Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas smell...could it be this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 02:14 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've isolated the smell to the passenger side cubby hole. Now, what's this about plastic hoses being attatched or not?? Details please!?
Old 05-20-2004, 03:50 PM
BAN968
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem in my 87" 944s and now with my 968. On both cars it turned out to be the hose that connects to the overflow vent behind the gas fill door .
If you open the gas filler door you will see a small rubber grommet with a metal tube inside. I guess this is for overflow if you fill too much. Anyway, that runs to the inside behind the carpet on the passenger side. It feeds into a "Y" that is also a drain for the sun roof. On mine the black rubber drain from the gas overflow had a split and caused a smell when full or near full. It runs into the "Y" and the smell carries up to the sunroof drain so the whole car smelled. I disconnected it from the "Y" and capped the "Y" on one arm with a small rubber plug so the sunroof would still drain. I capped the gas overflow metal drain tube with another and now the smell is gone. You could also run a seperate rubber drain hose for the overflow down to the bottom of the cubby space and out through one of the holes.

Best of luck
Old 05-20-2004, 03:57 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm a little confused. Can you see this overflow tube from inside the cubby hole? I only see one tube coming from the gas cap area, going down into the floor. The sunroof drain hose is above it, running along the floor of the hatch (I think).
Old 05-20-2004, 05:16 PM
BAN968
Advanced

On mine the white hose running down from the gas filler area to the cubby area is the drain from the sunroof. The gas overflow hose connects to a "Y" up under the side carpet. You need to unsnap the side carpet and you should see it.

I just did the repair last Saturday it took about 15 min.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:55 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you remove the hose, and inspect it to see the crack, or what? Where was the crack?

I'm hoping mine is the same, and I can lose the gas smell ASAP!
Old 05-20-2004, 06:06 PM
BAN968
Advanced

It was cracked where it went into the "Y" fitting. It looked like it just dried out and split at the end. It didn't leak. I think the vapors in the gas cap area out side the car go down that overflow tube into the cabin and are supposed to vent out the bottom of the cubby area. I just plugged the drain overflow to eliminate any venting and it was easier than trying to get to the metal tube up under the fender from the inside. Besides the pumps here in Calif never let you overfill. They always cut off early. I also replaced the gas cap. Some of the guys here and over on 968.net mentioned that a leaky cap could also contribute to the smell if it wasn't air tight. Mine leaked on the smog test so I just got a new one.

No smell anymore. I still get a little once in awhile when the tank is full and I'm racing around on curvy mountain roads on a hot day, but for normal day-to-day the smell is gone.

Good luck . . .
Old 05-21-2004, 04:22 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

The smell on mine is around the rear cubby hole so sounds like this is the culprit, although peering inside there is only one pipe in the cubby which is a white one, I do not have a sunroof in the CS so it must be this which is the filler drain. I'll look again tomorrow morning when I've got more time.

Mike
Old 05-21-2004, 04:25 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I checked the area today, and it smells from gas big time! Are these fumes directly from the gas tank?

I tried to see if that Y connector was broken, but couldn't see it, unless it's a black foam thingy? Not much room in there to mess around.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:56 PM
BAN968
Advanced

Run your hand up that white hose in the passenger rear cubby. You have to reach up under the window pillar and you should hit the "Y" fitting. At least that is the configuration on my 968.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:00 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

What am I looking for...a crack, or a loose tube? Did you pull the tube out and put a plug in it's place? Better yet, can I just put a plug in at the gas filler opening?? Will that stop the fumes?
Old 05-21-2004, 05:04 PM
BAN968
Advanced

Yes. If you run your hand all the way up the hose it will connect to the overflow metal tube. Open the the gas fill door. You will see a drain plug just in front of the gas cap. The hose in the cubby runs up to that. I pulled the hose off the metal tube and capped the metal tube with a small rubber plug. Pulled the other end off the "Y" can capped the "Y".
Old 05-21-2004, 05:08 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

What kind of stupid design is this?? I would rather have gas pour down my rear fender than have fumes in the cabin caused by the drain/tubes!?
Old 05-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by AndyK
What kind of stupid design is this?? I would rather have gas pour down my rear fender than have fumes in the cabin caused by the drain/tubes!?
Not really a stupid design, provided the hose is in good condition.

I wouldn't plug the filler drain, just fix what needs to be fixed.

You're looking for either a cracked Y connector, which should be available at most autoparts stores, or a new section of tubing, ditto.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:38 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why would fumes be coming through the bad Y connector? The hose isn't attatched to the inside of the tank...it goes to the outside of the filler cap...where it doesn't smell from gas?

Where are the fumes coming from?
Old 05-21-2004, 05:55 PM
BAN968
Advanced

Can't comment on the "bad design" but when I was going through the receipts from the PO I found he had taken it into the dealership twice in the 3rd year of owning it brand new for "gas smells".

Another fix is to move out here to California (San Jose) where the price this morning for 91 oct was $2.75 (No that is not a typo). Now I only fill the tank up half way.

Take care and best of luck . . .

Quick Reply: Gas smell...could it be this thing?