Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IceShark's Light Cannons (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Adam H
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While we're sort of on the subject, does anybody know which supplier charges the least for Euro fog/driving lenses?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

My kit is sitting on my garage floor I will take pics when I get home tonight before I put them in the car.

I am draining the coolant tonight so that I can pull the alternator tonight and install the voltage regulator and wiring.

It is alot harder to install the kit on a turbo because you have to pull the alternator. Well worth it in the long run.

Torsion bars are next
Old 01-10-2005, 04:22 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam H
While we're sort of on the subject, does anybody know which supplier charges the least for Euro fog/driving lenses?
Look at the back ad section of the car mags. If you can get them for $125 each you are in the sweet spot and as good as you will get. That is without bulbs. Which is probably just as well as the bulbs they sell are poor. Also, don't buy the offered wiring package for the driving light. It is junk. You only want to wire these once so may as well do it right.

Kool, there were several pictures of the kit on Rennlist but I think John D. purged all of them. May as well post another set and I will capture the pictures for further use. I still haven't bought a digital camera as the features keep increasing and price dropping. One day I have to finally get off the dime.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Adam H
Pro

$125 sounds good, but I don't have any car magazines. Hmm. As for the wiring, I bought some stuff from you. It's waiting, along with headlight and battery kits, for my car to arrive.

I would dig my stuff out of a box and post some pictures, but unfortunately I don't have a card reader at home. Just another thing to take care of. . .
Old 01-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Adam.. when are you going to get one anyway.. Haven't found anything worthy yet?
Old 01-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Adam H
Pro

If all goes well, I will have this baby before the weekend is out. I'm so excited!
Old 01-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

!!! Nice!

Think sometime in the spring we could meet up and I could take a spin to feel what a turbo's like? I promise I won't slide it around like at the GTG!
Old 01-10-2005, 11:52 PM
Adam H
Pro

Definitely - We could organize something for the Southern New Englanders.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:22 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Adam, go over to Barnes and Nobel to check out the mags.

Sam L. and I are also looking at some all weather fog light bulbs. What we decide on would be good for your fog side. Then some 100 watt in the driving side. You will be all set with that.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:58 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mcavour
I also want to know how much for these kits!!! Hmmm, so if I decide to get a Corrado instead of another 944 can I get a kit for the Corrado too??? Seriously, the Corrado's lighting also sucks!!! I would be the first to market this mod to CCA and CCC, and all of the other Corrado Clubs!!!
For the 924/44 series they are $384.50 with the shipping and an extra set of 100/90 watt bulbs.

The big problem on other cars is the headlight lenses. The wiring harness will usually fit just fine and I know some are being salvaged for other duty. That is why I made the runs with some extra slack.

First off, the harness will help any car due to less voltage drop. On a halogen bulb 15% drop in voltage means 50% drop in light output. It is a 3.4 cube change. The other way around is if you can eliminate the 15% drop you get a 100% increase in light. With new bulbs and wiring it is common to get over a 400% increase in light output from the 944 series.

Other cars that have an aerodynamic composite DOT lens ..... well you have a problem. Better wiring will help. But if you have a DOT lens in plastic, you are sort of screwed after that. You probably can't run overwatt bulbs due to the DOT beam pattern and you may melt your cheap plastic lenses with the heat.

I'm trying to find some E-Code lenses for a Rennlister's wife and her Nissan Pathfinder. I'm two weeks into the inquiry and nothing yet.

Sort of funny having a "PathFinder" and you can't see where you are going. Guess this is part of the Helen Keller option package. Go forward until you bump into something or fall off a cliff.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:18 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Ice Shark, what do you think of the HID systems out so far? Vertex sells them...

Just curious, as I'd figure you'd be interested in them as a "competitor". The kit starts at $360, which compares to yours almost 1 to 1 (although I'm sure yours has some very nice features that a kit like this leaves out).

What's your opinion?
Old 02-19-2005, 06:33 PM
MoonBoy
Pro

Don't proper HID setups need reflectors made specifically to the car?
Old 02-19-2005, 09:05 PM
special tool
Banned

Iceshark - they (Nissan) get worse by the day, too.

I'll have to send you the picture of the full boat kit with the Cadmium Euro lenses - its insane!
Old 02-19-2005, 09:48 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DanG
Ice Shark, what do you think of the HID systems out so far? Vertex sells them...

Just curious, as I'd figure you'd be interested in them as a "competitor". The kit starts at $360, which compares to yours almost 1 to 1 (although I'm sure yours has some very nice features that a kit like this leaves out).

What's your opinion?

Those are the retrofit scam jobs. It drives the reputable bulb manufacturers crazy as they are afraid they will get dragged into a lawsuit. But they can't figure out how to totally shut down the supply line. Those may be out of Asia where people do anything including selling their 10 year old daughters into the sex slave trade.

As MoonBoy notes you need lenses designed for an arc (HID) light source. Of course the lenses are missing in the Vertex kit. This scam has been going on for at least 5 years.

As far as competition, those aren't as they are pretty poor. Even proper original equipment HID arcs in the Bimmers and Benzes have a tough time keeping up with the IceShark package. And that opinion is not me saying it, that is from other guys that have lined them up nose to nose.

HID arc would be great for our cars as you get less electrical draw and longer bulb life. But no one makes them unless you want to get into body work. Put down your $1000 deposit and hold your breath on the final price. I looked into this and tossed it out as it was too expensive for the results achieved.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:28 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about retrofitting the entire light assembly from another car? Like the BMWs have round HID lights, can't we take the entire thing including the brackets and adjusting mechanism? We can even grab the ring driving lamps too...

Quick Reply: IceShark's Light Cannons (pics)