Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad day (but could have been worse)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 07:09 AM
Macca4
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad day (but could have been worse)

Hey guys, you wouldn't have seen many posts from me but I have spent a lot of reading time on Rennlist, unfortunately though my 944 ownership has come to an end. This happened about a month ago now. My car had just been completely serviced, new clutch, flywheel was machined, new gear stick, the works, $3,000 worth, it was running like a brand new car and I was loving it.
Exactly one week after picking up my precious car I woke to a very loud crashing noise and ran outside with the rest of my family to investigate. A 4wd had driven straight out of the driveway across the road and straight over the top of my car... not exactly something you expect to wake up to on a Saturday morning. The very good news is that everyone was fine, fortunately there was no one in my car and the driver of the 4wd only had a bump to the head.
My car is a complete write off but it could have been much worse.
I've attached the pics below, it was a very nice car

Oh yeah, one more thing... my Dad's '85 944 was in the garage at the time, a pristene example of a 944 with 70,000kms on the clock, if I hadn't adjusted my car at the bottom of the driveway the night before and left the wheels turned, chances are my car would have slammed through the door and into his, rather than turning into the wall slightly beside the garage.

I've decided to hold off my porsche ownersip for now and put all my funds towards buying my first apartment, my Dad and I have just put a deposit on a silver 350z track which we will hopefully be collecting next week. He's leasing it but I will be able to drive it which will give me an opportunity to save some cash. After spending around $10g on the 944 in the 2 years that I was driving it, the 6yr warranty of a 350z was just too tempting.
I will however, never own a car like my 944s2 cab, I loved every minute I spent driving it and I will miss it, but the situation could have been much worse, I'm sitting here typing this post, which I'm not entirely sure I would have been if I'd been in my car at the time!!!
I didn't make a lot of posts as a rennlist member but many of your posts were a great help to me and I thank you

I'll let you all know how the 350z goes.

Thanks!!!
Craig.

P.S. I've had problems posting images in the past so if I screw this up I apologize

[IMG]
Old 04-29-2004, 07:10 AM
Macca4
Track Day

http://members.optusnet.com.au/craig.../Photo0376.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-29-2004, 07:10 AM
Macca4
Track Day

Old 04-29-2004, 07:33 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ouch, that sucks man! sorry to see that your leaving the community for now anyway
Old 04-29-2004, 07:37 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to be pretty damn stupid to be able to back your 4x4 over someone elses car like that. Any word on how much youre going to to from the insurance?

Sucks to hear
Old 04-29-2004, 07:48 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

umm sorry you mustve missed something.. he didnt back it over.. he drove fowards from across the steet.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:52 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

How in God's name does something like that happen?
Old 04-29-2004, 07:55 AM
Macca4
Track Day

Still don't know what exactly happened, looks like they hit the accelerator rather than the brake. Still waiting to hear from insurance...
Old 04-29-2004, 08:55 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

What the hell?! That thing had to be going at a decent rate of speed in order to climb over your car like that. I know that I have accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake before, but this person would have had to keep their foot on the gas for several seconds. Strange.

I assume that you showed restraint and did not beat the person over the head with a ball bat, since you are not in jail and posting this on here. Unless prisons down there have DSL ports in the cells........

I'm sorry to see those pics, I'm glad no one was hurt.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:06 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm amazed at how the car looks like it's still pretty straight in the last pic. The A-pillars don't look like they moved and the suv was right on top of them.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:06 AM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only have one question..... How the hell do you drive over someones car?
Old 04-29-2004, 09:20 AM
rwodabek
Racer

Is the car really a write off? It looks like it could be repaired. Unless there's frame damage.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:34 AM
antne1950
Intermediate

Angry

Was the SUV driver on drugs or what?
Damn, get your local "Johnnie Cochran" on the phone,
immediately!. From the photos it appears the car
was in your driveway no less.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really doesn't look that bad, I would have just pushed the SUV off (onto it's side) and driven the car to the body shop. I'm interested to hear what the insurance company says. I had a truck back over my front end a few years ago and the insurance company told me they were going to write it off, seems the damage was around $3500 and that's all they were offering for the write-off. After I laughed at them and gave them my numbers (~$8000, and I was able to back it up) they decided to fix the car. Of course the transmission locked up the next day! Turned out the trans housing was cracked and I'd been losing lube, my wrench and I, of course, blamed the crack on the accident and submitted it to the insurance company. The ins. co. told me a new trans from Porsche would cost >$10,000 so I was back to a write off. I collected ~$7700 on it, bought it back for $500, had the body done for $3200, bought a used trans and had it installed and with the leftover cash I bought my Fuchs and a set of tires. I had a couple minor dings in the front right fender and some pretty badly faded paint on the left so my car ended up better than it had been plus new wheels and tires.

Moral of the story: sometimes these things happen for the best but be prepared to fight the insurance company if you want to get what's right!
BTW, (moral #2) none of the above showed up on carfax after 2 years. Just because the report comes back clean, it doesn't mean the car was never written off.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That is indeed the beginning of a bad day- ouch.
Looks like some aftermath from Burnout2 on X-box..

"Nice landing, he really stuck that - I give it a 9.75"

Quick Reply: Bad day (but could have been worse)