Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having trouble with the seller of a 951 in OHIO

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 08:55 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy all, this is a letter that I am going to fire off to the cat with my money. Sanity check this please see if I have overstated anything.

Mr. Leonard
Today is the 30th of March. On the 25th of March I informed you via email (because I was not able to reach you at either of the provided phone numbers) that I did not wish to purchase your car due to the fact it had been repainted a different color. In addition the general condition of the car was less than your estimation as proved by the PPI done at North Land Porsche. You stated that the Air-conditioning was working. It was not. The list of faults with the car was an entire page long. While condition may be a subjective thing, in this case I decided it was not the car for me. In the email I provided you the necessary information to return my deposit via bank wire, which I sent to you in good faith to hold the car. You have not returned my deposit and I have had no contact whatsoever from you. In fact your continued avoidance of my phone calls and emails is nothing less than cowardly sir. To hide behind silence proves to me that you know you are wrong in this mater. If you somehow feel that you are entitled to this deposit call me or write to me and we can discuss this.
At this time sir I am asking you to make contact, either by telephone or if you do not wish to speak to me then by email. If I do not hear from you by Monday morning 0900 hours EST, I will take action against you sir. Said action will be first a complaint, which I will file with the Ohio State Attorney Generals office. Then I will file a complaint with the Federal Bureau of Investigations Internet crime unit. It will be investigated under wire fraud and the fact that it crossed state lines and is over $550.00 will constitute a felony. And if you believe that it will fall into the category of too small an amount to be investigated I will make it known to a friend of mine who I served with during the first Gulf war. He is now an FBI agent who believe it or not is an investigator in the Internet crimes division. Lastly I will inform the IRS of this transaction. This will be easy to prove with the trail of a wire transfer to your account. I am sure that they will be interested in the dealings of someone buying and selling used Porsches. Have you been reporting your entire transactions Mr. Leonard? The IRS takes a very dim view of tax evasion.
After all of that I will sue you. Mr. Leonard I am an Active duty US Marine and I have access to free legal services. I also have access to the Air Force Military Air Lift Command which means I can take leave and fly anywhere in the world on Space available flights for FREE. I can for instance fly to the Base at Dayton and stay in the BOQ for $5.00 a night while I sue you at almost no cost to me. You sir on the other hand will have to hire a lawyer to defend against this action.
After you are convicted I will contact the PCA in the region to inform them of your actions in addition I will let it be know at both the Porsche dealers in the area of the fact that you were convicted of wire fraud.
Mr. Leonard, return my money or suffer the consequences. You have to ask your self is keeping $1000.00 that you know in your heart does not belong to you worth the risk of a federal investigation for criminal activity? Can your life stand up to that? Do you want investigators and IRS auditors digging through your banking records? Is it worth it to you? Make contact with me and all of this can be avoided. If you have spent the money and simply don’t have it right now then contact me and let me know this. I am an equitable man and we can work out a repayment schedule.
Do this not and I will let slip the dogs of war upon you in the form of every legal method available to me.

You have been warned.

Opinions?

IPSC

Last edited by IPSC; 03-31-2004 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:03 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send it.
We still may drive up to his place for a visit on Tuesday. Just to say Hi.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:08 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't heard from Ted yet, I will follow up again today, he may be out of town.

I am not an attorney, but I do work in a legal department and deal with lawsuits on a daily basis. That said, I suggest that you re-write your letter to containg only the facts of the situation, with the deadline for his response. Statements like "Who do you think they are going to believe? A Decorated US Marine combat veteran who holds security clearances to handle Classified Materials (who incidentally, just served in the invasion of IRAQ) or shady used car guy?" would best be left out.

Regards,

Jeremy
Old 03-31-2004, 09:08 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

a bit much.. but hes ****in with the wrong crowd.

btw.. if it comed down to an angry mob.. im game
Old 03-31-2004, 09:13 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got it edited

IPSC
Old 03-31-2004, 09:21 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

lets see it first. honestly your 1st one was too much and too 'threatening" in a bad way. id like to see it and, perhaps give some advice
Old 03-31-2004, 09:23 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It might be worth checking with the local PD again, only this time don't mention the money until after you tell them about the missing windshield VIN, the mismatched VINs and the offer for sale with title or without, throw in that he has multiple cars for sale. It might be different in Ohio, but here a used car dealer needs to be licensed by the state (more than X cars a year is considered a dealer, I think the number is 5). The VIN issues are even better, I'm used to a fairly uptight state when it comes to titles (if it doesn't have one, it's a parts car 'cause you'll never be able to register it) but here you could be 99% sure he's selling stolen cars. If he has a red S2, let Tom R know about it.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:55 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by tifosiman
I am not an attorney, but I do ... would best be left out.
[/B]
"I am not an attorney, but I do".. what.. Play one on TV??

