Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas smell...could it be this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 10:33 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Gas smell...could it be this thing?

I was checking my spare tire situation, when I noticed a felt patch glued to the hatch floor, under the foam/carpet . I lifted it, and found a plastic lid stuck to the felt. Must have discovered the fuel lines coming from the gas tank? Boy, it smells from gas pretty bad.

Is it normal to lift that cap and smell gas, or might there be a leak or something? I notice the cabin smells a little from gas when sitting in the garage overnight...do I have a problem, or is this another "feature" the 944s have??
Old 05-18-2004, 10:53 PM
MartinT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy

I get a gas smell when the tank is near full. Do you get this all the time or just after a fill-up.

Why don't I carry my digital cam with me, keep meanning to snap a pic of the fuel filler and check with you guys on here if the rubber boot/seal looks like it's in place write.

Another reason to carry my camera, was so I could have snapped the pic of the Lambo Gallardo, sitting outside a golf club in my area.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:54 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Most of the time Martin. I replaced the hatch and door seals...and sometimes it's fine. But then there are times it has a distinct smell of gas. And not right after fill up...my tank is half empty.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by AndyK
my tank is half empty.

pessimist
Old 05-18-2004, 11:01 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, I'm an optomist--the guage reads 1/4!!
Old 05-18-2004, 11:08 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

i get gas smell if i fill full. did you guys check if there is gas trailing out your cap? if the o ring is bad gas comes out of there. believe me. my cap must be bad i filled once, went down a real windy road..... got out cuz i smelt gas.. saw streaks down my rear fender from the cap area....
Old 05-19-2004, 02:45 AM
atinybug
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

andy: that thing u discovered is the sensor for how much fuel u have left. it might be not sealed properly or something. oh yea, and if u clean that sensor (there's a write-up in clark's garage) ur fuel gauge will read accurately
Old 05-19-2004, 07:28 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ah. That sensor! I actually think my guage itself is the problem. When I bash on the dash over the instrument cluster, the gas guage reads true for a minute, then falls back to the wrong lower reading. Must be the guage contacts at the cluster...right?
Old 05-19-2004, 08:05 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the battery is disconnected prior to working on anything electrical near the gas tank...

My seal on my filler neck is cracked, but obviously still sealing - I dont get any (and never have) any fuel smell in the cabin.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:11 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll check the seal...but isn't that outside the cabin, between the fender and the open air?
Old 05-19-2004, 09:56 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Andy, BTDT.

My S2 had this problem and it was driving me crazy because I couldn't figure out what was causing the fuel smell. It's a fuel line from the tank. The rubber is worn and leaking. Your fuel mileage probably isn't very good, either, right?

Couldn't tell you exactly which, because my father has the car in Europe and I was overseas when he had it fixed, but I remember he had to order a fuel line from Germany.

In tracking this down, I personally replaced the charcoal emissions canister inside the driver side fender, with no improvement.

Good luck with it.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:59 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fuel line, eh? Is this an expensive repair? No way I'M gonna mess with fuel lines myself!

Also, I am getting lame gas milage...around 20mpg I think, maybe even less. Is the fuel just leaking out and spilling in the street as I drive, or what?
Old 05-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Pretty much, yes. We had it repaired by a shop, but I remember the part was special ordered because the dealer didn't have it. The car's performance improved somewhat, also, because of the better fuel pressure from the new line.

My S2 had around 138K when it was finally replaced, and my father's fuel bills dropped considerably.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Schlicten
If there was a fuel line leak even small would the decreese in fuel pressure cause the motor to stumble or hesitate?
And it did, although sporadically, getting worse as the fuel line degraded.

If you look at my sig, I also own a 1983 944 and am familiar with what you're referring to. That's more of a tank ventilation problem. The issue with the S2 was a fuel line and the degree that the smell is noticeable depends on how badly the fuel line is leaking. In my car, it would smell after the car had sat overnight.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:38 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Andy and Martin
I bought an 86 a few months ago and have just got it running. I took it on its first trip Sunday, and when I filled up the inside of the car smelled like gas. After driving a while I did not notice the smell. Yesterday I looked for the problem. I opened the hatch and popped the little plugs that hold the carpeted panel on the right side, just below the hatch. When you pull the carpet back you will find a couple of plastic hoses that go from the gas fill line to somewhere. The big white plastic hose plugs into another line between the hatch and cubby hole. Mine had come unplugged and I reattached them. I hope this is where the smell is coming from but have not refilled to find out.

Last edited by Charlie; 05-19-2004 at 09:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Gas smell...could it be this thing?