Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bracket racing F-350 destroys RX-7

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 07:43 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

That truck is insane! Must have been pretty crazy to be there.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:23 PM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jaibeiber

air does heat up when you compress it, if you dont beleive me grab the pipe that leads to the compressor to the tank and tell me what you feel, have you ever taken any thermodynamics classes?? if you did then you would realize you are wrong, air will cool off when drop the pressure, unless you have a very lowe molecular mass, then it acctully heats up(feel the outlet of a hydrogen or helium tank)
Old 05-20-2004, 10:17 PM
jaibeiber
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that pipe is hot because the compressor is hot. the air coming out, both on the water relief valve at the bottom and the tools i work with is cold. now people what the hell is with attacking me, not everyone has a college education, i work with wood for a living. and from my end of it, we complain about how stupid engineers are because they cant design crap anymore. we have tools that are very old and still working, then we buy a new one and the thing works like a pile of crap. so the moral of the story is, i dont care about what formulas you know, until the air coming out of my compressor is hot i wont believe your formulas.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

It's cold coming out of your compressor because of the rapid expansion.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:30 PM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

jaibeiber

it is cold coming out of yout tank when you drop it from 120 psi to ~14.5 psi (atmospheric pressure) but its hot when its going from your compressor to the tank, grab the pipe leading from the compressor to the tank when its running and then tell me its still cold.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:40 PM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

jaibeiber

about your new tools that work like a pile of crap, its not the engineers, its the manufatures that use crap materials, they are using cheaper materials to make more money
Old 05-20-2004, 10:45 PM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

if you have taken chemistry in high school then you have learned the ideal gas equation, PV=nRT, where P= pressure, V= volume, n=moles of gas, R= gas constant, and T= temp. n and R are constants, they do not change and if you keep V constant and increace pressure, temp has to increase because they are proportional.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:15 PM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Ben Z.
2 turbos, this one has 3:
These are compound turbo set ups. That is why the pluming appears to be odd in configuration.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:42 PM
doze905
Advanced

jaibeiber
They are not attacking you, they are trying to help you if any thing and all of them are right, open your mind to new ideas and you wont be so offended.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:36 AM
jaibeiber
Pro

first off i took chemistry and all i remember is compreesed air being cold. second anything connected directly to the comppressor is going to be hot, for it is basicall like an engine minus the spark. thirdly if it wasnt an attack then they should not have asked if i took thermogeaoloagyphilisophyphysics. fourth its not the materials that suck on the new tools its the poor design. the parts arent breaking they just work like shi$ we have nail guns that get all clogged up and sometimes shoot two nails at a time. another thing is i am open to new ideas i just am saying from my experience, ,and dont get me wrong i may be a retard when it comes to alot of things, but to make me beleive compressed air is hot, without me actually experiencing it is kind of like black holes. there is a formula saying they exist but until i see one i dont beleive they exist..

now may we please end this and go back to the original purpose of the post. boy that truck was fast!
Old 05-21-2004, 12:50 AM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

That truck was fast...and compressed air is hot.

Admittedly, when you turn a can of Dust Off over and freeze somebody's ***, that's COLD compressed air. I imagine (and I ain't no thermogeaoloagyphilisophyphysicist) that it becomes cold because it is rapidly moving from a pressurized environment to normal atmospheric pressure.

DISCLAIMER: I was a PR major, so I could have it all wrong.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:06 AM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

well the dust off thing..

inside the can of dust off is a liquid (difloroethane its a compound that contains 2 carbons, 2 floruine, and 4 hydrogen) it is a liquid because liquid is more dense then air, that way they can get more product into the can. when you spray it the gas comes out, but when you turn it upside down the liquid will come out. the liquid has a boiling point of ~ -49C. it seems cold to the touch because it is taking energy from what its to boil and evaporate.

and jaibeiber
"anything connected directly to the comppressor is going to be hot, for it is basicall like an engine minus the spark"

a engine gets hot because the gas air mixture is exploding and transfering heat to the block, you air compressor is getting hot because the air is being compressed, heating up and transfering heat to the compressor

maybe this might help you..

when you compress a gas it requires energy, that energy is stored in a gas

now when you HEAT water on the stove you are adding energy to it and what does it do it gets hot

its sort of a fundamental thing when you add energy things get hotter
Old 05-21-2004, 07:09 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

That is one of the best drag racing vids I have ever seen!
Old 05-21-2004, 09:30 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Question - if a diesel engine seems to have so much power potential, why aren't they used more often?
Old 05-21-2004, 09:38 AM
TonD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are going to be more often, mark my words It's just, come on, Diesel...when you hear the word Diesel you think of a big old beige Volvo, no?

Lool at these babies...although they're just concepts...the black one is petrol enige, the red one is diesel...both equally fast and fun to drive...or so they say

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autosho...eugeot-rc.html

0-63 in less than 6 seconds, top speed of 145 MPH.
On a sidenote, the petrol engine delivers 200Nm of Torque, while the diesel does 400

Quick Reply: Bracket racing F-350 destroys RX-7