I thought it was time for a little levity.

Please Note.. The above quoted text was taken out of context and plagerized, edited and truncated to illicit comedic tone.
Jeremy, I apologize in advance.

(Now that the legal disclaimer is there, To those who know where I live----

I have a warning, uh opportunity, that's it..- we may be able to put NOS stickers on an white Acura this weekend- anybody in? Oh yeah, gotta change the plugs. (About 40 HP gain!) I heard it's running on 2 1/2 cylinders. I was thinking a huge yellow NOS sticker on the back window.. and a cardboard "surfboard" wing on the back- painted silver of course..)

It's already got tinted windows (IIRC?)and alloys..
3:00 Saturday. my place. Somebody bring cardboard and kitty litter...
Old 03-31-2004, 10:11 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

I would try this instead.

Mr. Leonard
Today is the 30th of March. On the 25th of March I was not able to reach you at either of the provided phone numbers, so I informed you via email that I did not wish to purchase your car.

After the pre purchase inspection at North Land Porsche I learned the vehicle had been repainted a different color, the general condition of the car was less than represented. Moreover, contrary to your statements, the air-conditioning doesn’t work, and the the list of faults with the car is an entire page long.

While the definition of the term “condition” is subjective thing, based on the PPI I decided it was not the car for me.

I provided you the necessary information to return my deposit via bank wire, which I sent to you in good faith to hold the car. You have not returned my deposit and your refusal to answer my calls and emails leads me to believe you have no intention of returning my good faith deposit. If you somehow believe that you are entitled to this deposit please contact me and explain why you believe you are entitled to my thousand dollar deposit that I sent you after you stated it would be promptly returned should the independant PPI not be satisfactory to me.

I again ask you to please make contact with me, either by telephone or if you do not wish to speak to me then by email. It is my understanding I can contact with the Ohio State Attorney Generals office and the Federal Bureau of Investigations Internet crime unit for wire fraud because the funds crossed state lines and is over $550.

I am an Active duty US Marine and I have access to free legal services and the Air Force Military Air Lift Command which enables me to fly anywhere in the world on Space available flights for free.

Please ask yourself if you really want to keep the $1000.00 from someone actively fighting for your freedom. The deposit I gave you in good faith was money I earned while overseas. This is blood money for me, and appeal to your decency to please return the money that you know in your heart does not belong to you.

If for some reason you don’t have the money right now then contact me and let me know so we can work out a repayment schedule.

Last edited by Tom R.; 03-31-2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:16 AM
Flight_951
Pro

Sounds good. I would add that Mr. Leonard stated the deposit was refundable, if indeed he did. By saying it was "understood" to be refundable, that leaves wiggle room.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:18 AM
prophesized
Instructor

wow guys im totally blown away by the support you are all giving to IPSC. ive never seen that before on any other message board ive been to. this makes me want to own a porsche even more now.

IPSC, i hope everything works out for you.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:19 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Well done Tom. Keep it short and to the point.

IPSC, take Tom's suggestion. It's free, not too often you get that from a lawyer.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:31 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I edited it to change it from understanding to you stated.

now you see why some lawyers drive mullets and 944s while others drive 996s
Old 03-31-2004, 10:44 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom, is that YOU?
Old 03-31-2004, 11:06 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Since I was even "86" and Adrial shared my car as "89" (my wife ran 99) and the cars in the staging area are even, I would have to say that is me about to murderize that cone. However, I do belive I spared it at the very last moment when I realized the gate I wanted was to the left. Thanks to a little rear wheel steering aided by the throttle aka rear wheel steering input device.

i think i left a lot or dry rotted rubber on that lot.

Quick Reply: Having trouble with the seller of a 951 in OHIO