Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having trouble with the seller of a 951 in OHIO

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 09:50 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Having trouble with the seller of a 951 in OHIO

I am having trouble with a seller of a 951 in Cincinnati not communicating about returning my deposit.
I had found a 951 on autotrader .

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ED&cardist=500

I called the seller who gave a good description of the car and said that the only thing wrong with the car was that the sunroof did not work but that he had a parts car he would pull the parts off of to fix. It fit my parameters and I told him I was interested. He informed me that he had someone locally coming to look at the car. I asked if he would take a deposit to hold the car pending a PPI. He replied that he would and I specifically asked if the deposit was refundable if the car did not check out via the PPI. He said YES the deposit was refundable. Last Wednesday he took it to Northland Porsche and I paid for a PPI. The PPI came back and it filled an entire sheet of things wrong. The AC did not work which he said it did. The bat wing was missing and the power steering pump hose was bent as if someone had run over something. The deal breaker for me was that it had been repainted from blue to red. I called him Wednesday night and told him i would give him an answer in the morning but I was leaning toward no. Thursday morning I called and got no answer so I emailed him saying that I was going to pass on the car as there were too many things wrong and the repaint for me was enough that I did not want the car. I gave him bank wire instructions to return my deposit and that is the last I have heard from the man. He will not answer his phone or emails sent. I called Northland Porsche today to ask if they knew anything about him and the service manger said "he hangs around and talks to the mechanics but he is not a friend of ours." He had said he was good friends with the entire service department. Also he was in there today so he isn't traveling or anything that would take him away from home. So Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this matter? I have the mans phone number and address. So I know where he lives as it were. I am unsure how to proceed. Any Lawyers on the board that could tell me what can be done in this situation?

IPSC
Old 03-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, man... a liar in the middle of the pulsing heart of rennlist-territory...

This guy is a GONER!

Micah
Old 03-29-2004, 10:00 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this guy a Rennlister? If so, what's his name?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:02 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

I don't believe he is a lister. He didn't seem to know about the list.

IPSC
Old 03-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So it's only been a couple of days. Keep calling. if nothing by the end of the week, talk to some of the mechanics at the dealership.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:34 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 206 Likes on 134 Posts

I think he picked the wrong area to try to **** off a 944 fan. Can you imagine if a dozen 944s pull up on his lawn and want details of the transaction? Yikes.. This car sounds like the one another guy was looking at.. is it the same respray?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:39 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Could you imagine if it was closer to 944 fest and god-only-knows-how many 944's (and a few 924's and a 912) pulled up?

How much of a deposit did you put on the car?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:41 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

the deposit he set was $1000.00 transferred via bank wire. I have his bank account information as well.

A quick update. I called a bit ago, someone on the other end answered and said nothing. I said hello and then whoever was on the other end hung up on me and now when I try and call back I don't even get the answering machine. I think we are entering the realm of a problem here.

IPSC

Last edited by IPSC; 03-29-2004 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:42 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Pm me with this jerk's name, number, and address. There are 7 or 8 of us die hard Rennlisters within spittin' distance of Cinci. In fact there is a PCA gathering there on April 6th. I don't care much for liars or theives.
If he doesn't respond to you in a few days we'll pay him a visit.

You may want to send a link to this thread to Tifosiman, Chris_924s, nine-44, xsboost90, Wade B, Sean McManus, Dales944, and UDPride.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:51 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I just sent everyone here a link to this.

We'll help get your money back.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:54 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

944 pete pm on it's way to you

IPSC
Old 03-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't go nuts just yet, stop and look at your options.

First off, there is the issue of wire fruad, which I believe is a Federal crime.
Second, you have his name, address and phone number.

My recommendation: Get an attorney and press charges, and do it QUICKLY before he heads for the hills.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:02 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

if you get no action from him.
file a complaint, online, with the FBI's Internet fraud unit. It will trigger a response with the attorney general of the seller's state, and compel him to respond to your complaint. they will persisit in contacting him by mail and copy you on the correspondance. You will get you money back.
i've been through the process on an internet sale in the past, it took about three months to get my money back.
hope that helps.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:04 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I got no answer on the home phone but I left a message on his cell.

Keep trying, I will too.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:06 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Heck all I want to do is talk to the man and ask him when he is going to return my deposit. The fact that he will not answer any phone call or email sent gives me cause for concern. I could understand it if he say had to go out of town but Like I said when I called Northland Porsche the service manager said that I had just missed him, he was in "hanging out talking to one of the mechanics." If ya got time to hang out at a Porsche dealership then ya got time to answer a phone call. At least that is my take on it. Am I off in my thought process here? I realize it has only been three business days but I had the wire transfer done and to him two hours after I got off of the phone after we spoke and agreed to go that far. With the way this has gone so far I smell a rat.

IPSC

In the immortal words of Jack "YOU JUST F&*KED WITH THE WRONG MARINE!!!"

Quick Reply: Having trouble with the seller of a 951 in OHIO