Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should Airbop sell Campeck's 944
Yes, sell the car. He screwed up!!!
38.03%
No, give him another chance!!
46.48%
I dont know.
15.49%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

campeck's car.. should he be able to keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 01:27 AM
jp944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe we should add a fourth choice to the poll: It's none of our business. That gets my vote.

It would be nice to help out a fellow Rennlister, but they are both listers. Undermine the father's authority or pass judgement without *all* the facts. The only way to win this game is not to play.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:36 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I'm assuming that the car was insured, so the liability comes with Campeck not having his license. The insurance would cover the damage to the car(s) involved if there was an accident. The problem would come if the person wanted to sue his father.
Yeah, that's a pretty big mistake man. But I'm a pretty forgiving person, so if were your father I might do the same thing, and make you think I'm going to sell it, but I wouldn't go through with the transaction. I think that would be a good lesson. You breached your dad's trust, Campeck, that's not cool.
Man, you must not have much longer to wait until your license...don't do anything stupid and blow this! Hopefully you haven't already.
I do hope you get to keep the car, and you still get to build it with your dad. If you play your cards right, you still have your car at the end of this.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:19 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

he ****ed up plain and simple. should he be punished.. damn right. what should that punishment be? thats not our business, nor our decision. we should stay out of this.

if i were his father? i would do one of two things
1) sell the car

2) keep the car for myself, not let him have it until he is 18, or until he can prove that he is responsible enough which no matter what he did, wouldnt come for at least a year.. like a year with out any tickets.. even crummy parking tickets.. none.. that he can take care of a car; ie wash, clean, no dents scratches anything on his car he woudl have instead of the 944... that he gets good grades.. that he has a job and is paying for his car insurance etc.. of coourse he would have to prove this to me for a year with out ****ing up.

its a tough lesson to learn. but it would be in his best interest.

(campeck.. youre a great kid, and i like ya so dont take this the wrong way.. im just big on disapline, and thats what i wuld do in your pops situation. the more disapline the stronger you are, and the stronger you are, the farther you will go in life, and grow as a person).

again.. hes not my son (and thank god hes not, cause i would have killed him). so its not our business.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:24 AM
Wrecksimple03
Addict
Rennlist Member

i feel for ya man....but c'mon....its not too hard, should have expected the consequences
Old 04-07-2004, 02:33 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

My dad and I purchased my 87 924S under similar circumstances -- no driving until he said I could -- and I was 17 at the time! We're talking 5 months here guys. I was only permitted to drive the car if he (or my mom) was in the passenger's seat. Period. No questions asked. And I respected this, and abided it. I did not break his trust and my reward was a glorious first drive out by myself (went to pick up my friend) Christmas eve (we bought it in July!!) and my dad's trust (even more important).

It's up to him and his dad. If nothing else, I'm sure this will teach Campeck to respect what his dad says and not break his trust again.

Hope it works out the best way it can.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:48 AM
Wrecksimple03
Addict
Rennlist Member

ive been on my permit for 6 monthes, ive got another 6 to go until i get my licence and a further more 6 monthes after that until i can drive my 944...thats my deal with my dad. for my own 944 i can wait
Old 04-07-2004, 02:51 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Just as an interesing note.
When I was 15, my mom sent me from my neighbors house less than a mile away from ours, in the neighborhood, to get something at home. Guess how close I came to taking out a HUGE brick mailbox in that minivan while I was screwing with the radio? That would have sucked. That is why you play by the rules.

Hope you stick around rennlist anyway
Old 04-07-2004, 02:57 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

why is it that un licensed rennlisters have a RIP line in their sig? Campeck, wreckedsimple...
Old 04-07-2004, 05:37 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my dads Volvo 740 Turbo out a few times when I was 16 and stopped after one having it sideways on a gravel road with trees on both sides. I was a few inches away from wrecking the car.

So I drove it home very slowly and parked it. Didn't touch the car until I got my learners permit.

My mom was surprised of how well i drove.. Hehe..

Campbeck screwed up but his dad is doing the only thing that is right in this situation. And like Matt has in his signature - What is right is not always popular.

He could've been in the situation where his son had died in an accident.

