurs with many body shops that are only willing to deal with insurance claims. They located a donor car and were able to transplant the necessary parts to my car, which involved welding in a new roof section, among other things.

It looks like your rear axle hasn't been affected, although you will most likely need rear wheel bearings if the car ever runs again. After fixing my 83 I've put at least another 40K miles on it and all the maintenance I had into it has paid off. Granted, it will never be perfect again, but that's not what I want it for anyway. I just love to drive it.

Whatever you do, don't let the insurance companies bully you around. It's your car, you've had it for a long time and if it's fixable at all you should have the chance to do it.

Best of luck with it. I may still have that quarter panel replacement bill somewhere if it's of any use to you, just let me know.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:24 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

DIBS ON THE LSD TRANSAXLE!!!

Sorry, my vulture-side is showing again. . .

In all seriousness though, if the insurance ***** are going to total it, I'd either part it or turn it into a race car. Salvage titles are worthless. IMO a vehicle with a salvage title is good for one of four things:

(1) Race car / track car (if you have the time to put into it)
(2) Parts car
(3) Scrap metal
(4) Boat anchor

Sorry to be so blunt and cold in your moment of sorrow - I really feel for you (I'd hate it if I ever lost mine, but I've gone over the scenarios in my head). In all seriousness though, if you decide to part it out, please let me (and the rest of us) know - it'll be living on through others, kind of like being an organ donor.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:56 AM
kyle robert moore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just my $.02 here but in 99 i had an old cutlass that has the door and rear glass knocked out of it when a moving truck drove through the community. the insurance adjuster said the car was totaled. i got teh necessary 2 or 3 estimates and found that maaco would put the glass in teh car for me for about 300 bucks. So i had a rather large scratch in the side big deal........they total the vehicle, give me the salvage title and money to boot. i sell this car to a kid i worked with who agtain totals the car while he is in the process of buying it from me......it was a deal where eh gave me 1500 cash and then paid me the remaning 500 on our next payday. i kept the title and insurance on it for the 2 weeks......well i got the settlement for it being totaled and the 500 dollars, he drove it with an odd color fender and dent in the door........all in all i got about 4k out of that car........

good luck.

oh your interior isnt brown is it????
Old 06-15-2004, 03:27 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Luis, I haven't had the heart to check the rear axle. The rim is bent so I expect you're right about the bearings. It must have taken a pretty good hit. It all happened so fast. But if the rear suspension is deformed, that would be serious. Thanks for the info.

P-O-P, I won't be racing it, so it's salvage title or parts. It just depends on how much damage I can reasonably repair. I would probably try to sell it as a parts car before I would part it out myself. Either way, if it comes to that, I'll post it here.

Kyle, thanks for the $.02
Old 06-15-2004, 11:34 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

My 951 is a salvage title and I've had absolutely no problems with the car (discounting jackass mechs!). If the car is salvageable, fix it and drive it. I know how much sentimental value can be. Sometimes it's worth more than a "hunk of metal." If you love it, fix it. You know the history of this car vs a new one. If you have to sink a little more $ into a vehicle, wouldn't it be better to do it to this one than an unknown replacement? Either way, good luck. This definitely sux
Old 06-15-2004, 07:46 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

To be honest Id be surprised if that damage isnt less than $6000. Might even be closer to 8. I was rear ended in my 92 GSR and while the back was wacked in, the estimates came to $7500 at the very lowest. Usually theres more damage you cannot see too. Fixing cars is ungodly expensive.

I have a cracking inside the tail near the bolts on the 930 from a tire that fell on it. Estimate is $2400 for a new tail, lip, paint, prep, shop materials, labor. If I didnt point it out to you, you might not even notice it, but theres no other way to fix it to as new condition w/o replacing the whole thing.

In my opinion any car under $15,000 is ripe for a totaling if you get in a moderate fender bender.

Id buy it back on salvage title and sell the parts. The cookies are worth $500. Engine $1000 maybe. Rest of car $2000 or more. Strip the sum bitch down to the last bolt and EBay it all at no reserve.

