Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad day - is this totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004 | 06:49 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Steve, That is about the saddest picture I have seen...
Old 08-02-2004 | 06:56 PM
Promotion 951
Intermediate

Its really doesnot matter, what the insurance company says about the car , totaled or not as the owner if the title is in your hand , you still can have the car repaired, the insurance companys pays between 75 to 80% of the replacement cost to preform the repair...You can always settle with them ,keep the car and decide to repair it your self, or switch parts to another chasis if worse come to worse. At the end of the day it really all depends on you...
Old 08-03-2004 | 12:06 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Default Closure

Thanks, Ken and Roger, I was prepared to go to battle with the insurance company, but they suprised me with an offer that was more than I expected.

Silverbean and Promotion 951, the insurance company offered me a fair price, but wanted about half again what the wreck was really worth. In the end it was my decision to let them have the car, and the decision was based on strictly on financial factors.

Chris_924, yes it is a sad picture. Notice how the water was still beading up on the paint. The car still looked good. But, in fact, the picture adds closure to the matter. Sadly, no matter how hard you try, nothing lasts forever. I was lucky to have the car 18 years. Now I have to move on.

As all of you know, you can buy parts and keep these cars going for a long time. I found myself in a situation that I couldn't decide when to quit repairing the car and buy another. And I couldn't decide what I would choose for a replacement.

I finally came to the conclusion last year that I would replace the 944 in 3 years for personal reasons. The plan was to research a short list of cars and save money during that period. Then I'd know which used car I'd like to buy. That period would also give me time to let go of the 944. But the 3 year period got compressed into a 3 week period.

Anyway, I finally decided on a nice 2001 BMW 530i. It is a good car. It has plenty of power and handles nearly as well as the 944. For the BMW people, it has the sport and premium packages, HID angel eyes, 5 speed, and 17" cross-spoke wheels. It lacks the panache of the 944 and there are a bunch of them around here, but it's still a good car.

Maybe I'll buy a good 951 in a few years to play with.

Thanks again to everyone.

Quick Reply: Bad day - is this totaled?