Cars are dangerous stuff.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:25 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

None of our business.

However, you broke the rules (apparently) and therefore the punishment is decided by the parent not the list.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Eyal 951
why is it that un licensed rennlisters have a RIP line in their sig? Campeck, wreckedsimple...
Interesting point... I have a 16 yo son (not yet licensed to drive)living with me and there is NO WAY he would touch my car. If it were HIS car there may be a temptation, but I really doubt it. He has learned to respect the reasons why these driving rules exist around this house.

I had a similar talk with him about drivers and experiences, and why I havent had any accidents in over 20 years. It's not luck.

When I was 17, 4 of my friends died in a single car rollover. It's a lethal combination of inexperience, immaturity, stupidity and short attention span. (They were changing the radio station while driving and goofing off, not looking in the direction they are heading. This was WAY before anyone thought about changing a CD, lighting a cig, talking on a cell whatever else our instant gratification young drivers do while on the road. )
Rolled a Jeep at 35 Mph and killed all 4 of them. What a waste. I learned that one person touches many lives. and 4 teenagers touched several hundreds of lives. It only hurts the ones you leave behind. and it hurts them as long as they live. It's even worse should you survive and injure or take the life of another while behind the wheel.

Being careful is good, but experience and control is paramount to staying alive- there are a lot of very poor drivers on the road out there, and you won't be able to predict what the hell they are going to do. YOU have to respect being in control of the equivalent of a 3000 pound shotgun at 150 feet per second.

...and you can't buy experience with that.

I "borrowed" my brother's 911T when I was 25, had insurance, and a valid driver's license and I STILL feel guilt about it. I also, was trying to impress someone else.(Good old fashioned Catholic upbringing.. guilt is not an option, it's a birthright.) and I finally admitted it to him a few years ago. It didnt matter to him anymore, but if I had totalled it back then I can assure you it would have mattered still today.

It was a stupid move then, and still a stupid move now.

My dad DID sell a car he had given to my brother very quickly for similar reasons (It was a 56 Nash- so noone really minded anyways...)
I have always paid for my own vehicle- so I understood the responsibility and maturity it took to behave in it. I had to wait until I was in my 30's to be able to afford my first Porsche. no Instant gratification here.
I wont be so bold as to presume the kind of relationship Campeck has with his dad, only my experiences with my dad, and with my son and driving- I hope this sheds a little light. True, nothing got hurt but feelings. the only damage was to a father and son's trust with each other.

But, I generally assume on this board that we are all experienced drivers who can go as fast as they can go safely- without harming themselves or others. regardless of age. All I gotta say is- This crosses the line.

I didnt vote at all. Draw any conclusion you will. Hopefully younger drivers will heed some of my advice and learn from my experiences. Please make wise decisions and drive safely and legally.

The life you save maybe someone else's.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:50 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Campeck,

I feel for you, especially after the hours of dedication and time put into the car...

But, I have to respect your father's decision. It is still his car at this time, and it's his iperogative to do what he wishes with the car.

Sorry to say that you will have to live with his decision. On the bright side, you are not too far away from getting your license.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. and I was wondering were wrecksimple had gotten off to.
but now....I need to cleeaan this house...
Old 04-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the best punishment is keep the car and don't let him drive it. Have his father drive it every day, and have him watch all the hard work he put into it drive away every morning =)

I think it's pretty harsh to sell the car over that, although I am not trying to under-emphasize the seriousness of the situation.
There are too many unlicensed drivers in this city (Calgary) and we don't need them anywhere else either.
But still...
Keep the car, let him have another chance in a few years, make him drive an 85 subaru gl wagon, that will make him really appreciate the 944.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I was 15 I took my partially completed project Dodge Challenger down the street to the circle at the end and turned around. Got 2/3 around the circle and nailed a parked car because of my inexperience. I went home and hid in the house. A neighbor came and knocked on my door saying I needed to tell the other neighbor that I hit his car. One really bad day and I didnt drive it again until I had my license. Thats how I had to learn my lesson. The temptation was really high and I went for it and paid immediately. Luckily I had reasonable neighbors that didnt call the police. Everyone has to learn their lessons somehow.

Quick Reply: campeck's car.. should he be able to keep it?