Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should Airbop sell Campeck's 944
Yes, sell the car. He screwed up!!!
38.03%
No, give him another chance!!
46.48%
I dont know.
15.49%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

campeck's car.. should he be able to keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe a choice would be in order. The beating of your life with a belt or selling the car.
Good ole' capital punishment to the rescue.

"The Passion of the Campeck"
Old 04-07-2004, 03:48 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

From what I see (not much just buy posts and how I see how a dad would buy his son that kinda car and trust him and work on him with it) I doubt aribop would do that!

but I'd gladly take the beating of my life for that car!

LOL Passion of the campeck..
Old 04-07-2004, 05:04 PM
83 TX 944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let his dad decide. I whacked a cement mail box at 15 with only a learners permit. I was legal since an 18 yr old was riding shotgun. 70mph, station wagon, nice bender to the left. Lost control, and the right rear smacked the center of the mail box. A few more spins and I took out the neighbors cement light fixture at the walk way up to the house. The first impact sent one passenger sailing across 2 driveways. He had to get several stitches in his head, and his **** was raw. I was really lucky I didn't kill someone. I learned my lesson, and deserved every bit of punishment. I wasn't able to get my own car until I was 21, whether I bought it or not. Good luck Campeck.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:45 PM
jaibeiber
Pro

of course its his dads decision. however on the flipside of being in an accident what if when he was gone there was a drive by or his house blew up. things happen for a reason. maybe his dad has a trick under his sleeve. maybe after selling it and he gets his liscense, his dad will come home with a 968 turbo S.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You could be a smart *** and just refuse any other things purchased for or given to you. Go get a job and work for everything you need. Clothes, food, school stuff... all of it. That will show your dad. Just wait until he finds out he cannot give you anything and on top of that... he doesn't have to pay for your stuff!!!!

But seriously. My first car was a little S-10 pickup. I paid for it myself and proceeded to trash it. It was just my personality back then, running over construction barricades and getting stuck in the mud while swerving to hit portapoties (a cop pulled me out that time). very much like a lot of the AMAF stories.
I know if I had a porsche back then that it would be just one more pile of crap right now. The S-10 actually survived my 3 years of driving it. I sold it for $500 and it threw a rod 3 weeks later. The guy didn't put any oil in it even though I told him like 3 times that it leaked and needed to be filled once a week.
Anyway, what I am getting at is maybe selling the Porsche for now is a good thing. Maybe a lesser car to start out with will be best. Something that you don't have to worry about your immature friends keying at some party. (happened to my S-10, I didn't notice for 2 weeks). Every kid has to have a beater. It's like a rule or something.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were Ashton, I'd rather my old man whipped my *** till it bled than loose a car I put so much effort into.

Maybe selling it is the best punishment.

Besides, it leaves the door open for a Turrrrrrrbo!

PS - never tell a father how to raise his kids!
Old 04-07-2004, 06:20 PM
oi-punx
Racer

The situation is unfortunate and I won't begin to comment on punishment as you aren't my kid. I will, however say that there is a silver lining to your dark cloud. You got to work on a car (a cool one at that) with your father; the bonding experience i'm sure you will never forget. In my opinion that cannot be replaced while your car can.

When I was your age (late 80's/early 90's) my father had left the family and I was stuck doing his job for my mom and brothers. On a good month I had enough money left over to afford a bus pass.

Best of luck to you
Old 04-07-2004, 06:27 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Is his dad a member of rennlist?
Old 04-07-2004, 06:34 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes he is.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:56 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

His dad is doing the right thing, hands down. He gave him an opportunity to have an unbelievable car at such a young age, and the kid blew it. I had to drive my parent's cars when i was in high school, and those consisted of a minivan and a chevy cavalier. Today parent's don't disipline their kids, and they get away with anything and turn out to be lazy and unmotivated in life. This will be one of the best lessons his dad can give him, and i guarantee that when he grows up and has his own kids, that he will do the same thing. He will thank his dad in the future, when he grows up and see how other kids who were not disciplined turn out. My dad would have done the same thing. Well.....that and weekends of hard labor
Old 04-07-2004, 07:01 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh would all you guys say give him another chance if he had taken the car out and killed someone due to his inexperience driving? Or himself for that matter? Kids are young and stupid at that age, and i am guessing he didn't drive 30 miles at 5 miles under the speed limit either. Because the chance of that happening was there. And i don't want to hear any 16 or 17yo come back and say that you know how to drive at that age, because you don't I am sure there are exceptions with some professional race drivers, but not the typical person.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:08 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Heck getting a Porsche when you are 14 is huge Privildge. I got mine when I was 16. It was 924S. I was VERY carefull driving the car because I wanted to show my father I was worth of it.

Driving for 30 miles without a license does NOT show good judgement. If dad does NOT step in now what will happen later. This is good he is drawing a line in the sand and said no you are not up to the responsiblity.

Maybe this will change, but sometime you must learn from life's little challenges. Heck it is only a car and I can be replaced.

Seems strong punishment, but fair to me.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:34 PM
Ethan
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Karl2bdc
His dad is doing the right thing, hands down. He gave him an opportunity to have an unbelievable car at such a young age, and the kid blew it. I had to drive my parent's cars when i was in high school, and those consisted of a minivan and a chevy cavalier. Today parent's don't disipline their kids, and they get away with anything and turn out to be lazy and unmotivated in life. This will be one of the best lessons his dad can give him, and i guarantee that when he grows up and has his own kids, that he will do the same thing. He will thank his dad in the future, when he grows up and see how other kids who were not disciplined turn out. My dad would have done the same thing. Well.....that and weekends of hard labor
I couldn't agree with you more Karl. I guess my father took away the temptation for me before I had the opportunity to screw up. I had my heart set on my grandfather giving me his 1968 Camaro that he bought new when I turned 16. I can't tell you how much time of my childhood I spent sitting in that red 327 Camaro. Well one day when I was about 14 or 15 it was gone, thanks to my dad. He told my grandfather to sell it, and explained to me, "it goes too fast and stops too slow." Boy was I pissed! But, now I'm 22, and driving my hard earned 944, and agree my dad made the right choice. I'm sure I would have done something pretty stupid things in that Camaro. I think this is one of those lessons that life teaches us that can't be learned in school.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

I can see how he would love to drive it but he made a mistake. Karl2bdc i agree with you 100%. I hate to see the guy lose his car, but its a hard lesson that will pay of in the future. When i was 15-16 my parents bought me a mountain bike, never got a car and my friends had cars. Now that i am married and have a son, I look back and can appreciate what my parents did for me. Sure they could have bought me something but it would have been to easy for me just to get a car without a job. Anyway, i hate to see the guy lose his car but hopefully he will learn a valuable lesson. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Wrecksimple03
Addict
Rennlist Member

why is it that un licensed rennlisters have a RIP line in their sig? Campeck, wreckedsimple...
that just implies some of our classmates dont have the handleing of a 944

Quick Reply: campeck's car.. should he be able to keep it?