Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chips

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Krazygrkm3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chips

What is the "best" chip for a 944 turbo? Ive seen products from many different people and some give hp gains and others dont im lookin for a good hp number but still an all around good chip.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:48 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

I have heard.. Lately with all the blended types of fuel being produced chips arent safe......They dont work correctly. Anyone care to comment?
Old 03-21-2004, 12:53 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guru.....hands down I think you'll find that's the general feeling of those of us who have tried more than one.

Basically the whole game works like this: When you are a part throttle, the chip will let the O2 sensor monitor the A/F ratio and keep you running pretty much the way the stock system will. When you go full throttle and the O2 sensor output is ignored by the computer, you go by the fuel maps on the chips. Guru chips typically give you a slightly richer A/F than the stock chips will, somewhere near 12.5:1. This is typically where turbo cars need to be to get best power and the least chance for problems. The standard chips from most remove the stock boost limit and allow you to run 15psi of boost. My suggestion would be to make sure your engine maintenance is up to par (run some injector cleaner, new fuel filter, new air filter, check for vacuum leaks, etc.) first. Then I'd suggest getting an aftermarket boost gauge to monitor your real boost levels and now as inexpensive as the wideband monitoring systems are, I'd suggest investing in one of those as well so that you can see your real AFR. If you can do that and monitor to make sure you stay in a good place when under boost, then these fuels aren't going to make a big difference. Fuel today is much better overall than it was 20 years ago. Manufacturing nowadays produces a much more accurate product molecular wise than it used to. They can actually control how much fuel of a certain type they will get from a barrel of oil to a pretty good degree.

If you follow those steps you can have a very good running car for a fairly reasonable amount and be ready to move up if you decide to beyond that later. You'll also be able to monitor how well your engine is running much more accurately as well.

Don't forget a wastegate upgrade either....stock wastegates at this point in their lives are getting pretty weak and it does no good if you are losing your new boost through a weak wastegate!

I guess you can see that chips aren't just a toss in and go type upgrade....some people do and then might have a bad result and blame the chips, but you want to make sure you have a solid foundation to build on.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Krazygrkm3
Advanced

guru? i havnt heard of these... where can i get a set?
Old 03-22-2004, 10:51 PM
'86 944 turbo
Burning Brakes

Guru chips are #1..... www.gururacing.net
Old 03-22-2004, 10:57 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Guru, they are great chips!
~Eyal
Old 03-23-2004, 01:59 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guru chips for the NA?
Old 03-23-2004, 06:23 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Gurus as well. They are great!
Old 03-23-2004, 10:01 AM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

has anyone heard of the one that performance products have? it claims a 40hp increase plus you can get if specified for the type of fuel ur running. anyone care to comment?
i personally have the guru set.
"OT" i recently aquired a turbo don't know if it'll work on a 951. it came of a detroit diesel engine. does anyone know if it'll work on a gas engine car. plus the succker weighs about 20-25 lbs nad from what i can tell it' output housing is about 5-6 in in dia.
there's no play in the shaft and it spins freely. no sign of damage to it.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:28 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guru doesn't have any chips that I know of for the NA.....just isn't any real power to be found through chips on them. The turbos benefit because you can easily up the boost and fuel which means more power. You could add more fuel pretty easily, but without something to force more air in, you wouldn't be making more power.

Performance Products could be either the chips or the MAF kit. There are other companies that offer both. The Autothority MAF kit doesn't require any tuning, but as has been mentioned, you can't make other mods without reburning your chips as they won't work right. Most of the other MAFs have a tuning device that you can use to adjust your fuel if it's not correct or when you make more mods to compensate. The best of those now datalog and let you make those changes through a laptop which you can hook up and tune your car, at least IMHO as you can see what's really going on under the hood and adjust various places in the rpm range more accurately.

The turbo may or may not be designed for the right type of application.....for your car it may be too large to be driven at the right speeds by your exhaust to produce a good level of boost. I'm not enough of a turbo guru to tell you more.

Quick Reply: Chips