Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

400lb springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 11:38 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400lb springs

Last edited by 944CS; 02-20-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:55 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

I'm not aware of "lowering springs" of that stout a rate. The kind of springs you are contemplating are for coilovers (too small in diameter). You can perhaps figure out a length that will give you the height you want, but it would be a bit of luck to get some just right since they go by the inch, and they will still be too small as mentioned.

You might also want to consider forgetting doing only one end at a time. You will make the car a Handling Fright Pig unless you keep the BALANCE in the spring rates. These cars understeer bad enough in stock form, and going from 125 F&R to 400F & 125R does NOTHING to improve that for sure.

Suspensions are a SYSTEM!
Old 03-25-2004, 09:03 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 400lb springs

Originally posted by 944CS
I wanna get lowering springs that are also in the 400-500lb range....i think 440 is a popular number......my question is where do i get them and how much do they cost? just front springs nothing with the rear yet
What's a "944CS" ?

To answer your question directly, and without without a long diatribe, yes you can get 400lb springs for your car. Go to www.paragon-products.com. Then go to the online catalog, pick "944 parts", then go to "suspension". Paragon has an adjustable ride height kit that you can install that converts the front struts, and enables you to run with whatever spring rate (2.5" springs, the kit comes with a pair) you would like. Being that they are ride-height adjustable, you can then make your car as low as you want it to be.

Hope that helps.

Jeremy
Old 03-25-2004, 09:22 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 400lb springs

just front springs nothing with the rear yet
I'll try to put this as nicely as I can,

ARE YOU INSANE!?!?!

JK but have you thought this through?
Old 03-25-2004, 09:36 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

You're right, Ferrariboy;

I should really try much harder to answer questions indirectly, without factual merit, and not to offer people GOOD ADVICE that they don't want. Far be it from me to think I should endeavor to stem the tide of their ignorance.

It is not the Rennlist way to help people.

It will be hard, but I'll try... just for you.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:56 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally posted by RedlineMan
You're right, Ferrariboy;

I should really try much harder to answer questions indirectly, without factual merit, and not to offer people GOOD ADVICE that they don't want. Far be it from me to think I should endeavor to stem the tide of their ignorance.

It is not the Rennlist way to help people.

It will be hard, but I'll try... just for you.
Ferrari boy? Puleeeze.

I wasn't ragging on you directly, I was just trying to answer his question directly, which was not done until my post. If it ruffles your delicate feathers, that's your freakin' problem. Grow up. And learn how to make a roll bar that does not have weld bb's rolling around in the crossbar and making noise everytime I turn a corner.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:18 AM
Dave
Race Car

[sarcasm]Thanks John, I feel better now, I didn't want my post to sound too nasty and thanks to your's...it doesn't anymore![/sarcasm]
Old 03-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Ok, back to 944CS's question. Actually, I have some questions for HIM:
What is it you are trying to accomplish? (Insert joke about making a 944 handle like a Civic.... sorry....) What will you be using your car for? Daily driving? Autocross? Driver's Ed? Club Racing? Why are you looking for such a heavy spring rate? That is WAY too heavy a spring rate if you are not going to do anything to the rear. That is also WAY too heavy a spring rate if you are just starting off getting into performance driving (DE's, autox...etc). Actually, for autox, I wouldn't recommend more than 200lbs max: there just isn't enough force exerted on the springs in an autocross to make it effective (for spring rates over 200lbs). But I digress...

Now, let's assume that 944CS has experience with performance driving. In that case, with 400 lb springs, you'd really need to do something in the back to balance out the car, as John and Dave have suggested. There are two routes you can go with: keep the stock torsion bars in place, and use 150-200lb helper springs, or swap out your stock torsion bars and put in beefier ones. (Note: in order to get to the torsion bars, the whole rear end of the car must be dropped! )

One thing you need to be aware of: lowering the 944 will add undue stress on other suspension components. Now you have an early 944, so you don't have to worry as much about your A-arms cracking, since they are not made of aluminum. HOWEVER: you still have to make sure the rest of your suspension can handle the extra stress! Your car is 20 years old. Unless you've done anything else to your suspension, your suspension is also 20 years old. (Funny how those numbers match!) If that is the case, then that means your bushings are tired, your shocks are shot...etc. Better to focus on replacing worn parts rather than lowering your car using super stiff springs.

Bottom line: I think 400lb springs (even with the helper rears or new torsion bars) is too heavy a setup for our cars, unless you are an expert driver. And just putting 400lb springs in the front is really going to make your car handle like crap: it will understeer (ie plow) like crazy!

-Z-man.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:19 AM
944CS
Drifting

i am aware of the understeer effects that it will have temporarily while i have stock rear suspension...what i was saying was there is so much readily available stuff for the rear while i can't find anything besides $$$coilovers and weltmeister springs for the front. the car will be used for drivers ed...thats why i want such a high spring rate and i don't have money to buy everything at once i'm about to go to college i'm doin things one at a time....FVD sells progressive springs but they are only 20% stiffer which makes that around 154 lbs but i have seen progressive springs on 944 koni shocks which where progressive and 400 some lbs.......p.s no i will not driver's ed the car with 400lb springs in front and stock in the rear
Old 03-25-2004, 11:22 AM
944CS
Drifting

ok....thanks i went to the paragon site they are much cheaper than i thought
Old 03-25-2004, 11:26 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

ok....thanks i went to the paragon site they are much cheaper than i thought
You're welcome!
Old 03-25-2004, 11:41 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Two more questions:
1. How much DE experience do you have, 944CS?
2. What's wrong with just using your stock suspension?

I run DE's with my 944S2 that has it's original stock suspension. (Only upgrades are thicker 19mm rear sway bar and Koni Yellows factory option) BTW: I run in the WHITE run group (upper-intermediate). If you are starting out with DE's, then 400lbs is WAY too much for you to handle.

-Z-man.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:18 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Originally posted by Z-man
Two more questions:
1. How much DE experience do you have, 944CS?
2. What's wrong with just using your stock suspension?

I run DE's with my 944S2 that has it's original stock suspension. (Only upgrades are thicker 19mm rear sway bar and Koni Yellows factory option) BTW: I run in the WHITE run group (upper-intermediate). If you are starting out with DE's, then 400lbs is WAY too much for you to handle.

-Z-man.
I definately agree... i would never have 550# springs, adjustable EVERYTHING, a rollcage, slicks and NO experience......

Old 03-25-2004, 01:43 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Dan Gallagher
I definately agree... i would never have 550# springs, adjustable EVERYTHING, a rollcage, slicks and NO experience......

Yeah, cause when mostly stock cars pass you like you're standing still, despite your mad "WTF" Suspension, it makes you look silly!
Old 03-25-2004, 01:46 PM
Dave
Race Car

Originally posted by Z-man
Yeah, cause when mostly stock cars pass you like you're standing still, despite your mad "WTF" Suspension, it makes you look silly!
What he said!!
Where's zone 1 going to be held this year?

Quick Reply: 400lb springs