Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clickity-clack in hatch area...ahhhhh!!???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 10:10 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Checked the hatch shocks...they're fine. Nice and tight when closed. So they're not the culprit.

Must....find...rattle!
Old 05-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

andy, if you promise to let me out of the car once the rattle is found, on sunday i will climb in back while you drive.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:55 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Deal, Tom!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:22 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

try this before sunday if possible, fold the seat down and see if it is still there.

on the camaro the rear seatback is known to rattle at the latch. In the FAQ they say wrap a piece of electrical tape around the latch and that tightens it up enough to stop the rattle.

imagine if something from the mullet board could fix a porsche.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:38 PM
z3bra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

imagine if something from the mullet board could fix a porsche.
If this does work you do realize we'll have to kill you to ensure that word doesn't get out about it.

Old 05-21-2004, 08:42 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mullet help noted...but I tried the electric tape on the latch trick. It really sounds like it could be coming from the rear seat. I thought it was the belt retractors...etc.

My luck, when someone sits in the rear seat, the noise will stop until they leave!
Old 05-22-2004, 04:24 PM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by AndyK
Joe...Nice car! Was just in Chester last weekend...there's a cool ice cream parlor...forgot the name though.
Checking out the car show? Ironically I avoid the center of town most of the time. There's the DQ and one block down there's a hand made parlour too towards 206. I guess that's the one you're talking about.

Sounds like BS to me...deterioration of what?? Causing a rattle?? I'll let you know if it turns out to be the hatch struts.
Yeah, he said there is ceramic lining in the turbo downpipe that has separated from the metal and is rattling around in the exhaust. I was surprised by that, but on the other hand I did replace my hatch struts and that isn't it. Maybe I'll try some stripping at the top of the glass area.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:40 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Solved!!! Thanks to Tom R, I pulled the rear carpet away from the hatch, and put a t-shirt on top of the snaps, to seperate them from the male part of the snap.

Anyway, seems several of the carpet snaps are loose--and when snapped onto the hatch, make a rattling sound when the car vibrates down the road!! I guess the sound of 3 snaps all vibrating together sounded larger than they really were!

All I have to do is figure out how to tighten the snaps when they're closed, and my rattle problem is history!! Any ideas?

Thanks for the crazy idea Tom!
Old 05-24-2004, 10:46 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And you heard that!!! Whatsa matter, your folks didn't let you go to concerts when you were a kid?

No way I would have ever noticed!
Old 05-24-2004, 11:04 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

It was loud Dave!! And annoying as hell...Tom heard it. And if I don't have to hear it anymore, I'll be a happy guy!
Old 05-25-2004, 10:18 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

if it was a steady rattling i could probably live with it. but it was unpredictable.

but then again, i didnt notice how loud the mullet currently is, and almost never drive without the radio on.

andy tapped the carpet by the snaps while i pressed on different snaps. the noise went on and off as i pressed on the snaps. his car is very tight, and i would probably be annoyed too if that was the only thing wrong with an otherwise perfect car.

im also probably a little deaf from all the concerts i went to as a kid, and still go to living 25 minutes from jones beach, where scalpers starve when i come to town.

Andy, get a tube of silicone sealer. put a dab on each snap maybe between the snap and the carpet. that should absorb it, and cost next to nothing. plus you have the sealant for the next project.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:28 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was thinking sillicone sealer!
Very satisfying driving without the snap noise! You said it in your first post to this thread, but I dismissed you as a a kook (well, you still are)! You were right though!

And thanks for the Corgi!! As soon as you left, Jenna was talking up a storm! Kids are funny!
Old 05-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Dave
Race Car

Glad you found it, don't forget that I've gotten used to the sound of my track pads so I must have a pretty high noise threshold (or more hearing loss than I thought). OTOH, hearing loss has it's upside, Maria ALWAYS hears Joe before I do in the middle of the night!
Back in my boating days we used to put a little petroleum jelly in each snap on the boat's canvas, kept 'em working nice in the salty envionment. I wouldn't be suprised if that would dampen the movement in this case, might be worth a try.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:38 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Vasoline? I can see how fun it would be to get a flat, AND get grease all over my hands just in time to drop the jack on my foot....!

silicone it will be, deaf man! Or should I say, Duff-man!?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Dave
Race Car

You don't need to use much Andy, I managed to take that flybridge cover off and put it back on a few hundred times without getting any on me! You just use a q-tip to spread a little inside the snap (carpet side in this case).
I also have a tube of food grade lube that I use for the rubber seals on my kegs if you wanna try it!

Quick Reply: Clickity-clack in hatch area...ahhhhh!!???