Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Start part 2: Electric Boogaloo

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2023 | 08:56 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

I would call ECU Doctors aka Specialized ECU Repair
Phone (954) 652-1496
Text (786) 655-4239
They can test your DME and if a problem can make the repairs or offer an upgraded DME.
One contact is Jorge Morales

Last edited by T&T Racing; 04-28-2023 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2023 | 09:40 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

I know it's been a long haul but good to hear you are working again. I recall early on some suspected ECU issues. I'd agree with Tom that you ought to swing back around and get that ruled out. It's something you could ship out and have it done while you are working. They can also confirm that you have the right ECU for your VIN.
I used to be really good at ordering parts when I was working out of town
Old 06-14-2023 | 01:07 AM
calebPH
Advanced

Originally Posted by harveyf
I know it's been a long haul but good to hear you are working again. I recall early on some suspected ECU issues. I'd agree with Tom that you ought to swing back around and get that ruled out. It's something you could ship out and have it done while you are working. They can also confirm that you have the right ECU for your VIN.
I used to be really good at ordering parts when I was working out of town
I’M BACK. I listened to this advice and just ordered a whole new ECU from ECU Doctors. It arrived 2 weeks ago and then I had a surprise massive family tragedy that I had to fly across the country for 2 weeks for! Today, I got back home and the first thing I did when I walked through the door was grab the ECU box. I ran to the 944, threw that sucker onto the harness and wouldn’t you know it… the damn thing was running. Not only was it running, but the throttle is working perfectly. Idle is good and strong. The only thing bothering me now is that there’s suddenly loud squeak coming from I assume the water pump, even though the timing is pretty much perfect. It’s been sitting for a long time, so I’m gonna recheck the timing tomorrow. Make sure it’s not too tight. Cannot fathom doing another valve replacement right now lol. I’m pretty sure the water pump has just gotten squeaky from not running for so long and if I ran it for a while it’d probably go away. Gonna check on that tomorrow, but THAT, I can handle. I’m hoping that this never ending nightmare thread has finally come to a close.

To whoever might read this in the future: if you’re having bad starting issues and nothing else obvious is working… consider swapping in a known good DME computer, just for fun!
Old 06-14-2023 | 09:33 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Caleb, sorry to hear about your family but happy to hear about the 944.
The ECU is tough. They should always be on ones short list of items that might be causing problems but they are just pricey enough that you tend to push them down on the list of possible problem areas.
Post a video of your squeek if you can.
Old 06-14-2023 | 03:54 PM
Chalt
Pro

Glad to hear about your car running. I am sorry for your loss.
Old 06-17-2023 | 09:01 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

calePH,
Sorry to hear about your family emergency and happy to know another pleased customer of ECU DOCTORS. They bailed me out twice and are the best.

Quick Reply: No Start part 2: Electric Boogaloo