Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IceShark's Light Cannons (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005 | 10:09 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Danno
How about retrofitting the entire light assembly from another car? Like the BMWs have round HID lights, can't we take the entire thing including the brackets and adjusting mechanism? We can even grab the ring driving lamps too...
Danno, this is the project that never comes to fruition as people figure out what all is involved. Stealing the lights and balasts off someone's car may make it a bit more cost effective but then you are a criminal. (Insurance companies are paying a lot of claims for stolen HID lights.)

The best shot would be using the Hella HID lenses but you will soar over $1000 pretty quick when you add in the hardware and fabrication.

It really is a tough problem as the market is so small for 7" rounds. Sylvania, a pretty major manufacturer with tons of resourses and knowledge, tried to make 7" round HIDs, Xenarc. It depends on which insider you hear the story from but it failed, totally. They farmed the production out to a cheap manufacturer and the lights were not much better than sealed beam halogens and word spread. I think they started out charging $800 or $900 for a pair. Everything came together and Sylvania shut the door. I think the manufacturer got rights to still market the lenses so be warned if you come across them. Definately garbage.
Old 02-20-2005 | 12:53 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Ok, sounded too good to be true. I hadn't noticed that HID price didn't include the proper lenses as well.

So nevermind the HIDs, I'll be looking for some light cannons when I get the 951.
Old 02-20-2005 | 03:05 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Dan G.,

Yeah, going with my light cannons is the best approach for now. I looked at HID alternatives several times and it never made sense when everything was said and done. And I can get the HID product wholesale.

I see in your signature you are looking for 968 castor blocks. Zims has them new for 50 bucks a pop. I'm getting some as I messed up my alignment when I did the motor mounts and I'm running 17" wheels. Only want to do alignment once.
Old 02-20-2005 | 03:17 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

I usually only look at Pelican, Paragon, and Vertex, I'm going to have to start checking Zims as well.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-06-2005 | 11:45 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Ok, I don't want to get into trouble here, but I have to build some more headlight kits as 968 owners want them and I will build for them. I don't know how many I'll do, probably 25. This doesn't compete with anyone else's upgrades so we shouldn't have a problem there, I hope. I know a few guys have alternate lighting projects going on but they are for lights in the bumper, dual lights in the mains, drooped mains, etc.

I will probably be ready end of September for shipping.

I would like to reiterate These are not a fashion statement type kit like the other projects and no sponsor has the wiring harness or anything close to it anyway So no competition. This is just something that actually works if you want to stay Plain Jane but get much better lighting.

Simple as that.
Old 08-06-2005 | 03:53 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Dan
Is it going to be possible to get a kit or just the parts needed to run the euro
driving lights ? I'd like to tie them into the light kit I have and have them turn on with the high beams.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2005 | 04:44 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Tim,

The lighting kit I'm talking about is the main headlights. It is not really a "kit" as you know as the harness is fully built and is basically plug and play.

For the euro driving/fog lights I'm just providing guys & gals with the parts so they can piggyback off me on my main order and actually get the quality parts, which can be hard. That is a true DIY deal. You get the wire, relays and bases, terminals, etc. I'll include some instructions on what you need to do, but you are on your own after that. and you will have to stop by the local fully stocked hardware store for some of the terminals as I don't use them. But Know you need them. I think I have 8 extra relay bases left - that is key choke point. I know one guy has been waiting since last Christmas or Thanksgiving for his bases. He will be happy when they show up next week.

Of The 25 headlight harnesses I plan on building, 10 are already gone to the 968 crowd. A few more to 944/51 owners. It will probably be sold out by the time it is completed.
Old 08-06-2005 | 05:49 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Dan
I'm hopeing the guy you refer to is me. I've been asking about the parts to run
my driving lights since installing your batt cable kit and headlight kit last november.
If I'm on a list great! If not can I be added?
BTW ,I'm very happy with the light kit. It's amazing how much more light they put out than the stock setup.

Thanks again
Old 08-06-2005 | 06:47 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IceShark
Tim,

The lighting kit I'm talking about is the main headlights. It is not really a "kit" as you know as the harness is fully built and is basically plug and play.

For the euro driving/fog lights I'm just providing guys & gals with the parts so they can piggyback off me on my main order and actually get the quality parts, which can be hard. That is a true DIY deal. You get the wire, relays and bases, terminals, etc. I'll include some instructions on what you need to do, but you are on your own after that. and you will have to stop by the local fully stocked hardware store for some of the terminals as I don't use them. But Know you need them. I think I have 8 extra relay bases left - that is key choke point. I know one guy has been waiting since last Christmas or Thanksgiving for his bases. He will be happy when they show up next week.

Of The 25 headlight harnesses I plan on building, 10 are already gone to the 968 crowd. A few more to 944/51 owners. It will probably be sold out by the time it is completed.
When are you taking deposits? I still really want the full deal, main lights and parts for the eruos!
Old 08-06-2005 | 07:11 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Yes, Tim,

You are already down on the list. It is a nightmare keepig track of everyone with strange screen names, different forums and such. Unless someone uses their true name I've got to search through about 6 lists and try and figure out who they are and whatnot. The current battery cable build is coming up on 10.000 hits. A lot of those people are just emailing me, since I put that in there. It is a basic overlosd of data.

I've yon for a relay and base, 20' of #10 in white, 5' of same in brown and 16' in white for the triggetr wire..

Don't worry. Confirm that is correct and you will get the package when I order the wire. God, I need a vacation!
Old 08-06-2005 | 10:34 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Dan
Thanks, I understand.
That sounds correct.
If you want I"ll e-mail you direct .

Thanks again.
Tim Connors
Old 08-07-2005 | 11:29 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Tim, yes email me at wraydan@msn.com so I have you there. My Rennlist box is pages long and I need to purge most of it.

I have your relay and base on hand. I think I will pick up the wire next week when I complete my headlight package bill of materials order so I will know what that ended up costing and let you know. Sort of afraid what that will be when looking at spot prices for copper and oil. Oil is crazy as I'm sure you figured out when you went to the local gas station and copper takes a lot of energy to smelt and ship around.
Old 08-07-2005 | 01:05 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Dan
Will do.
We live in an Oil economy and everything from food , clothes, cars,houses will
be effected by the rise in oil prices. Hopefully wire hasn't gone up that much yet.
Old 08-21-2005 | 04:19 AM
RK951
Rennlist Member

could someone post a picture of what this headlight looks like after its installed, ie a picture of the front of the car taken during daylight with the headlight up?
Old 08-21-2005 | 09:29 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

7up

They look stock. You can't tell.

Quick Reply: IceShark's Light Cannons (pics)