Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No radiators available anywhere- since when?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 12:58 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No radiators available anywhere- since when?

Hi guys,

I’m in need of a new radiator (‘87 NA) and much to my surprise there are no OEM style radiators(not interested in all-aluminum ones) available anywhere that I can find. One dealer said no ETA is known and to check back in 4-6 weeks.

Anyone know how long this has been going on?

Old 11-16-2022, 04:17 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis A.
Hi guys,

I’m in need of a new radiator (‘87 NA) and much to my surprise there are no OEM style radiators(not interested in all-aluminum ones) available anywhere that I can find. One dealer said no ETA is known and to check back in 4-6 weeks.

It looks like Pelican has one @ $540.
Old 11-16-2022, 07:37 AM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 155 Posts

You may want to talk with Steve at 944Online. They typically carry them...
Old 11-16-2022, 09:28 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tempest411
It looks like Pelican has one @ $540.
Not in stock.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:37 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfarah7
You may want to talk with Steve at 944Online. They typically carry them...
He is also out of stock but a note on his radiator page answers my question. It says: "As of today 08/29/2022 I am out of stock they are on back order from all my sources".

So this has been going on for a while and no estimated availability date yet. Wow.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:45 AM
whalenlg
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I found a returned unit at vertex last spring. I believe 944online had some at the time.
In the last couple of weeks there was a new one for a 944 turbo for sale on Craigslist in sfbay area. It looks to have disappeared but you might check back to see if it reappears.
The following users liked this post:
Luis A. (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 10:05 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 329 Posts

Purely speculation on my part but something I see in dealing with my Jag Etype. Some parts are only made by one source and they may only do a production run once or twice a year. Let's face it, the demand for Porsche 944 radiators may only be a few hundred per year, if that. Especially if you are talking about folks willing to pay a premium for an original spec one.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:56 AM
mrmustang
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi guys,

While you are waiting for replacements to become available, have you considered sending yours out for repair? I ask as I had a leak in the top tank of one of my vintage Shelbys during the height of Covid, and no replacements were to be had anywhere, and I do mean anywhere. While speaking with a good friend, he posed the same question I just did, lo and behold, within a week, I had the radiator out, repaired, and swapped back in........

With that said, a quick Google search in and around your area (based on your profile location) comes up with HDR in Menomonee Falls, why not give them a call.

Hope my thinking outside the box helps.

Bill S.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:06 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrmustang
While you are waiting for replacements to become available, have you considered sending yours out for repair? I ask as I had a leak in the top tank of one of my vintage Shelbys during the height of Covid, and no replacements were to be had anywhere, and I do mean anywhere. While speaking with a good friend, he posed the same question I just did, lo and behold, within a week, I had the radiator out, repaired, and swapped back in........

With that said, a quick Google search in and around your area (based on your profile location) comes up with HDR in Menomonee Falls, why not give them a call.

Hope my thinking outside the box helps.

Bill S.
Thanks Bill. Funny enough, HDR is where I have been several times for repair of other classic radiators. You should see the stuff in there Radiators the size of a queen bed...
I'm in no rush since the driving season is over. I may give them a call and see if this is something they work with.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:16 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Hi guys,

What is the issue with your radiator?
Old 11-16-2022, 11:29 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Plyhammer has a listing for a rad. https://plyhammersparts.com/search?q=radiator+
Old 11-16-2022, 11:42 AM
boom10ful
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Ran into this same issue a few months ago and ended up buying the Wizard cooling radiator. Zero problems with fitment and was able to reuse the stock radiator fans. The cost was about the same as a new OEM plastic radiator.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:12 PM
mrmustang
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Bill. Funny enough, HDR is where I have been several times for repair of other classic radiators. You should see the stuff in there Radiators the size of a queen bed...
I'm in no rush since the driving season is over. I may give them a call and see if this is something they work with.
It's rare to actually find a shop willing to work on them, a true form of dying art. Where I was in the northern, NJ area, there were dozens in a 30 minute ride. Here in the south, I have one that actually still does the work in house, about a dozen others that offer a drop off service that I'm certain, all use the same out of state company to do their work. Sad, but still true.

Bill S.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:24 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 657 Likes on 510 Posts

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...hroud-kit.html
Old 11-16-2022, 06:55 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by curtisr
Plyhammer has a listing for a rad. https://plyhammersparts.com/search?q=radiator+
Not a bad price as far as used rads go but unwilling to risk in short order being in the same place I am now.

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
What is the issue with your radiator?
Small leak between left side tank and core

Originally Posted by boom10ful
Ran into this same issue a few months ago and ended up buying the Wizard cooling radiator. Zero problems with fitment and was able to reuse the stock radiator fans. The cost was about the same as a new OEM plastic radiator.
Both the Wizard and the CSF look well made and reasonable alternatives pricewise. I like to stay with an OEM look for my classic cars where it makes sense and is possible. Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll be considering them along with OEM.

Quick Reply: No radiators available anywhere- since when?