Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Light and Fog Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 04:24 PM
Gasngo
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Head Light and Fog Upgrades

Well slowly getting from point A to B so I have read and theres various opinions but who like what for head lights and fogs. I live in the country do night driving and live animals. Im familiar with the H4 set up and I read the E spec units are good fit. My fogs are not in very good order fit and finish wise Im going to pull things apart and investigate. But no doubt I need brighter lights. I have seen note regarding the light/relay harness up grade which does not offend me I agree old wiring is probably a factor. Anyways thoughts and input is welcome.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:11 PM
huskeric
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey buddy...
I upgraded to LED lights sold by Only944, though may believe they are out of stock at the moment.
Terrific upgrade and nice, white lights.

https://only944.com/partscatalog/only/ledheadlight/

As for fogs, the best solution is a set of new/good used OEM fogs. As with everything else, they are pricey.
A set of new bulbs could also assist.

And yes, the upgraded wiring harness (search ICESHARK harness) works well. Though they are no longer sold through him, I believe there is a compatible set on Ebay.

Last edited by huskeric; 07-09-2022 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:08 PM
Gasngo
Racer

Man I have looked at thread after thread on LED stuff and what have you. No real conclusion on my end. I was looking at the H4 options and I think you just solved my problem. I was entertaining this but looks like the LED option would be better.
https://www.classiceuroparts.com/pro...rsche-924-944/ My original fogs are there just need some attention. I ran a short errand a while ago and the temp outside was 105 pretty brutal. Ill go open the shop and let it ari out then play around with the fogs.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:34 PM
DrewM
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

The expensive LED option is the Holly retrobright lights - https://www.holley.com/brands/holley...nd_headlights/

Performance is great, they come in an OE color temp and look OE as well.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:26 PM
Gasngo
Racer

Ok while on the subject theres a left and rt fog lamp Left being driver Etc. The wide side if you will is towards the center of the car which makes the lamp Assm. aim outward or at least thats what it look like to me. So want to confirm actual position.

Edit 1Top center of lens denotes left and rt.
Edit 2 Switch works rt bulb not connected left is inop Ill look further. Rt side knurled nut pulled out of back housing and backside screws missing plus not attached to the L bracket at all. This was not done by the PO I would like to think. I have some comments on this based on the title but Im not sure if it step on toes of a big middle man sales company. Just food for thought but Ill get all this in order on my end reports in the morning. Oh ya still upper 90s in the shop at 10 oclock. PM

Last edited by Gasngo; 07-10-2022 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Figured it out.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:52 AM
Gasngo
Racer

Let me ask a ? are the Sylvania H3 silverstar halogens worth the 26 bucks for a brighter white light than the standard. Both 55 watt range I would not be offended shelling out 30$ for a pair and find out I dont think they are any better. I could order and save money but I really want to button up this are on the car. Comments welcome.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:58 PM
Gasngo
Racer

You guys are killing me.
Old 07-10-2022, 05:50 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

For clear night driving using the fogs is the last thing you want to do unless you are going pretty slow.
Fog lights put light close to the car which makes your eyes focus there, not further out where the deer is waiting for you.
Improve the headlights and find some further-reaching driving lights instead.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:57 PM
Gasngo
Racer

Logical I just figured while I have things apart. You will notice my repair thread lets see how goes got distracted a minute ago. Funny thing all the reading I did I came across fogs on while high beams are on and state to state legal issues what a farse. That being said one comment I read from a thread a while back the guy took the car for a safety inspection I assume and was told they needed to be disconnected. They did and charged him for it. One wire on each side of my car was disconnected where has this car been.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:37 PM
GrantM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will really like the LED upgrade. I have a set from SuperbrightLEDs, I made this change about 6-7 years ago, they don't have the bulbs anymore. I wrote a post here about it.
Old 07-16-2022, 11:45 PM
Gasngo
Racer

Grant sorry for he late reply are you talking LED for the head lights. No doubt they need help. As for the fogs I dont disagree with V2 but I have a 4 mile stretch of Rd the has a 7ft deer proof fence on one side and the other hodge podge sadly. So once they cant get there from here they go the other way. The road itself is less that 50 Ft wide and the underbrush is prevalent. So any low level light just to give me some sort of advanced warning is welcome.
The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (07-25-2022)

Quick Reply: Head Light and Fog Upgrades