Some of these vulchars should be ashamed though. They are circling your car like a dead caribou carcus in your time of need.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:05 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

They will total it.

the LSD is worth quite a bit. As to a race car. Geo is right it will not be worth it if the b pillar is bent. If not then it just sheet metal and that can be fixed. If it had a nice weld in cage then it might be work fixing since the cage is worth more than the tub. Don't fret the rear suspension is bent. That can be replaced quite easily. You just want to make sure the tranny is good. Yep engine will be worth about $1000, Cookies are actualy worth $200 to 300. Standard tranny is probably $300 to 500, but a working LSD is probably worth $1000.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:19 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Michelle, thanks for your opinion. I don't guess I'd have a problem with a salvage title because if I do choose to fix it, I'll keep it for another 20 years.

And UDPride, you're probably right considering a body shop prices and the fact that insurance companies use 80% of replacement value for the total loss cutoff. Obviously, its easy to get way more in these cars than they're worth on the market.

Anyway, the other insurance company finally left me a message. I guess they want to talk to me before they send out an adjuster. I think I'm going to have to be outright mean about this.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:30 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Sorry for your loss...

I Freaking HATE insurance companies....

Happy to take your premium every month,,,,but when it comes to paying off,,whole other story. Then wait till they jack up your rates because you were in an accident. No matter that is was not your fault.

Tom R. just had a long ordeal with replacing a stolen car. Several threads about it. I've linked to the latest update.

Tom R.'s insurance dealings

Very good thread for advice to dealing with these SOB's.

Again, sorry for the bad luck, be sure and keep a lookout on the classifieds here on the board for a replacement.

<moment of silence>
Old 06-15-2004, 08:31 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

M758, the LSD transaxle is in really good shape. Shifts great, locks up tight. One of the cookie cutters got bent pretty bad. The engine is tight with no leaks, updated water pump, front seals less than a year old. I replaced the clutch, rear seal, ground the flywheel about six weeks ago. Hawk pads on the front, metalmasters on the back with calipers rebuilt last year and ss brake lines and new front wheel bearings. And I converted the AC to R134a last week. That 40 degree air was nice for a week.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:34 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Steve: good luck
Old 06-15-2004, 09:53 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

I'm getting in way late here, but as a 20 year collision and appraisal guy I wanted to help anyway. The damage is child's play from my perspective, possible suspension damage excepted. I could probably even repair a lot of the sheetmetal given the right amount of time and beer!

Of course if you price new parts it will total. Used parts should be plentiful and cheap. Guys like me will work with you on repairs, or perfect opportunity to learn collision repair yourself!! I'll tutor you over the Rennlist forum!!! You know you've always wanted to learn how!

Offer any way possible to work with the company to keep it from being totaled and skip the hassle of a branded title. If you can get them to give a decent figure for its value, offer to take the minimum amount you can to slide in just under a total. They should jump at that.

Think of it this way. You will get some money to fix it, and you will keep the car. You can NEVER hope to get back what you've put into it already. Since you love it, keep it! This is the best way to do it if you're in love!!

Yes... it's the same car!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:17 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, Mark.

James, I've printed the article for te adjuster.

John, thanks for the info. Can you tell me what to look for in terms of damage that would make it not worth while to repair? B pillar? Suspension?
Old 06-15-2004, 10:22 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve.......man, that hurts I'm SURE! I know its "just" a car... but if, by chance you really want to try and save this memorable car, I would like to help out some. I have an 1985/2 parts car that is stripped to a shell. It has a perfectly straight passenger side quarter panel on it that I have not removed from it yet. The whole side/door frame/post/rocker and all is in great shape. If you want it, let me know how much of it you desire (I can rough cut it out anywhere you desire), I'll crate it, and if you pay the shipping/freight cost ($200.00?), its yours to get your pride and joy back on the road again. I think I can even include that door shell complete also (its completely stripped, but skin is in great shape).

It would still be costly, and time consuming, but, sometimes that just doesn't matter ya know. Sorry to hear about your car! Let me know if interested, I don't think this shell is going anywhere, anytime soon.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Quick Reply: Bad day - is this totaled?