Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should Airbop sell Campeck's 944
Yes, sell the car. He screwed up!!!
38.03%
No, give him another chance!!
46.48%
I dont know.
15.49%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

campeck's car.. should he be able to keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 11:00 PM
jjguitarranch

Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of this should be determined by the family. I feel bad about the situation and thought I would chime in.

Campeck made a big mistake and put his family and others lives in jeopardy. What if he got into an accident and hurt himself or killed a family in a minivan. It will take a long time for him to regain his fathers trust.

Imagine your father getting you a Porsche prior to getting a license. Obviously his father is pretty cool and must be very upset.

I remember the post when his father surprised him with the 951 rear valence.

Here is an option. Let him bid on it. Assuming he is the highest bidder he can have the car back when he finishes paying his father back and/or gets straight A's on his report card or some other benchmark determined by his father. The license should at least be withheld for a period.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:28 PM
Greg86andahalf
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my take-
It's not about the car, it's about trust, judgement and respecting the law.

If it were my kid, I'd keep the car, pull the tags and insurance and mothball it in storage. I would make my kid wait untill he (or she) was 18 years old untill I allowed them to obtain their driver's license. Then we would re-visit the whole car thing again at that time.

It's important, in my opinion for parents to set a standard for their kids and draw the line somewhere. This is serious stuff.

Greg
Old 04-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Wrecksimple03
that just implies some of our classmates dont have the handleing of a 944

mine implies that a friend of mine died of leukemia...Jan/14
Old 04-08-2004, 12:36 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

A couple of weeks ago my 16 y/o son and I went to my Mom's when she had cancer surgery. He asked to drive my 944 with a friend to a certain location that I knew was in that small town.

Somehow he wound up 5 miles out of town, came to a blind 90' turn and left skid marks going in and coming out of the turn and went through 2 bar ditches and a cornfield.

He wasn't hurt and thankfully the car was still driveable (500 miles from home).

Hard to be sympathetic when someone does what he damn well pleases regardless of what they've been specifically been told.

Responsibility is learned not taught, sometimes the hard way
Old 04-08-2004, 03:05 PM
volv4life
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i just left behind being a teenager and i can say i think what your dad did may have been a little harsh, but also.. that your crazy, i can see my parents doing the same exact thing to me with any of there cars if i was unlicensed.... pulling the car into the garage was the only priveledge i ever got when i was unlicensed. whatever your dad decides im sure its in your best interest.. my advice, get a job, and save... ask your dad if he can cancel the auction and attempt to buy the car from him when you have enough cash.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jp944
Maybe we should add a fourth choice to the poll: It's none of our business. That gets my vote.
Amen. Gets mine as well.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:15 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

I think selling the car is way too harsh of a punishment.

Especially since it seems that restoring the car was a bonding experience between him and his dad...I just looked at all the pics of the restoration.

I would think maybe grounding him from the car should be sufficient...especially since he'll think about what he did MORE if the car is still sitting there in the driveway.

But if the car is sold...out of sight, out of mind. No reason to make good on what he did if there's no more car to drive.

Besides, selling the car isn't exacly tit for tat. I think maybe dad needs a few extra bucks for the S2 and this is his excuse. lol!

And let's no forget all the hours they spent cleaning it up...they will most certainly lose money selling it.

Let him keep the car. I'll even go so far as to suggest taking Campeck out to an empty parking lot to let him get the urge out every week or two. Don't punish him because he's got driving in his soul.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Two years on a skateboard will give him plenty of time to consider the consequences of his actions.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:37 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Wow dude...I'm glad you aren't MY dad!

Unfortunately, here in southern California, 2 years of no car also means 2 years of not being able to get to school, not being able to get to work, etc. It's like the song says. "Nobody walks in L.A."

Regardless...if dad didn't want him driving it, why was the car purchased before he was old enough to drive? That ain't Camps fault that the temptation was there!
Old 04-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Geo
Amen. Gets mine as well.

I was amazed at how many "its none of our business but.... here is my opinion" post that were put in this thread.
The truth is, it is none of our business but... I dont care. I mad a few off the wall comments in this thread but I don't think I made a stance one way or the other. What should be done is what Airbop wants to do.
On the subject of first cars and the such , this is what I think.
I think everyone should buy and pay for there own car. If they are given one then they are lucky. I know my kids will buy there first cars. At the very least I will let them buy a car with a blown motor and we will rebuild it together. It can save them some money and let them learn about how there car works from the inside out.
Back to Campeck's problem. Below might be a workable solution.
Now if Campeck was to go out and buy a trashed 944 with the money he saved from mowing lawns, I am sure his Dad would have no problem helping him build HIS car from the ground up. I may be wrong but from the little bit of information I have seen on this subject coming from the source, it seems like that may work. Besides that , I think the days of Airbop buying Campeck a car are over. Now he has to work a little for it.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Greg86andahalf

It's important, in my opinion for parents to set a standard for their kids and draw the line somewhere. This is serious stuff.

Greg
Serious stuff? Get a grip, man.

I did the same thing when I was a kid, and I'll bet many others did too. What's the matter with you kids these days!

Buncha wusses.

Street racing is a lot more serious, and I don't hear many of you guys getting all exercised about that.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:46 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HEY anyone else notice bidding has ended for this item.. and it looks like its been canceled..... Yay campeck?
Old 04-08-2004, 11:01 PM
Pronounced "Pore-Sha"
Track Day

They were never really serious about selling. He was just playing around to set an example. You guys really fell for it, huh?
Old 04-08-2004, 11:01 PM
Pronounced "Pore-Sha"
Track Day

They were never really serious about selling. He was just playing around to set an example. You guys really fell for it, huh?
Old 04-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow... 17 posts and you nailed it. I'm, like, so Totally impressed about how well you know Albert and what he would or wouldn't do.

Damn, sell the 968 and invest the money in a clue, you need one.

Quick Reply: campeck's car.. should he be able to keep it?